Suck at crossers

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam17

Im new to shooting, so not the best anyway... But crossers in particular I super struggle with, to the point where once or twice I have got to a stand, seen its a crosser and just walked on to the next.

Im not into competitions, I just go to bust some clays on my days off. But it would be nice to be able to hit the things...

How do you get your head back in the game of persuing the 'hard' target??

One pleasant surprise was that I was able to consistently hit a high flying driven midi! When the last time I went I couldn't hit it for anything.....

Im new to shooting, so not the best anyway... But crossers in particular I super struggle with, to the point where once or twice I have got to a stand, seen its a crosser and just walked on to the next.

Im not into competitions, I just go to bust some clays on my days off. But it would be nice to be able to hit the things...

One pleasant surprise was that I was able to consistently hit a high flying driven midi! When the last time I went I couldn't hit it for anything.....
Firstly as a beginner, this post doesn't belong in the sports psychology section. It will be a technical (learning) issue at this stage. Its also impossible to comment without seeing you miss them.. But if you see me at a ground I promise to advise as best I can. But if you go for a practice, try the good old pull away method and experiment with lead until you find it..

maybe go and practice some skeet.

I think beginners have trouble shooting "to miss" in front, also crossers need more lead than targets at any other angle so this might be a clue.

I would find an easy shoot (like "three counties" - 30 minutes south of Reading) and get some practise before moving on to tougher shoots. As Nick says, Skeet is great practise for crossers too, it's only £7.50 a round (plus ammo) at Bisley.

a couple of sessions with a coach would help at this stage.

Stopping the gun after pulling the trigger? - follow through + a hundred other issues. But as Will says, its impossible to say without seeing you shoot

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you self taught ? Learned with mates who aren’t much better than you  ? If the answer to either of those is yes , consider having some formal instruction . If you don’t have a  basic system that you can work through when you see a target , all random practice will do is reinforce bad technique .  

I would second having a lesson to ensure you have the basics in place if you haven't already had one. I also recommend watching a few videos online in the meantime as having a rough idea of what you should be doing is a good start, even if the execution can be a bit trickier... This one is a good start.

What a wonderful piece of kit the ShotKam is, one day all Clay shooting tutorials will be done like this

Where abouts in the country are you? I know a great instructor that shoots at park lodge.

So how do you determine he is a great instructor?

How much experience do you have?
I should of added an “in my opinion” on the end. I never claimed a wealth of experience. I’ve had a few instructors in the past and the latest one has been great (in my opinion). I know others that also have the same “opinion” as me.

Suppose it’s all subjective what one person may like another may not. How do we determine anything or anybody is great?

I’m in the same boat, you need someone experienced stood there telling you how much behind you are with the shot until you can judge it yourself it’s the only sensible solution. I’m very poor at crossers when shooting alone I always underestimate the lead required. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back