Sporting with a Trap Stock

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldabt

Is a trap stock just higher in the comb than a sporting stock. Seems from looking at some famous British shooters on YouTube that they’re using Trap stocks for both game and clays. It also seems that the idea that a higher comb leads to a high POI is not universally believed either. Beginning to think that a multi choke Trap gun is now actually the ideal all rounder and not the multi choke Sporter. 

adj comb  , multi choke sporter  is best for sporting  ,  I have had several trap guns  " sporterised "       ( lowered comb ,   bored out  etc )     never lasted long  !!! 

Is a trap stock just higher in the comb than a sporting stock. Seems from looking at some famous British shooters on YouTube that they’re using Trap stocks for both game and clays. It also seems that the idea that a higher comb leads to a high POI is not universally believed either. Beginning to think that a multi choke Trap gun is now actually the ideal all rounder and not the multi choke Sporter. 
Does depend what your definition of a Trap gun is because what the Americans use for their Trap and how they set their guns up is quite different to over here for instance. I'm one of those who believes a higher comb doesn't necessarily mean higher POI and that it doesn't negatively impact your scores even if it did. 

Worth bearing in mind that in pure "fit" and ergonomics sense a Trap stock is not the same as a Sporting stock with a raised adjustable comb, with the latter you may well achieve a higher eye line placement but the stock itself will still (and always) be sitting a tad lower in the shoulder, true Trap stocks aren't just higher in the comb, the whole stock is higher. 

There are many advantages to this including a more in line recoil phase and of course the eye(s) have a better, less interrupted view of the target and its surrounding area. 

Ask 50 people and you will get 50 different opinions.Me, i just like trap guns for everything - fixed choke mind, none of this fiddling on each stand. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I used my trap gun for a round of sporting the other week and can report that I was as sh*te as I am with any of my other guns.... just saying 🤣

I've just bought an MK38 Trap gun to try for sporting (it has been multichoked and has had an adj trigger fitted -  but the stock is standard trap).

It actually shoots flatter than my current 'sporter' (a Perazzi MX12 sporter with an unusually high comb) so I'm having to relearn some sight pictures.

Moral of this story -  the Trap/Sporter delineation is pretty academic! Find a gun that works for YOU, it doesn't matter what the manufacturer or anybody else wants to call it....

Wasn't there some vague definition that a 'Sporter' would throw something like 60/40 pattern (from a centre line between the barrels) whereas a trap gun would throw 70/30 to favour rising, going away targets? 

Wasn't there some vague definition that a 'Sporter' would throw something like 60/40 pattern (from a centre line between the barrels) whereas a trap gun would throw 70/30 to favour rising, going away targets? 
Yes that is about right as a rule of thumb

Most trap stocks also have a tight radius grip which I find uncomfortable. I prefer the open radius grip of a sporter stock but like a high comb height so it has to be an adjustable. 

I have just set up a new adjustable stock for my dt11. My sporter stock was plenty low enough at 35-55. Finally settled on 38-46-60 which is pretty much bang on the same as a CG ascent. Its created a slightly more parallel comb and just yhe right amount of lift. I researched a variety of off the shelf comb heights and the variation was massive. Lowest being mk60 and 70 sporters, highest being browning trap guns.

As a side interest a video from BH on the fieldsports channel has just come out today on gun fit.

I have just set up a new adjustable stock for my dt11. My sporter stock was plenty low enough at 35-55. Finally settled on 38-46-60 which is pretty much bang on the same as a CG ascent. Its created a slightly more parallel comb and just yhe right amount of lift. I researched a variety of off the shelf comb heights and the variation was massive. Lowest being mk60 and 70 sporters, highest being browning trap guns.

As a side interest a video from BH on the fieldsports channel has just come out today on gun fit.
Just watched it, excellent video and some telling points he made including the fact that most guns today are too front heavy to start with, been saying this for years meself which just proves manufacturers don't really understand the subject themselves !! Not sure you can assume the hinge pin is the centre of all guns though, in fact I know you can't, not even on identical guns if one has an extended piece added or an especially thick pad for instance or with and without extended chokes !! 

Don't get me started on gun weight, weight distribution and balance!

I've tried Brownings that are SO front heavy  that I cant move them, and Berettas that were SO stock heavy I couldn't control the barrels....Both off the shelf guns owned by friends.

Currently I have a gun with Tim Greenwood;  it will be a delight when I get it back as it will balance where I want it to...…..and it will look pretty.

There is a reason MK38 trap guns end up being used as a universal tool . It’s simply that they give most people a good sight picture straight from the box , have very  point -able  light barrels, partly I suspect due to  being free from a swage to accommodate  long thick multichokes . 

I’m a great believer in gunfitting . On Tuesday I have an appointment with Brian Webster for my 20g Mk60 Miroku,  it’s had 3 outings by me and my mount checked by Aaron Meggison which confirmed my thoughts I’m to the left . So it’s time to get the woodwork sorted before the game season , then when it’s been fettled  down to Teague Precision for the other end . 

Don't get me started on gun weight, weight distribution and balance!

I've tried Brownings that are SO front heavy  that I cant move them, and Berettas that were SO stock heavy I couldn't control the barrels....Both off the shelf guns owned by friends.

Currently I have a gun with Tim Greenwood;  it will be a delight when I get it back as it will balance where I want it to...…..and it will look pretty.
If you’re having any work done by Tim it will be spot on. His work is first class. I’m only 4’11” and have short arms so no gun fits me off the shelf. He got hold of my MK38 and transformed it. Wish he was still up in Kent, he is sorely missed in the South East.

Back