Forgot how to shoot!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Griff

As title says, been progressing well, shot a pb 41/50 two weeks ago followed by Sunday’s ‘adventure’ when I literally froze on a couple of stands and had absolutely no idea what to do? It was totally bizarre and a little worrying and I have no idea why it happened 🤷‍♂️  And I mean I literally had absolutely no idea what to do, mount was wrong, couldn’t decide where to look or what to do. Same ground, similar targets just an absolute car crash. Any ideas?

might be the gun actually and time to upgrade 😂😂😂?

cheers

john.

If you can shoot a PB then what’s wrong with your gun?

Chances are it’s you I’m afraid ....sorry, it’s happened to us all, ‘on fire’ one week and ‘car crash’ the next. 

In my personal experience I’d have a good shoot or two and then get a bit complacent or lazy and lose focus. Maybe have a break for a week or two....?

A big part of hitting any target is in the prep...foot position, pick up and hold points and then sharp focus on the target....then letting your body take over. 

Good luck and best wishes 👍

Same I’ll shoot really well and then like a wally.  It’s like a cycle.   You may have subconsciously wanted to better your PB and then you put pressure on yourself and when it starts going wrong you just add to that pressure and it’s all down hill from there.   For most of us it is a rollercoaster.

if i have a few weeks off shooting iam the same. and its always the middle range stuff i go into the stand and have no idea what lead to give.

I wouldn’t worry about it , happens to most people . It could be worse you could have paid a small fortune for a driven pheasant day . Mentally wrap the day up and throw it in the bin before you shoot again . 

I once forgot how to change gear in my car 😂

I’d have a good shoot or two and then get a bit complacent or lazy and lose focus.
Been there many, many times, especially in the early days.

I'd have a great shoot and couldn't wait to get back for another shoot, the next shoot is pretty average because, sub-conciously, you think it's going to happen again without even trying.

These days I try to forget previous results and to do the best I can on the day

Last edited by a moderator:
I get exactly the same, generally lasts about a month/six weeks. Usually just before the classification cut offs.  :oops:

I wouldn’t worry about it , happens to most people . It could be worse you could have paid a small fortune for a driven pheasant day . Mentally wrap the day up and throw it in the bin before you shoot again . 

I once forgot how to change gear in my car 😂
and it was an automatic! :)   :)   :)  

I have stamped on the brake at 50 mph forgetting that my car is auto not my works manual truck!

I have stamped on the brake at 50 mph forgetting that my car is auto not my works manual truck!
Ha, I have done similar. Problem I have now is everything is opposite way round on me truck than me work van so indicate instead of wipers and vice versa is a daily occurrence 😁.

PS

As an aside, 1985 I hired a ford Sierra for a business meeting in centre of London it's 300 mile ish, got there and half way back before I realised it had 5 gears, I wondered why it was revving it's nuts off at 90mph 😃 5 gears was a fairly new thing in the olden days 😁

So you were shooting and automatic - WTF does that have to do with car brakes !?!?!  Talk about some strange Foo King thread drift !!!

So you were shooting and automatic - WTF does that have to do with car brakes !?!?!  Talk about some strange Foo King thread drift !!!
Or more to the point:- the previous chap. Said about forgetting to change gear and then this chap made a quip about it being an automatic.....hence stamping in the brake because there is no clutch pedal. 

Just my take on it, I got the joke 🤣

I have a mental check list to address the bird, to avoid the occasional "blanking" out on the stand. Now the problem is remembering the check list! 

I have a mental check list to address the bird, to avoid the occasional "blanking" out on the stand. Now the problem is remembering the check list! 
One needs to clip it on the side of the barrels. You can then read it with the 'spare eye' while the other looks for the target. This may cure two things, memory and eye dominance!!!!!!  😁

Latest posts

Back