9 shot.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy

I shot a stand at highwayman's today it was a left to right climbing clay going up and over some trees probably about 30/35 yards where most people shot it followed by a fast looper from the right and going mid height and away about 25 yards when shot. I put a 7 1/2 in first barrel and a 9 in the 2nd. I missed the first clay shot the looper and hit both clays. The first was well over 60 yards and it didn't just break in half it really smashed it. 

The rules open to a bit of interpretation IMO.

7.15 In simultaneous pairs the competitor has the right to shoot either of the targets first. Should the Competitor hit both targets together with either the first or second shot; the result will be scored pair scored.

7.16 In any regular pair the competitor having missed the first target may fire their second cartridge at the same target, the result being scored on the first target, the second target being counted as lost unless the shot breaks both targets.
Tell the marker you have shot at the same target twice and break both, its pair kill. It doesn't actually state what is scored if you shoot at the second clay and both break...

Tell the marker you have shot at the same target twice and break both, its pair kill. It doesn't actually state what is scored if you shoot at the second clay and both break...
Admittedly it just doesn't happen often enough to worry about but it does seem that if having missed, the shooter elects to shoot at the second target, the pair killed scenario is open to interpretation, either way I don't think it's cricket being awarded a missed bird that's clearly been sent on a different trajectory, unlike simmo's which more often than not are only frequently broken with the second shot if thrown along the same path. 

I’ve done the same in STR.

There are various awkward situations that crop up. Happened to me twice at Westfield today. In each case I was smashing the pairs nicely. On one stand, the first clay, a battue, was a real no bird, way too high. I shot at it, missed it, hit second bird (a teal). Very young ref, just looked startled. Crowd watching said “that’s not right” mostly. One fella “Well he shot at it..”. Trouble is, with an inexperienced ref who doesn’t call no bird, you do tend to shoot at them.. Anyway, took pair again, hit them.

On a later high platform stand, there was a simple going away and a rabbit. First three pairs killed. Last pair, the away came out really high. Again, I hit it, but there was a big delay as I hesitated, followed it up, shot it. Of course, the rabbit was then hard to pick up as I brought gun way down to the ground below me, stabbed at it and missed. Kept mouth shut, took the loss, but irritated.. 

Tell the truth, its just a hobby

I’ve done the same in STR.

There are various awkward situations that crop up. Happened to me twice at Westfield today. In each case I was smashing the pairs nicely. On one stand, the first clay, a battue, was a real no bird, way too high. I shot at it, missed it, hit second bird (a teal). Very young ref, just looked startled. Crowd watching said “that’s not right” mostly. One fella “Well he shot at it..”. Trouble is, with an inexperienced ref who doesn’t call no bird, you do tend to shoot at them.. Anyway, took pair again, hit them.

On a later high platform stand, there was a simple going away and a rabbit. First three pairs killed. Last pair, the away came out really high. Again, I hit it, but there was a big delay as I hesitated, followed it up, shot it. Of course, the rabbit was then hard to pick up as I brought gun way down to the ground below me, stabbed at it and missed. Kept mouth shut, took the loss, but irritated.. 
It happens with experienced ones too, on one stand at Owls my last (already tricky) high rising R/L curling clay went way off trajectory (getting much trickier) and when no call came from the ref I just had to fire at it and was lucky to break it. In fairness it must be fairly hard to call every single "no bird" but he did say he thought I'd hit anyway which I took to mean had I missed he'd have allowed pair again. 

If I'm not mistaken in Skeet a similar scenario of breaking two simmo's with one shot can actually result in a docked point if repeated three times in a row !! 

some may say that (and did) but i prefer to think it was down to almost god given levels of shooting ability and and speed of thought.
Yeah, yeah....... if that’s what you believe...😅

I thought this was all about the suprise of 9 shot breaking a approx 60 yd bird but no ones mentioned that?

Back in the mid 80's a club I belonged to called Cinque Ports used to have the odd clay comp off the back of a ferry to Boulogne and back 😆  we used to pile into a mini bus with all our guns and once away from port we set up three manual traps throwing pairs going away into the sea left centre and right. Anywho I called for my last pair on one stand and having trouble standing up in the wind managed to let this orange pair get ridiculously far off and just let rip with 32g Winchester Trap 100 9's just before they hit the sea and to everyones utter amazement they both shattered into a thousand pieces, bear in mind the ship was moving away as we shot the range must have been all of 60-70+ yards. 

Back in the mid 80's a club I belonged to called Cinque Ports used to have the odd clay comp off the back of a ferry to Boulogne and back 😆  we used to pile into a mini bus with all our guns and once away from port we set up three manual traps throwing pairs going away into the sea left centre and right. Anywho I called for my last pair on one stand and having trouble standing up in the wind managed to let this orange pair get ridiculously far off and just let rip with 32g Winchester Trap 100 9's just before they hit the sea and to everyones utter amazement they both shattered into a thousand pieces, bear in mind the ship was moving away as we shot the range must have been all of 60-70+ yards. 
I had heard of clay shooting from ferries but always thought it was a myth. I bet your glad you turned down that big  competition on the Titanic 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
I had heard of clay shooting from ferries but always thought it was a myth. I bet your glad you turned down that big  competition on the Titanic 😂
You wouldn't believe how relaxed the safety was, the Captain would announce things on the tannoy so passengers could come and watch !!

My friend is shooting 90% of compak layouts with 24g No 9 skeet loads and must admit, he does it very well.

As for myself - I truly believe that 9's have a magic spell on them minis and I always carry some of them just for the cause.

Latest posts

Back