normal glasses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limmy01

Going to my first cpsa reg shoot next Sunday and have been reading the rules in regards to glasses. I don't own any shooting glasses as I don't wear contacts and only have normal prescription glasses. Will i be ok to shoot in these or will they insist on safety glasses only?

Most refs won't notice as long as you are wearing some kind of glasses you should be ok

But if you're going to shoot comps regularly you should invest in a pair of shooting glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to my first cpsa reg shoot next Sunday and have been reading the rules in regards to glasses. I don't own any shooting glasses as I don't wear contacts and only have normal prescription glasses. Will i be ok to shoot in these or will they insist on safety glasses only?
In theory you should be wearing shooting/sports specific safety rather than prescription only glasses but as others have hinted in reality few will notice and fewer still will care which kind of reveals the absurdity behind the whole thing.

If you wear none at all however, the chances are one or two will not only notice but take umbrage too, especially if you happen to shoot better than them because, they figure, it must have somehow been an advantage not to. 👃  I have always found this rather amusing since the very same people will often be heard extolling the virtues of such and such supashade which makes clays stand out 👀  !  

I have them on my wish list to get the next time i visit the gun shop, just good to know i can still go to build up my points for a temp classification 

You could get a set of prescription safety glasses done for shooting purposes, if it would help you, rather than a 'prescription insert' pair of shooting glasses. I had a pair made, dark tint, polarised and impact resistant. I dont wear them, as i went to RE Ranger sporting glasses.

Wear whatever you like. The rule only states that some kind of eye protection is used, with only a minimum recommendation

2.68 The appropriate wearing of adequate and effective visible eye protection by competitors, scorers, trappers, officials and Spectators at, or around any shooting position at all registered events is mandatory. It is recommended that this protection be to a minimum standard of BS EN 166:2002.

Your eyes, your choice.

A couple of years ago my shooting glasses saved my right eye from a large piece of clay which hit hard enough to chip the polycarbonate lens and crack the frame. I would probably have lost the eye without the glasses. On another occasion a stray pellet pinged off one of the lenses. Probably not potentially destructive to the eye but nasty enough and quite likely a trip to A&E.

As to insisting shooters abide by the rule there are implications to this. When I'm reffing I'm just not willing to make big deal out of it. Even when I point out the rule many people just say they're not shooting in the competition anyway and don't see that the rule applies to them.

Apart from the aggro and probable complaints to the management by not allowing someone to shoot without eye protection, my take is that anyone who's willing to risk their eyesight when there are dozens of people of indeterminate skill using shotguns all around them, then they are totally stupid. And you can't fix stupid.

A couple of years ago my shooting glasses saved my right eye from a large piece of clay which hit hard enough to chip the polycarbonate lens and crack the frame. I would probably have lost the eye without the glasses. On another occasion a stray pellet pinged off one of the lenses. Probably not potentially destructive to the eye but nasty enough and quite likely a trip to A&E.

As to insisting shooters abide by the rule there are implications to this. When I'm reffing I'm just not willing to make big deal out of it. Even when I point out the rule many people just say they're not shooting in the competition anyway and don't see that the rule applies to them.

Apart from the aggro and probable complaints to the management by not allowing someone to shoot without eye protection, my take is that anyone who's willing to risk their eyesight when there are dozens of people of indeterminate skill using shotguns all around them, then they are totally stupid. And you can't fix stupid.
I totally disagree. If it’s a registered shoot then cpsa rules apply. It doesn’t matter if they are shooting birds only or competition entry.

I have and will continue to do so, to refuse to allow the shooter to shoot at any stand I’m reffing on. Yes I have had aggro from the shooter, but when you tell them they can’t shoot if they are blind, it tends to concentrate their minds somewhat.

Same apply’s with ear protection, one shooter told me he didn’t need ear protection because he was partially deaf, my reply was he’d be totally deaf if he carried on like that.

I do agree with you on “You can’t fix stupid “ though.

Each to their own Wyn. I used to insist until I realised that after the aggro stage, the offending shooter will simply borrow some glasses to shut you up then carry on with the rest of the shoot without them. Quite honestly, on ref's money I'm not willing any more to put up with avoidable grief. I'll mention the eye protection rule to them but I won't bar them if they want to risk their eyesight.

At Longridge on Easter Monday there were about 25 or 30 non registered folk out for a jolly day's shooting. Hardly any of them wore glasses and I don't think there would have been enough loaners in the office for all of them.

Perhaps it shouldn't be left totally to the ref, how about the shoot organisers mentioning it to the non registered entrants or even print it on the score cards.

Each to their own Wyn. I used to insist until I realised that after the aggro stage, the offending shooter will simply borrow some glasses to shut you up then carry on with the rest of the shoot without them. Quite honestly, on ref's money I'm not willing any more to put up with avoidable grief. I'll mention the eye protection rule to them but I won't bar them if they want to risk their eyesight.

At Longridge on Easter Monday there were about 25 or 30 non registered folk out for a jolly day's shooting. Hardly any of them wore glasses and I don't think there would have been enough loaners in the office for all of them.

Perhaps it shouldn't be left totally to the ref, how about the shoot organisers mentioning it to the non registered entrants or even print it on the score cards.
I just loooooove the aggro,  I thrive on it  !    😄     

But that’s the whole point of refs, we should be enforcing the rules, I have no problem in refusing to score those who ignore or disregard the rules.

If , by any slim chance a piece of clay injured a shooters eye, and that person made a claim on insurance and the HSE got involved, the first question to be asked is.... why did you let them shoot without mandatory eye protection. And as you are one pushing the buttons, who do you think will get the flack.

Let's be honest Wyn. Most of the "refs" are youngsters and many of the old farts like me aren't qualified anyway so for that reason alone we wouldn't get the flak. Different perhaps for the qualified refs.

Yep, your right, the youngsters haven’t the balls or back up from shoot organisers to confront those flouting the rules.

And, this is where us old farts need to stand up and say tough go see the shoot organiser.

Yep, your right, the youngsters haven’t the balls or back up from shoot organisers to confront those flouting the rules.

And, this is where us old farts need to stand up and say tough go see the shoot organiser.
That's okay up to a point but I've worked for about 9 or 10 shoots and the only one who's ever asked me to insist on glasses is Steve Lovatt. None of the others has ever mentioned it.

That's okay up to a point but I've worked for about 9 or 10 shoots and the only one who's ever asked me to insist on glasses is Steve Lovatt. None of the others has ever mentioned it.
There was a young lady ref at Westfield yesterday on the first stand as you go up the valley on the right who was not wearing glasses.  I pointed out that her eyes were too pretty and precious to lose.

I rarely work at Westfield as I've cut down a lot on reffing but I have in the past had to tell one or two of the younger ones to go back to the office and get some glasses. There was always a box of safety glasses for exactly that purpose.

The other ground owners are in dereliction of their duties.

One day clay shooting will wake up to find that someone has lost their sight through a preventable incident. The HSE will get involved with all that entails, and we will find that we are lumbered with a load of restrictions.

Here is a scenario..... A driven target some 45ft up is hit and breaks into numerous pieces these pieces then fall onto others who are waiting to shoot,or, anybody who’s walking past.  First thing that the HSE will do is ban driven targets, if that’s not possible,then mitigation effects come into force, an exclusion zone, Make everyone wear hard hats AND safety goggles  etc etc.

You can see where this is going, so it’s up to us to make noises to the ground owner about glasses, ear protection etc etc. If we don’t then we could well find ourselves using laser clays instead.  And I for one don’t ever want to go down that route.

Back