Excessively noisy cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmokinn

I have noticed when shooting Pool shoots/Sportrap,etc where you are in cages next to each other that some cartridges are vastly different in the amount of noise they make.

Most cartridges seem to be fine but some are stupidly excessive,yesterday the person to my left was shooting some Titanium strikes and my ear is still ringing (more so than my usual Tinnitus) i have noticed this with Black Gold as well.

Is it necessary and should it be a consideration for cartridge manufacturers?

You'll probably find it's down to the position of the shooter, their proximity to any solid or metallic objects and the topography of the land around them that determines the sharpness of the sound rather than the cartridge. I've noticed, on occasions, steel loaded shells seem slightly louder as is shot fired through ported barrels or a cutts compensator but that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Sportrap, the main issue I find is the shooter style. My mate tends to move the gun far back to the trap so it’s often pointing in my general direction (well, across me somewhat) more than some people would. Makes a real difference to the noise you cop. 

I have noticed when shooting Pool shoots/Sportrap,etc where you are in cages next to each other that some cartridges are vastly different in the amount of noise they make.

Most cartridges seem to be fine but some are stupidly excessive,yesterday the person to my left was shooting some Titanium strikes and my ear is still ringing (more so than my usual Tinnitus) i have noticed this with Black Gold as well.

Seriously? The obvious solution is to have no cartridges allowed and simply a spring loaded flag that pops out displaying bang! on a red flag... of course for those who simple cannot stand the sight of implied noise and desire a low recoil flag, flags in beige will available together with the bang! being in lower case and of course with out the exclaimation mark. A judge tells you is the traget was broken or not.

A mate of mine has ported barrels which are noticeably louder, I always take a couple of paces back when scoring for him. They don't do my Tinnitus any good either

No , it’s God’s way of telling you to invest in a set  of  MSA Sordin Pro , with Gel Earcups 👍

Not shooter position and yes Will that does make a difference and jwpzxr9 back to being a cock again?

Some cartridges are just far louder than others a couple of shooting grounds round here specifically do not allow there use because of this...the question is why they need to be so loud when they can be outperformed by far quieter cartridges.

Is it the type of powder/quantity i don't believe it can vary much.

If you've ever shot or stood next to someone shooting Baikal Rekords 😳  you will know there is most definitely such a thing as a louder than average shell. I think the reason is to do with the quantity as well as type of powder used (perhaps even the plaswad base configuration) in some shells, velocity alone doesn't appear to be the main issue though because for example Fiocchi FBlacks which tend to be loudish aren't particularly fast ?! 

In 2011 I bought a load of cheap cartridges which went off with the loudest bang I’ve ever heard from a 28gm load. Foolishly I carried on using them for sportrap and gave myself tinnitus from which I never recovered. At the time I mentioned it to a gunshop owner and former world sporting champion and his theory was that the cartridges used a cheap East European powder! Sorry can’t remember the name of them, they weren’t Baikal or Sellors and Belliot😃

I am new to reloading but i can tell you that from my very limited and recent experience there can be a noticeable difference in your bang simply by how much powder you drop, (seems pretty obvious the bigger the load of powder the bigger the bang) but there seems to be a lot more about cartridges than you imagine, even the crimp not just type but how good it is can have a dramatic effect on the end result. As i say i am new to the reloading game and i do not pretend to be any type of expert but maybe someone more experienced than i can elaborate...PS - my current recipe for a 28g load is definitely quieter than super fast, i have disected one in it has same or very similar powder but more of it than mine..

It's been my experience thru reloading about a bazillion carts w/ all sorts of different components that large (relatively) charges of slow burning powders are noticeably louder.  Usually.  High velocities mean lotsa powder and that makes for a longer burn that may extend past the muzzle.  So more BANG!  

OTOH I used a pretty fast 24gm using Alliance Promo powder (sorta like RedDot) load for skeet and the people I shot with asked me if I had .410 tubes in the gun it was so quiet.  And that was a 26" barrel BRNO O/U with factory shark gill ports like an old Perazzi Mirage.  

Go figger

Not shooter position and yes Will that does make a difference and jwpzxr9 back to being a cock again?

Some cartridges are just far louder than others a couple of shooting grounds round here specifically do not allow there use because of this...the question is why they need to be so loud when they can be outperformed by far quieter cartridges.

Is it the type of powder/quantity i don't believe it can vary much.
You might find they are using 32gram Cartridges, this goes on a lot around here with the Cheats. We had a Charity shoot on with the restriction of only use of 28gram fibre wads 7.5 shot, only to find a ref checking the carts of a well know cheat around here called J Dodds because of the noise the cartridges were making, only to find he was using 32gram plastic wad 5 AND 6 Shot carts. He was soon kicked up the a--e and told to leave the ground.

You might find they are using 32gram Cartridges, this goes on a lot around here with the Cheats. We had a Charity shoot on with the restriction of only use of 28gram fibre wads 7.5 shot, only to find a ref checking the carts of a well know cheat around here called J Dodds because of the noise the cartridges were making, only to find he was using 32gram plastic wad 5 AND 6 Shot carts. He was soon kicked up the a--e and told to leave the ground.
I actually mentioned it to the shooter and he concurred that they seemed loud and showed me one,A "Titanium Strike" still  a good point though Joe.

I ran my shoot on 30 acres of Sussex countryside. Woodland and pasture. And I could tell you where on the course @bebo was if she was using lyvale power reds. 

A ground I used to shoot had noise issues and was monitored, black golds with F2 powder were noticeably louder than most others. He had to ask people not to shoot them. From a field away the black golds gave a crack like a rifle that travelled where other carts were just a thumping bang similar to a gas cannon farmers use. Not very loud.

I do agree in sportrap that angle the gun goes bang makes a big difference, towards you across your position you can feel the sound wave hit you sometimes.

Seriously? The obvious solution is to have no cartridges allowed and simply a spring loaded flag that pops out displaying bang! on a red flag... of course for those who simple cannot stand the sight of implied noise and desire a low recoil flag, flags in beige will available together with the bang! being in lower case and of course with out the exclaimation mark. A judge tells you is the traget was broken or not.
Would these be plastic or fiber flags?

+1

Big Bang 9/10= Big load.

Latest posts

Back