Hodnet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynno

Just heard on the grapevine that Hodnet have been issued a noise abatement notice, and that they are allowed to hold a very limited number of two day events in the year.

I remember they had issues with someone who moved into the area sometime back, I hope it’s soon lifted and we can once again shoot at this wonderful ground

It is surprising how many occasions, people buy a house near or within earshot of a shooting ground, then bring a complaint to court causing either the ground to close completely or restricted use. My wife and myself stay at Highlodge, John Bidwell's ground at least twice a year and John has over the years build up a soil wall around the ground which now must be 40 feet high to stop noise being an issue in that area along with new shooting peg enclosures replacing the old existing ones. None of this makes the ground a pretty site but if it keeps the piece within  the region , good on yer JB.

I think over the years I have known of at least five grounds in the South Yorkshire area that have had forced closure. A club I used to be a member of in Sheffield lost a court case after being on the site for over 40 years, it was interesting that a Sheffield councillor's brother had bought land next door to build a hotel........ 

What I do not understand is how a newcomer can get away with these actions without a court saying that they should have been more careful in their house selection.

Phil

Totally agree with you Phil, and the sooner it stopped the better for all .

There's a long history of people moving to an area affected by noise then complaining incessantly to get it limited or even stopped.  Brands Hatch for example, was in the country when I was a teenager going to watch motorcycle racing, but for 50+ years the circuit has been fighting for it's existence against the nimbys who moved to new houses nearby. And there are thousands of people who complain to farmers about the noise of cattle or combines, or about crop spraying and use of chemicals.

So many people mistakenly think the countryside is a peaceful and quiet place where the birds sing, the streams tinkle, the trees rustle, Postman Pat brings the mail and nothing will disturb their afternoons in the garden with the Sunday paper and a gin & tonic.

There's a long history of people moving to an area affected by noise then complaining incessantly to get it limited or even stopped.  Brands Hatch for example, was in the country when I was a teenager going to watch motorcycle racing, but for 50+ years the circuit has been fighting for it's existence against the nimbys who moved to new houses nearby. And there are thousands of people who complain to farmers about the noise of cattle or combines, or about crop spraying and use of chemicals.

So many people mistakenly think the countryside is a peaceful and quiet place where the birds sing, the streams tinkle, the trees rustle, Postman Pat brings the mail and nothing will disturb their afternoons in the garden with the Sunday paper and a gin & tonic.
Isn’t that the truth, urbanites have such an idyllic picture of the rural life, that the reality hits them so 

hard that they feel they must do something to make it conform to their dreams

I personally think that all noisey venues what ever they are, should show up on the area search done by the solicitors. It should then be down to the purchaser if they wish to  continue, knowing of the possibility of the noise, with no redress against the venue. This should be mandatory, and enforced in law.

Isn’t that the truth, urbanites have such an idyllic picture of the rural life, that the reality hits them so 

hard that they feel they must do something to make it conform to their dreams 

Yes but have no grasp of the consequences of their actions on the lively hood of the people who have lived and worked in the countryside for years before they moved there !!! 

Totally agree that existing grounds should be safe guarded against noise complaints. 

If you move next to a motorway can ask to have it closed on Sundays so you can sleep in.

Hodnet was established as a shooting ground in 1934 !

The owners  have done nothing wrong , or different  for many years , but sadly it does appear that complainants win every time .

I doubt much will change at Hodnet , we'll still be there doing what we have always done , so I look forward to seeing you all at the English Open in May for five noisy days.😄

Well it seems things are being affected at Hodnet as just received an email from BICTSF saying dew to unforeseen circumstances they are having to move the two day FITASC sporting Grand Prix  from there and looks like it will be held at Garlands ! Such a shame that this great ground is being affected by busybodies who have no regard for others or their lively hood just their own  :hmm:

cant believe house buyers  don't have surveys carried out  on all aspects  of the potential  property and environment  it sits in ,     :aggressive:

We live in the country and embrace the noises that come with it, ie the farmer rents out the field for festivals a few times a year, a field for motor cross a few times a year, horse riding events etc.  We were talking to one of the parish councillors and he said that they’d had a complaint from a family who had just moved to the area about the cattle! Asked if they could ask the farmer to milk the cows at  a different time at the weekends as it wakes them up! 

had a new neighbour move in some years back, asked if I would mind getting rid of a few rabbits in the back field,why? went round to her garden she then showed me the 3 and 4 feet high roses the rabbits were taking large mouthfulls out of..ha, roe deer were the culprits, same one called emergency services thinking someone was being attacked, it was a vixen "calling" for company lets say....

We all have tales to tell, and I can’t believe that the council puts the interests of a relatively new arrival over the interests of a well established business that brings income into what is a relatively sparse area of employment.

I wonder if this ground will actually be here a year from now, given the onerous restrictions imposed upon it.....

What are the actual restrictions being put on it ? As they have as Salopian  said five days of competition for the E.O in may ?

I would hope that Mr Jones would have a very good legal team already looking into it to thwart this threat they face 

I doubt the hoteliers,pubs etc in the area will be to none  happy about all the cancelled bookings they will now be having for this weekend as I believe the entry was full for the Fitasc 

Shame all of us cant swoop in and get a good deal on a house near a shooting ground. The noise wouldnt bother me a jot, it would just mean I know when the ground's open :)

Latest posts

Back