MX12 swap for my browning 725

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Lewis

Been looking at a MX12 sported 2nd. Peoples thoughts on them better than 8s? Looking at getting a custom stock on it aswell .

I have an MX12.  Beautiful gun. But like all guns they need to fit.  Certainly the Perazzi is a far better built gun (IMO) than a Browning or a Beretta or a Krieghoff.  Triggers are (just) about the best in the business.  The MX8 is better still.  But the 12 has more wood around the action as the 8 has drop out triggers.  The stocks are less likely to crack.  

Having said that, the 725's trigger pulls are awesome.  They are just a bit unreliable at times and need more servicing.

Perazzi.........make sure you get one that has the right barrel weight for you.  I'm all for either getting it made at the factory.....or shooting a use one.  That way you know where it is pointing.  I had an SC3 that shot the pattern 4ft above point of aim at 30yds.  Beautiful gun......couldn't hit a barn door with it.  

Fitting a custom stock will definitely get your head and hands in the right place.  I recently had the grip on mine altered and the difference was nothing short of amazing.

Good luck in your search!

MX12, coil springs and very crisp trigger pulls. I doubt you would find or notice any better on any gun. Standard wood is rather plain. They are built as a tool to do a job and shoot countless thousands of rounds. The reach to the trigger can be a bit on the long side, with no adjustable trigger. Can also be quite barrel heavy. A custom stock is really the only way, on a second hand gun if it doesn't fit very wel/at all - more expense!!! Black finish on the action wears off if not careful. MX2000S is also worth a look as an alternative. I bought one because i could, but my go to favourite is a Browning GTi trap gun. Horses for courses and all that

My HPX DSR is also on an MX12 action - a  Perazzi is a quality piece of engineering, beautifully finished, whether the components are visible or not.   Buying one used as Geordieboy has already indicated can be slightly more tricky than usual because the guns can be custom made for an individual at no extra cost (lots of variables i.e. there are multiple bore sizes for a 12g for example)  so even if you have all the documentation for the gun from brand new you simply can't tell.  So if you intend to buy used then you absolutely must try it before parting with your money. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agree with the earlier posters - lovely gun as long the spec is right for you.

i have looked at loads and last summer finally found one that was right for me:

Tight  bores (for fibre game shells), lightish (1570) 32” barrels, right overall weight (8.02) for me, high stock, plenty of length, correct (for me) grip etc etc.

it also had new wood and had been Teagued -  so the latter saved me another £500.

all I had to do was get a better recoil pad fitted.

If it had been on an MX8 action I would still have bought it. But I find the mx12 triggers are absolutely fine, regardless of the fact that the mx8 ones are allegedly better.

if you know exactly what you want then just keep looking until the right combination turns up.  The alternative is a new one custom built just for you - but that costs serious money and there is a pretty long waiting list these days.

I love my MX12. Had it 12 years and I’ve only had the triggers adjusted, stock reprofiled twice, chokes opened out and a recoil system fittted. Next month I will be getting the forend lightened. Then it might just be perfect. 😆

If it had been on an MX8 action I would still have bought it. But I find the mx12 triggers are absolutely fine, regardless of the fact that the mx8 ones are allegedly better.
I've have had several of both kinds of Perazzi triggers and AFAIC anyone who can discern the difference between the coil and leaf spring Perazzi triggers lives on a higher plane than I do.

I’ll turn it into a Blaser if it kills me. 😆
I would have tho you'd have higher aspirations  :poke:   I'm curious as to how much a forend can be lightened.  I use the Schnabel sort and they look like maybe some slot vents would do the trick.  Wadda ya think?  Be a cool kinda tek look too, eh?

I would have tho you'd have higher aspirations  :poke:   I'm curious as to how much a forend can be lightened.  I use the Schnabel sort and they look like maybe some slot vents would do the trick.  Wadda ya think?  Be a cool kinda tek look too, eh?
Blaser forend is about 220g. The wood is thin section and there is very little metal involved with the latch etc. Perazzi is about 360g despite being a London type, nothing too wide. Mainly it’s the big metal frame with Perazzi forend versus Blaser, but I hope to get 50g (nearly 2oz) removed, mainly from the bottom edge internally. I did consider drilling through or slots but it would look nasty. Mine is an SC3 which looks nice. 

You could drill or mill a bunch of holes in the iron.  As I mentioned once before, the Speedmaster I wear weighs 2+oz and I could just take it off and there y'are.  As it is I have to wear a fairly heavy silver bracelet on my right wrist to balance.  I use teh added weight for recoil reduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back