cost

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

ok so im a bitter and twisted old pauper       but sporting shooting practice is getting very expensive  + shells   ,   and gun change is criminal   cost wise !    ok I understand the concept of overheads etc   but   dick turpin springs to mind !!       im sure Brexit will help   :victory:

ok so im a bitter and twisted old pauper       but sporting shooting practice is getting very expensive  + shells   ,   and gun change is criminal   cost wise !    ok I understand the concept of overheads etc   but   dick turpin springs to mind !!       im sure Brexit will help   :victory:
I agree, best value way to shoot is a BO entry at a registered shoot mostly. 

What Will said...... competition is the best form of practice

true but without practice  our overall skillset suffers  ,  plus bo  is  only a few quid saving  !! 
Look at it this way

You pay say between 25 and 30 pence per clay, plus your cartridges,plus fuel for your car,plus a bite to eat and at least two cups of tea, one before you start and one after when you mull over the clays that you’ve just shot.

Thats going to cost £25 to 30 IF you only shoot 100 clays. B/O in 99%of shooting grounds charge £35 for B/O . Your fuel, cartridges and any food or drink will be approximately the same...depending on what ground you frequent.

Perhaps instead of practice book a few lessons with a shooting coach, find out what you may be doing wrong. Then go and put that advice to good use on a registered shoot.

Thats just my humble opinion of course 

Cost is always a consideration and it seems to be steadily creeping up - I do note in the 11 years I've been shooting that carts have increased in price by about 40% and the cost of clays has nearly doubled.

Many grounds have introduced Claymate systems or similar which is fair enough as there are always people that were going to be less than honest.  Now I know that the grounds that use Claymates see a significant drop in clay usage (one ground owner told me that it was in excess of 50%), and yet the target prices still increase - so there must be more of a profit margin than there was prior to the implementation of these automated systems (which have an acquisition cost of their own of course).

I've weaned myself off buying premium priced cartridges as at my meagre level of ability it makes little difference if any - in fact any that go 'bang' when you pull the trigger seem to work just fine...😀 and that is probably the single greatest area of economy one can achieve.

Depends where & when you practice and how you perceive value. The local clubs around here will have 5 stands set up and charge you about £25-£28 for a 100 clays - and you need someone with you to press buttons. Alternatively go to one of the reg shoots and for £35 B/O you have 12 stands each with a ref/scorer.

Barby Sporting near Rugby - is £26/100  for members and, I believe, £28/100 for non-members - practice, usually 9 or 10 stands.

But you can’t really practice as a b/o entry at a reg shoot can you. 

If I’m having a problem with a target I want to stay on that stand until I’ve sorted it out.

cant see that happening at a reg event, be all you competition types moaning like mad at me 

If I’m having a problem with a target I want to stay on that stand until I’ve sorted it out.

cant see that happening at a reg event, be all you competition types moaning like mad at me 
I totally agree if you need to practice a certain target. I will go to a ground to just do that occasionally for sure, but in terms of general practice / keeping your eye in etc, I reckon shooting a whole course is good, especially if you TRY and build a score so the mental side is practiced also. But each to their own.

Barby Sporting near Rugby - is £26/100  for members and, I believe, £28/100 for non-members - practice, usually 9 or 10 stands.
I did say the South.. it may not be grim but it is pricey.. 😀

If you’re having trouble with one or two particular target presentations, ask your local ground if they can replicate them, that way you can shoot to your hearts content.

or

stay till the very end and ask the ref if you could please have another few to see what you were doing wrong

What Will said...... competition is the best form of practice
Sorry to hijack but this statement has aroused my curiosity,  is ‘practice’ interchangeable with ‘learning’?

I mean as a new shooter would jumping into a comp accelerate my improvement? I wondered  if the slight pressure coupled with no expectations might help me. Or is it not a done thing because it annoys seasoned shots? Obviously I’m still  ignorant of competition etiquette!

Again apologies for jumping in.

The cost over the last decade has nearly doubled and wages have not kept pace. It's why it's getting more expensive to your pocket with less disposable income.

You knows is gotten ridiculous when the clays are costing more than the cartridge you shoot at it.

Sorry to hijack but this statement has aroused my curiosity,  is ‘practice’ interchangeable with ‘learning’?

I mean as a new shooter would jumping into a comp accelerate my improvement? I wondered  if the slight pressure coupled with no expectations might help me. Or is it not a done thing because it annoys seasoned shots? Obviously I’m still  ignorant of competition etiquette!

When you have the basics of shooting down pat. Comps can help you a lot as you will learn more presentations and see better targets than most local shoots and straw bailers. 

As for seasoned shooters don't worry about them they all started at the beginning. If they're not suited because your not the most knowledgeable tough. You pay the same as they do so get on and enjoy.

First ever shoot for me was a competition.  Any seasoned shot who got annoyed with you just because you are new would be a total w***er and in any event it’s rare.  More likely a few will want to tell you where you’re going wrong in an encouraging manner but not always helpful or right.  There are shoots and there are shoots so if you do go for it be prepared to struggle at some and leave it behind (says the worst person in the entire world for not following that advice).  I found it fine, I shot rubbish for a long time but I got lots of encouragement for what I did hit and I came last a lot, almost anbadge of honour but I am glad I got thrown in the deep end as I met lots of lovely people and so many different types of presentations on many grounds.  I sometimes look at some shooters at my local club and realise they have never been anywhere else and there’s so much out there.

My response to increasing costs was the essence of simplicity.  Since there was nothing to be gained by me shooting competition I just quit doing that.  I enjoy the shooting and if I have a bad day - BFD.  Just like before I started shooting comps.  If you actually are concerned about the costs being a problem you may want to explore other pastimes.  Shooting is certainly not my only interest even tho it is prominent.

just a thot

Me too Wonko, in fact worrying about the score for me just detracts from the pleasure of shooting which is wrapped around being out with a bunch of friends where the only competition is myself.  

In the past i never practiced i only ever shot comp so i was in the camp of comp is best form of practice.  That was over 30 yrs sgo, about 10yrs ago with more disposable income and more time as daughter was then grown up i did start to practice regularily. Did my scores improve, not really, did my enjoyment level go up, not really . Eventually i got bored with the whole trap thing and started shooting a bit of sporting just for fun, no real improvement on the enjoyment level and eventually i got bored with the whole clay thing and now only shoot game and pigeon and stuff. No real point other than if your enjoying whatever your doing such as practice then crack on but if you think its pointless then it probably is. We do stuff for fun so do whatever and enjoy 👍

But I can’t shoot 100 good sporting targets for £35 anywhere in the south except at a comp.
£32/100 at Barbury for members, and free tea/coffee to boot. And they supply a button pusher if required.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back