28 bore chokes and cartridges ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squimp

Any 28 bore aficionados out there ?

I shot one extensively a few years ago and have just rekindled my interest.

i have some new barrels that are very heavily choked and need to be opened out somewhat. Any body got any constructive suggestions on choke (ideally in actual measurements as in 10 thou for example) firstly for sporting and secondly for sensible game shooting. My original gun was a multi-choked Guerini so I simply shot the 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 tubes and got on with it. This time I’m starting with a ‘clean slate’ so want to get it as right as possible and try and understand what is going on.....

Second question; does anybody know of a source for 16-18 gram cartridges with either 8 or 9 shot ? Just Cartridges don’t appear to stock anything to that spec. I’m not aware of any other retailers/grounds with a decent and/or unusual selection of 28 bore cartridges.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

I don't know much about 28G but I'm not busy right now so spent 10 minutes surfing, your spec seems a bit exotic, you might have to change shot size or load (or both.)

Choke constrictions are shown below in thousandths of an inch with patterns given as a percentage at given distances

Capture.JPG

Thanks for that. The issue appears to be that others suggest different constrictions for the relative choke -  so the only way to find out is actually test cartridge/choke combinations. 

I think Teague multi-choking will probably be the final answer. Then I can experiment all I like !

Latest posts

Back