Eley Superbs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordieboy

Shot these for the first time at the weekend.  Very smooth, VERY hard hitting.  

Anybody shot the latest offerings from Eley?  Anybody shot the Superb Golds or VIP Traps or the Titanium Shells?

I've been shooting Fiocchi for a looooong time and they are great.  I like those superbs though. A lot!

Shot these for the first time at the weekend.  Very smooth, VERY hard hitting.  

Anybody shot the latest offerings from Eley?  Anybody shot the Superb Golds or VIP Traps or the Titanium Shells?

I've been shooting Fiocchi for a looooong time and they are great.  I like those superbs though. A lot!
I shot the Eley pool shoot at AGL last year and agree I loved them. Well, I did until I found out what they cost..

I was an Eley sponsored shooter and used to shoot Superbs but changed to Fiocchi FBlack in 2013 because the quality control went out the window at Eley.  Missing primers, hard primers and low primers; misshapen cartridges wouldn't fit in chambers; 21 cartridges in one box; a box of 25 Olympic Blue in a sealed carton of Superbs; poorly sealed boxes meaning cartridges spilling on the ground as non adhesive tape used. Then of course there's the performance one batch really soft then next as thumpy as hell. Eley Management weren't interested, I used to see Tomas Atienza regularly at shoots and he knew of my concerns.

A shooting ground owner who is also an England and GB team mate recently asked me if I'd tried the Superbs lately, I explained the above to him and he gave me some to try back to back against the FBlacks and Official Trap and I was mightily surprised to find the Superbs are back to being as good as they originally were, soft to shoot and good kills.

I've got rid of my Fiocchi stock and am shooting the Superbs again, and I note they've also introduced a 24gm Superb something that was lacking before. Hopefully  I'll be using them for some time to come.

I was an Eley sponsored shooter and used to shoot Superbs but changed to Fiocchi FBlack in 2013 because the quality control went out the window at Eley.  Missing primers, hard primers and low primers; misshapen cartridges wouldn't fit in chambers; 21 cartridges in one box; a box of 25 Olympic Blue in a sealed carton of Superbs; poorly sealed boxes meaning cartridges spilling on the ground as non adhesive tape used. Then of course there's the performance one batch really soft then next as thumpy as hell. Eley Management weren't interested, I used to see Tomas Atienza regularly at shoots and he knew of my concerns.

A shooting ground owner who is also an England and GB team mate recently asked me if I'd tried the Superbs lately, I explained the above to him and he gave me some to try back to back against the FBlacks and Official Trap and I was mightily surprised to find the Superbs are back to being as good as they originally were, soft to shoot and good kills.

I've got rid of my Fiocchi stock and am shooting the Superbs again, and I note they've also introduced a 24gm Superb something that was lacking before. Hopefully  I'll be using them for some time to come.
Thanks for the above. I lost my choke box recently and had to use Light Full + Full in my perazzi.  My breaks have been awful for a couple of weeks now.  I love the Fiocchi range.  Smooth consistent/hard hitting.  

However I needed a 'fix'.  I shot some Clever, Power Golds, Huls, & Superbs to see what was a good fit.  The Superb was the smoothest (in my gun) and I drew more smoke off the clays with these than all of the others.

I'll be getting my halfs and 3/4 chokes back soon and will try them again.  

Measuring the shot I found the 8's were a true 8.5 shot and the 7.5s a 7.75 shot.  Without at doubt, the 7.5s were the hardest hitting.  Very confidence inspiring.  

Nothing wrong with my Fiocchi shells.  Great patterns and very consistent.  Love them.  But I tried a lot of shells recently and the Superb stood out.

Thanks for your input!

I’ve shot them for 15+ years and bar a couple of minor hiccups they’re as good as you’ll get for the money and easily the equal of shells costing an extra £50 quid, one of the reasons I rate them is their “relatively” low recoil, very much hoping that Eley will make the new 24g available in 8’s and 9’s. 

The worst thing about them is the daft military grade glue used on the slabs packaging, that and the fact they cello tape the individual boxes flaps !! In a perfect world different shot sizes would have distinct colour shells.

Another Superb lover here both 9 & 7.5 are used on sporting, the 9 shot on as many targets as possible. Like Hamster, I have used them for years until Eley almost went out of their way to upset dealers and ground owners in my area so for a couple of years I switched to Cheddite Trap Oro but now that Eley have played ball with my local dealer following a conversation I had with Eley at a shooting show, I am very happy to be back on the Superbs. I really love them for trap as well.

Phil

Point to note, the 8s in the superb I measured were an 8.5 shot. 

The 7.5s were closer to an 8. That's after roughly measuring about 50 in each shell. They both break well, but in my perazzi the 7.5s do the business.

Whats up Will Hewland? 

Do you actually believe the shot size the manufacturers put on their boxes?????  😂

Like I've said before, I'm an engineer...I can't resist taking things apart!  Kills my shooting.........I just can't bloody help it!

Whats up Will Hewland? 

Do you actually believe the shot size the manufacturers put on their boxes?????  😂

Like I've said before, I'm an engineer...I can't resist taking things apart!  Kills my shooting.........I just can't bloody help it!
I was living in a lovely world of belief and ignorance! Also an engineer, so didn’t want to open Pandora’s cartridge box.. 🙈😆

Strange....I opened up a superb(fibre)7.5, and measured a load, 2.3mm   and apart from one tiny tiny one and a odd oval one the rest were very evenly sized, glad to hear every one else is finding them soo smooth to ,presume in plastic.

Anybody tried the VIP Traps in 7's?

Or the Titanium Shells?

I like a box of tight Trap shells for long edgy stuff.  I usually buy 1000 of that type of shell in my load of 15000.  I always use them!

So then. Shot 2 great shoots today. Longridge then Garlands. 1st shoot with Superb 7.5s 2nd shoot with Superb 8s.

My perazzi was fitted with 2x 5/8th chokes. These Superbs are just about the best shell I've had through it. Smooth and hard hitting. I drew smoke on loads of the targets which was most confidence inspiring.

I broke targets way out and shredded with the 8s. The 7.5s the same.

For 2.09mm diameter balls (8's), they don't half shred.

So then. Shot 2 great shoots today. Longridge then Garlands. 1st shoot with Superb 7.5s 2nd shoot with Superb 8s.

My perazzi was fitted with 2x 5/8th chokes. These Superbs are just about the best shell I've had through it. Smooth and hard hitting. I drew smoke on loads of the targets which was most confidence inspiring.

I broke targets way out and shredded with the 8s. The 7.5s the same.

For 2.09mm diameter balls (8's), they don't half shred.
I've often said those 8's will break clays way past the range I could hit them in the first place. 

Jury's still out on the 8's (only because they are 8.5 shot), but there is no doubt how hard they hit yesterday out to 50yds.  Clays shredded.  I'll shoot another few 100 birders and then make my final decision on how I wish to go forwards.  certainly the 7.5s gave a string of breaks on quartering birds that left me in no doubt as to their crunchability.  

I'll update as I find out.  I believe that Scott Barnett uses the 8's.......to rather good effect too.

Strange....I opened up a superb(fibre)7.5, and measured a load, 2.3mm   and apart from one tiny tiny one and a odd oval one the rest were very evenly sized, glad to hear every one else is finding them soo smooth to ,presume in plastic.
Last night I rather sneakily opened another box of 8's and cut a shell open....just in case I was wrong the first time........

nope.....I wasn't.  Perfectly hard round 2.09mm diam shot in the 8's.

sounds like the plastics are giving similar results as I find the fibre s ,probably tighter pattern, I do go to the odd place where plastics allowed so I better get some to try.😊 just a darn shame they arent £20 a K cheaper eh !

Back