Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
squimp

Actual shot sizes ??

Recommended Posts

squimp

Is there a list anywhere of which cartridge suppliers use which ACTUAL shot sizes?

is it as simple as U.K. vs European ? If so is there a definitive published list  between sizes 5 and 9.

Reason for the question is that I’m immersing myself in the 28 bore world and the reduced payload means that every pellet counts......

Any info gratefully received.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hamster

Definite difference between English and most continental as well as American sizes and sadly UK brands don’t necessarily stick to English versions. In essence most clay loads (that matter) are half a size bigger abroad e.g, English 8’s are 2.2 mm here but labelled 8.5 elsewhere, I believe Cyprus are a notable exception but could be wrong.

To be sure of what you’re shooting you need to open one and measure several pellets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geordieboy

I've measured loads.

I'm an engineer........and it kills my shooting!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJJ
4 hours ago, Geordieboy said:

I've measured loads.

I'm an engineer........and it kills my shooting!

You should really put the lead back in!!!! 🤣

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doctor Lecter
5 hours ago, Geordieboy said:

I've measured loads.

I'm an engineer........and it kills my shooting!

I agree  we tested a variety with some  big variations   ,   deformed shapes all sorts  !!   I think some manufactures   shove  in what's close to hand  !!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonko the Sane
5 minutes ago, Doctor Lecter said:

I agree  we tested a variety with some  big variations   ,   deformed shapes all sorts  !!   I think some manufactures   shove  in what's close to hand  !!  

MY GOD, Doctor ! ! !   That cannot be true !  I mean, that would be against the Law - Truth In Advertising, even tho that does sound like a contradiction in terms  :eek:

Just think of the possible lawsuits initiated by duped customers  :yell:

I just don't understand how you can make such egregious accusations 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Westward

A certain UK manufacturer has some of their range loaded with "Diamond" shot and some loaded with scungy old lead shot. Interestingly, their 7½s with the fancy shot use 2.4mm pellets and their 7½s loaded with cheaper shot use 2.3mm pellets.

Confused anyone?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jason king

there is also a chart in the eley shooters diary,they are available at most gunshops.(no I dont work for eley)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ips
24 minutes ago, Westward said:

A certain UK manufacturer has some of their range loaded with "Diamond" shot and some loaded with scungy old lead shot. Interestingly, their 7½s with the fancy shot use 2.4mm pellets and their 7½s loaded with cheaper shot use 2.3mm pellets.

Confused anyone?

Yes confused. Surely a shot size is a precise measurement and i have never read anywhere that there is any degree of tolerance ? Maybe there is 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westley

I believe that the older I get my 'degree of tolerance' lessens  !      😄 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
squimp

Thanks chaps -  really helpful, particularly Wonko's chart.

I knew it was a minefield -  but this is ridiculous !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
perazman

Cheddite Universal Trap fibre 28gm 7.5's marked as 2.4mm (330 pellets)

Cheddite Rapeed fibre 27gm 7.5 also marked as 2.4mm (395 pellets)

Get your head around that one!

PM.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salopian

Yes of course it is all very interesting , take perazman's comment above .

Eley list No.7 shot as 2.4mm dia  and No. 7.5 shot as 2.3mm .

So depending on if you are using English or Continental/ American Shot size designation it all depends on the true shot diameter and the true number of pellets per ounce / 28gram .

So weigh out an ounce of your favoured load and then count the pellet total . Simples Meerkats.

A friend commented only today how impressed he was with Cheddite Smart Strike  7.5s for DTL , but when he dissected one he found the shot size was  2.4mm English 7's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chippy
26 minutes ago, perazman said:

Cheddite Universal Trap fibre 28gm 7.5's marked as 2.4mm (330 pellets)

Cheddite Rapeed fibre 27gm 7.5 also marked as 2.4mm (395 pellets)

Get your head around that one!

PM.

The rapeed must be 37g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Westward

Sorry about this but I'm just too long in tooth to go measuring and counting pellets so I stick to the K.I.S.S. method.

If the shells are French or Italian I'll buy 8s and if they're UK made (except for those Diamond thingies) I'll buy 7½s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
perazman
1 hour ago, chippy said:

The rapeed must be 37g

They must be 2.3mm or smaller but why go to the trouble of stating the shot size in mm if it's wrong!

Incidentally,having cut open cartridges from all price ranges,none of them are immune to having misshapen or damaged shot in them. The perfect one's are obviously sent to shooting magazine writers!

PM.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doctor Lecter

don't get me started on antimony   ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geordieboy
11 hours ago, ips said:

Yes confused. Surely a shot size is a precise measurement and i have never read anywhere that there is any degree of tolerance ? Maybe there is 🤔

A certain UK manufacturer when opening up their 7.5 premium shell  had shot in between 6 and 8.5. All on the same shell!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwpzx9r
14 hours ago, Salopian said:

Yes of course it is all very interesting , take perazman's comment above .

Eley list No.7 shot as 2.4mm dia  and No. 7.5 shot as 2.3mm .

So depending on if you are using English or Continental/ American Shot size designation it all depends on the true shot diameter and the true number of pellets per ounce / 28gram .

So weigh out an ounce of your favoured load and then count the pellet total . Simples Meerkats.

A friend commented only today how impressed he was with Cheddite Smart Strike  7.5s for DTL , but when he dissected one he found the shot size was  2.4mm English 7's.

That would be standard for an Italian made cartridge though would it not? Buyer beware I say or stick with British made cartridges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonko the Sane
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Doctor Lecter said:

don't get me started on antimony   ?

so just what does your apparent dissatisfaction with divorce have to do with shot sizes?

 

And of course embedded in this morass is the unresolved to my knowledge matter of "illegal" factory carts disqualifying shooters  in international competitions.  A matter easily attended to by a simple process similar to the Formula 1 practice of tire manufacturers bidding for exclusive rights to supply for some given time.  TabA/SlotB 

Edited by Wonko the Sane
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MartynB
21 hours ago, ips said:

Yes confused. Surely a shot size is a precise measurement and i have never read anywhere that there is any degree of tolerance ? Maybe there is 🤔

I used to do a lot of general chemical powder processing and blending . We had a  vibrating classifying sieve in the lab into which you could slot multiple screens in any suitable increment to split a sample into its particle sizes . It would be interesting to take a random sample of say 10 cartridges of brand A , Shell B , and then see what the average  distribution  of pellet size through something like precise  50 micron increment screens was , +\- nominal . If I was buying shot in from an external supplier I’d sure as hell be doing that on  just to see what I was buying .

 I can’t imagine anything made as a  cheap chuck away , one time, commodity like lead shot can be manufactured to size +\-  zero . 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doctor Lecter
44 minutes ago, MartynB said:

I used to do a lot of general chemical powder processing and blending . We had a  vibrating classifying sieve in the lab into which you could slot multiple screens in any suitable increment to split a sample into its particle sizes . It would be interesting to take a random sample of say 10 cartridges of brand A , Shell B , and then see what the average  distribution  of pellet size through something like precise  50 micron increment screens was , +\- nominal . If I was buying shot in from an external supplier I’d sure as hell be doing that on  just to see what I was buying .

 I can’t imagine anything made as a  cheap chuck away , one time, commodity like lead shot can be manufactured to size +\-  zero . 

chuck away yes        CHEAP  ?   :negative:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MartynB
1 hour ago, Doctor Lecter said:

chuck away yes        CHEAP  ?   :negative:

Yes , cheap 😂 lead is about £1600 a tonne , that’s £ 1.60 a kg or near enough 5 pence per cartridge in raw materials . Given that a finished cartridge  can retail at around  18 to 20 pence, I don’t see  the  opportunity in a whole lot of of extra on costs converting it to ultra precise shot . Near enough is probably good enough . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwpzx9r
2 hours ago, MartynB said:

I used to do a lot of general chemical powder processing and blending . We had a  vibrating classifying sieve in the lab into which you could slot multiple screens in any suitable increment to split a sample into its particle sizes . It would be interesting to take a random sample of say 10 cartridges of brand A , Shell B , and then see what the average  distribution  of pellet size through something like precise  50 micron increment screens was , +\- nominal . If I was buying shot in from an external supplier I’d sure as hell be doing that on  just to see what I was buying .

 I can’t imagine anything made as a  cheap chuck away , one time, commodity like lead shot can be manufactured to size +\-  zero . 

I would say that is exactly how the shot manufacturers go about sorting their shot sizes nothing more nothing less. As to tolerance I think the shot manufacturers have their process down to some sort of precision it is not all guess work, from their lead melt they will get a shot size variation covering most of the popular sizes for cartridge manufacturers.  After sorting anything that does not come up to snuff will be bashed into game cartridges where the actual shot size is under no scrutiny whatsoever 😄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×