Actual shot sizes ??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squimp

Is there a list anywhere of which cartridge suppliers use which ACTUAL shot sizes?

is it as simple as U.K. vs European ? If so is there a definitive published list  between sizes 5 and 9.

Reason for the question is that I’m immersing myself in the 28 bore world and the reduced payload means that every pellet counts......

Any info gratefully received.

Definite difference between English and most continental as well as American sizes and sadly UK brands don’t necessarily stick to English versions. In essence most clay loads (that matter) are half a size bigger abroad e.g, English 8’s are 2.2 mm here but labelled 8.5 elsewhere, I believe Cyprus are a notable exception but could be wrong.

To be sure of what you’re shooting you need to open one and measure several pellets.

I agree  we tested a variety with some  big variations   ,   deformed shapes all sorts  !!   I think some manufactures   shove  in what's close to hand  !!  
MY GOD, Doctor ! ! !   That cannot be true !  I mean, that would be against the Law - Truth In Advertising, even tho that does sound like a contradiction in terms   :eek:

Just think of the possible lawsuits initiated by duped customers   :yell:

I just don't understand how you can make such egregious accusations 

A certain UK manufacturer has some of their range loaded with "Diamond" shot and some loaded with scungy old lead shot. Interestingly, their 7½s with the fancy shot use 2.4mm pellets and their 7½s loaded with cheaper shot use 2.3mm pellets.

Confused anyone?

there is also a chart in the eley shooters diary,they are available at most gunshops.(no I dont work for eley)

A certain UK manufacturer has some of their range loaded with "Diamond" shot and some loaded with scungy old lead shot. Interestingly, their 7½s with the fancy shot use 2.4mm pellets and their 7½s loaded with cheaper shot use 2.3mm pellets.

Confused anyone?
Yes confused. Surely a shot size is a precise measurement and i have never read anywhere that there is any degree of tolerance ? Maybe there is 🤔

Thanks chaps -  really helpful, particularly Wonko's chart.

I knew it was a minefield -  but this is ridiculous !

Cheddite Universal Trap fibre 28gm 7.5's marked as 2.4mm (330 pellets)

Cheddite Rapeed fibre 27gm 7.5 also marked as 2.4mm (395 pellets)

Get your head around that one!

PM.

Yes of course it is all very interesting , take perazman's comment above .

Eley list No.7 shot as 2.4mm dia  and No. 7.5 shot as 2.3mm .

So depending on if you are using English or Continental/ American Shot size designation it all depends on the true shot diameter and the true number of pellets per ounce / 28gram .

So weigh out an ounce of your favoured load and then count the pellet total . Simples Meerkats.

A friend commented only today how impressed he was with Cheddite Smart Strike  7.5s for DTL , but when he dissected one he found the shot size was  2.4mm English 7's.

Sorry about this but I'm just too long in tooth to go measuring and counting pellets so I stick to the K.I.S.S. method.

If the shells are French or Italian I'll buy 8s and if they're UK made (except for those Diamond thingies) I'll buy 7½s.

The rapeed must be 37g
They must be 2.3mm or smaller but why go to the trouble of stating the shot size in mm if it's wrong!

Incidentally,having cut open cartridges from all price ranges,none of them are immune to having misshapen or damaged shot in them. The perfect one's are obviously sent to shooting magazine writers!

PM.

Yes confused. Surely a shot size is a precise measurement and i have never read anywhere that there is any degree of tolerance ? Maybe there is 🤔
A certain UK manufacturer when opening up their 7.5 premium shell  had shot in between 6 and 8.5. All on the same shell!

Back