Looking for opinions on two Brownings.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Waring

Hi.

I am looking for opinions on the Browning B725 pro sport and the Browning 525 ultra XS Pro. I shoot sporting and skeet. I know best fit is king and I will try both. All comments welcome.

Both very good guns, and both a bit different.

Pro sport is very modern, mechanical trigger, fair bit heavier 9lb? big palm swell, ds chokes etc. XS pro is a well proven action, inertia trigger, invector plus chokes and still a good weight 8lb?

Both very capable and both good buys.

Personally I find the Pro Sport unusually barrel-heavy, so not to everybody’s taste and a bit unconventional. As a beginner (and later too) I went for heavy barrelled guns and always ended up going off them. But it’s personal choice of course.

Both Great guns.  Beware the unreliability of the 725.  The inertia trigger needs quite a bit of maintenance.  2 of my AAA friends have 2 Pro-traps each.  The regular gun and a back up.  They send their guns back on average once a year with trigger problems.  Oh and the bluing is sh1te too.  Both guns Bluing has worn off on the action of their guns and they are now just over 3 years old!  

They use them, because they pattern well and shoot well.

Hi.

I am looking for opinions on the Browning B725 pro sport and the Browning 525 ultra XS Pro. I shoot sporting and skeet. I know best fit is king and I will try both. All comments welcome.
ive had the 725 pro sport    never liked it ,   felt like a hedge stake to shoot  ,   but its personal preference   at the end of the day  !!

2 of my AAA friends have 2 Pro-traps each. 
I know who you're talking about and one of them told me exactly that. The alleged "mechanical" trigger still has an inertia system so heaven knows what they were playing at with that idea.

I've tried a ProSport and an Ultra XS Titanium, which for all practical purposes is identical to the XS Pro, and although I wouldn't pick either of them from choice, if I were forced to buy a £3K+ Browning I'd pick the XS every time.

Had a Pro sport. Had issues with misfires and also seemed to rust very easily (had a 525 sporter before and that was rust free). Also have to be careful of the matt bluing as it seems to scratch\wears easily. Decided to get rid and go back to MK38.

Well, I love my B725!  I shot both the 725 and the 525 within about 30 minutes of each other when I was looking to buy.  I found the 725 to be better balanced which enabled me to shoot better overall.  It just 'felt' better and I seemed to mount and move it better.  Had it 4 years now and had no issues with it.

As the others have said, it's all down to personal preference.  :)  

I was dead set on a 725 prosport. Tried one, and everything was good.........until I pulled the trigger. I just didn’t like the trigger, it just felt wrong, and I couldn’t get past that.  What about a grade 5 mk38 sporter? Same sort of money.

The 725's shoot straight.  I can pick my friends gun up and shoot it very well and his is 9lbs 6ozs.  Great gun to shoot no doubt (for me and definitely for him), but beware the mechanical issues. 😉

On another note, I hear that Miroku are going to make another trap gun?????  If they make a Pro-Trap, you can bet your bottom dollar there'll be a host of 725s part exchanged as people get their hands on Japanese steel!  Remember, a handful of samurai defeated Kublai Khan, so there's no doubting they know a thing or two about Metallurgy!!!!

Er the 725 is a Miroku......?
Nope its a browning.

Miroku have been making 'Mirokus' on the Browning action under licence for years.  

I am saying that Miroku are going to make a new trap gun shortly.  If they do it on the 725 action then you can bet your bottom dollar, they'll make it right.

I have worked for Japanese Car Companies spanning 15 years, and I will tell you now, their engineering is by far and away much more detailed and robust than other more well known makers out there!

A Miroku 725 is something that should be anticipated........if thats what they are doing.

Its a browning made by Miroku I bet using the exact same steel and parts. Im not knocking Miroku but they are basically the same.

Miroku........make the 725's.......is what you are saying?
Browning is a brand not a manufacturer.

Way back in the 60s Miroku (who incidentally have been making shotguns since before Browning existed) built a gun with a design closely based on the Browning Superposed. They were imported into America by Charles Daly and soon started to sell in decent numbers. That attracted the attention of Browning who, in the early 70s, negotiated with Miroku to take over from Daly and have Miroku build what became known as the Browning Citori. Miroku also agreed not to sell directly into the US or through Daly. The superposed continued to be built in Belgium and gradually morphed into the B15, B125 etc. Apart from the relatively small numbers of pricey Brownings from Belgium, every Browning O/U since about 1973 has been built in Japan by Miroku.

Mirokus are popular in Oz and NZ where they have in fact released a Miroku version of the 725. Obviously if that gun ever arrived in the UK, sales of the B725 would absolutely tank.

Latest posts

Back