Dt10 height of Combe relating to seen rib

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill.rosa

Hi all when adjusting my dt10 comb it has been suggested to me that I should start by having my face firmly on the stock and should see the rib plainly before starting to adjust for my liking this. Seems okay to me but would appreciate confirmation that this isthe way to go. I look forward to your advice.

Bill

Hi all when adjusting my dt10 comb it has been suggested to me that I should start by having my face firmly on the stock and should see the rib plainly before starting to adjust for my liking this. Seems okay to me but would appreciate confirmation that this isthe way to go. I look forward to your advice.

Bill
Not 100% sure what you are asking Bill? Personally I would set it so that when your face is pressed in as hard as possible, the rib is still just visible, so very flat. It’s dangerous to set it flat with a normal face pressure because at some point in the heat of battle you may ram your face down hard and lose the muzzle completely. Obviously some people may want the comb a bit higher than that, but it becomes personal preference. Once the height is right, mount into a mirror, including a few goes with your eyes shut during mounting. Use sideways adjustment of the comb to place your eye centrally over the rib. Basically some height is optional, but obviously side errors are not. 

trap, skeet or sporting as the position will be differeng.

I agree with Will regarding the use of the mirror to check your mount but don't just do this a couple of times as repeatability is vital.

Phil

Bill
Forgive me Bill but i dont fully understand what you have been told. The only way to set comb height imo is to shoot a target (or various types of target if we are talking sporting) and adjust according to quality of kills, the reason for this is that dry mounting is never ever the same as when shooting for real. A straight DTL target from peg 3 is imo the best method but preferably with someone watching quality of breaks as in taking top off or bottom off, or even the side if adjusting for cast.

Forgive me Bill but i dont fully understand what you have been told. The only way to set comb height imo is to shoot a target (or various types of target if we are talking sporting) and adjust according to quality of kills, the reason for this is that dry mounting is never ever the same as when shooting for real. A straight DTL target from peg 3 is imo the best method but preferably with someone watching quality of breaks as in taking top off or bottom off, or even the side if adjusting for cast.
I disagree for Sporting at least,  because the shooters head and eye must be in the right place, then they must learn to hit the target. There is of course something very odd going on if the comb ends up NOT as I suggest, such as eye dominance issues, so adjusting the comb to hit a straight target could well be adding one error to cancel another and can lead to problems on crossers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the years I've dozens of threads on various forums on this very subject. The only thing that seems consistent is that there's no consistency of opinion. Some like to rifle the gun, as in seeing no rib and the beads lined up one behind the other. Others like their line of sight well above the rib and to see a gap between the beads whilst yet others are in between.

You gotta figure out what works for you and in my very humble opinion, Will's advice is a good starting point - but then I can't shoot a flat gun mounted like a rifle.

Personally, I see a gap between the mid and front bead on my gun.  I shoot gun up and never have an issue with the barrels blotting out the target on right to left crossers, unlike a friend who has no choice but to start with his head off the stock on those sorts of targets.  I suppose it's what you are used to, once you have got accustomed to a particular sight picture - lots of rib or none at all - it'll work for you.

Yes some of it is personal preference, but let me clarify one point: Do NOT set up to a very flat sight picture with a “normal” cheek pressure, as this means you will lose the muzzle when you press down hard. I agree a very flat rib isn’t ideal for most. Some like it, including Richard Faulds, but the world turns to nonsense if your eye drops below the rib. I watched two girls literally miss 99 out of 100 between them on a have a go day, with a professional instructor, who hadn’t spotted that they were so low they couldn’t see the rib.

Fascinating responses as always    the process is actually simplicity itself.

As Mr. Hewland suggests first come to terms with a solid and repeatable gun mount.

decide where you want to gun to shoot relative to the target

Shoot at a pattern plate just as you would shoot a target and move the comb up/down/side to side as may be required to put the pattern where you want it relative to the spot you're shooting at

ignore what the rib view is unless as Will says it blocks the view

regardless of the game you shoot primarily what Ian says about Sta3 at DTL to fine tune the adjust is for me a SOP that is never avoided

having someone tell you "where you're shooting" is a total waste of time and NEVER adjust anything on your gun according to what some observer suggests - - - only you can do the above process and only you can evaluate what you need.  I've seen way too many people with multi-adjusto guns twirling everything imaginable trying to "fit" the gun and never shoot the plate.  I mean, can you say "stoopid?"

besta luck

http://www.shootclayforum.com/topic/22415-pattern-plate-for-dtl/

and in particular

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/reading-breaks-if-it-doesnt-work-does-it-matter.224737/

I disagree for Sporting at least,  because the shooters head and eye must be in the right place, then they must learn to hit the target. There is of course something very odd going on if the comb ends up NOT as I suggest, such as eye dominance issues, so adjusting the comb to hit a straight target could well be adding one error to cancel another and can lead to problems on crossers. 
Will, for the record i did make a note re sporting targets 😏

Do NOT set up to a very flat sight picture with a “normal” cheek pressure, as this means you will lose the muzzle when you press down hard.
Surely Will, that if your consistent with your mount, the amount of pressure applied is rather personnel. You are also inferring that you put your head down to the stock and not the stock to your head. Also shooting gun up or down has a bearing on this as well. Everyone  mounts differently there are only parameters to go by, then find your own style that works for you. Move, mount, shoot or mount, move, shoot, or a bit of both?????? Different disciplines, different styles of mount used etc. If the gun shoots where your looking you are not far out.

Surely Will, that if your consistent with your mount, the amount of pressure applied is rather personnel. You are also inferring that you put your head down to the stock and not the stock to your head. Also shooting gun up or down has a bearing on this as well. Everyone  mounts differently there are only parameters to go by, then find your own style that works for you. Move, mount, shoot or mount, move, shoot, or a bit of both?????? Different disciplines, different styles of mount used etc. If the gun shoots where your looking you are not far out.
Ok, semantics regarding whether the wood meets the face or the face meets the wood. But we are deluding ourselves if we think we contact the comb in the exact same manner every shot. Watch almost any shooter round a whole course and they will at some point (perhaps due to seeing the target late) make a much firmer connection to the stock than usual, which could lose the rib view if normal picture was already flat. Many times you see people missing a close target like a slow rabbit and the advice is to press the face in firmly, which really makes the gun into an accurate rifle effectively, but may well be quite a different picture to the usual one.

I agree with Will, there will be occasions for various reasons when the contact with comb varies however consistent ones gun mount is. I have often wondered if we put too much thought into comb height and if it actually matters that much, within certain parameters of course

I agree with Will, there will be occasions for various reasons when the contact with comb varies however consistent ones gun mount is. I have often wondered if we put too much thought into comb height and if it actually matters that much, within certain parameters of course
Yes Ian. You can often solve a problem where a shooter is high on everything, by raising the comb! This is because they were almost lifting their face before, to see the rib clearly. With a higher comb you can keep good cheek pressure and know you will still see the rib.

As ever, I am staggered by the amount of knowledge and advice freely available on this site. We should all be Digweeds or Winsers after reading it.

I have often wondered if we put too much thought into comb height and if it actually matters that much
Well Ips, if you cut it out (the comb) you would really find out for sure!!!!

As ever, I am staggered by the amount of knowledge and advice freely available on this site. We should all be Digweeds or Winsers after reading it.
It is free after all and people can take it or leave it. BUT if one pays for advice, they tend to believe what there told!!! 😀

Wylye is a very experienced chap. But why would want he volunteer any of that knowledge here, on a knowledge sharing platform that he follows. Much more fun to just have a dig. 

I think I often fall into the 'Wincer' category, due to some of the threads that I read  !    ☺️

Latest posts

Back