Custom gun fit?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Griff

Anybody got a view on how ‘good’ you need to be to benefit from a custom fit session? Does it work on scores, experience, quality of technique? Can a novice shooter benefit?

cheers

john.

Anybody got a view on how ‘good’ you need to be to benefit from a custom fit session? Does it work on scores, experience, quality of technique? Can a novice shooter benefit?

cheers

john.
Not a black and white answer. Make sure your gun fits you approximately. Don’t spend too much money, buy one that’s about right. Maybe change the stock length with a different pad and if you have an adjustable comb you can obviously get that right. 

Where it isn’t clear is regarding YOU. If you are a beginner that doesn’t hold or stand that well yet, then no gun will fit you. Even worse, you may get a gun made or adjusted to fit a bad hold, which will harm your progress. So really you need advice from somebody who knows and can see you shoot. But I would not go spending real money on fit at this point.

once you have the basics sorted     consistent gun mount   ,   comb height ,  cast , and length  of pull   ,   is  that not enough  ?   

Just to add a little illustrative point . I’ve had 4 guns fitted in my life . Every time , the gunfitters  ( 3 different ones ) spent the first part of the session ensuring that I could mount the gun consistently , and put the point of impact in the same place .

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sure it would be, but how do I know about comb height, cast and LOP unless an expert fitter tells me?? 🤷‍♂️
Don’t over think it. Beginners desperately want to take big steps forward via equipment, rather than just practice.

if you have the correct sight picture, you are comfortable, are not suffering anything odd like major muzzle flip or recoil and can move well, then you’re on a perfectly good footing for now. By all means get somebody experienced to watch you and comment though. 

The first time I went for a 'gun fitting' I shot at the pattern plate and missed!

Will gives sound advice and i concur with all he says

cheers

john.
Not too sure what you expect as “custom”? This lowly C class has, over many years, had three guns fitted after purchase (shot 1 yr, 6 months & 2 months with each before fitting) and in my experience each and every fitting bore benefit, one, an MK38 had no cast at all, the last a Perazzi just a minor adjustment, the fitter had recorded all dims and all three adj to the same as this old geezer aint changed body shape in last 20yrs.

Me, I would, having made a serious £ and time investment in shooting go and get it fitted, then just go and enjoy.

I think it is fair to say that once we get an idea in our heads, it can take some shifting. If you have a nagging doubt about your gun fit, hold on to your money until you have spent a few sessions with a GOOD coach and let him establish if the issue (assuming there is one) is with you or the gun.

a friend of mine has been in a similar situation some years ago, the stock was shortened and then an adjustable comb fitted so in all about £370 with no improvement whatsoever. Three lessons with a coach sorted the problem with a spacers put back under the butt pad and the comb not far from the original height, he started shooting well. 

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a gun fitted to you.  It will benefit you from early on.  As you get to learn where the gun shoots relative to your eye, a good gun fit helps eliminate idiosyncrasies in mounting.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend it, even though that does not singularly put clays on the card.  Good technique does that.

Latest posts

Back