Varifocal or fixed?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocky

I wear varifocals day to day but I’m not sure whether I should go for varifocal shooting glasses or fixed focus ones, what’s the norm? That is if there is actually a ‘norm’ for anything to do with clay shooting!  :D  

Oh and has anyone any experience of All Eyes in Over?

I wear my normal varifocals and don't find it an issue.

I have worn varifocals with very good quality lenses for years but recently I have found my eyes get tired at times so I got some Specsaver bi-focals to try with the full width long vision and the D shaped reading section.  My eyes immediately felt better and I found shooting long crossers better.

I have now ordered some better quality bi-focal lenses as the Specsaver reading section  was not too good. I will hopefully collect them next week and then I can assess which are better.  Based on the last 6 weeks since I have used the bi-focals for shooting I am expecting them to be better.

I think your choice will be a personal one as people prefer differing options but I have read several articles that all recommend bi-focals over vari-focals.

Time will tell ! 

I use some Puma frames from Specsavers. (Bifocal). They are all anti shatter glass and I wonder if there is too much panic over safety glasses for shooting. I feel safe.. I have mid brown and yellow pairs. Very good. 

Varifocals are not recommended for shooting, I assume because there is only a tiny central sweet spot and vision goes crazy if you look to the side. (I can’t even wear them in normal life..)

yes non safety i guess, one normal and one pair polarised
Damn it I wish I’d thought of that I’ve just had new glasses, both clear! Ok well if I can get away with it regulations-wise it’s probably best to just wear my normal specs until I’ve done enough shooting to know what I want then. Don’t really want to buy loads of gear until I see what’s what. Thank you. 

I use some Puma frames from Specsavers. (Bifocal). They are all anti shatter glass and I wonder if there is too much panic over safety glasses for shooting. I feel safe.. I have mid brown and yellow pairs. Very good. 

Varifocals are not recommended for shooting, I assume because there is only a tiny central sweet spot and vision goes crazy if you look to the side. (I can’t even wear them in normal life..)
I think that must depend on the gap between the strength of your long and short sightedness, if the gap is still relatively small as in my prescription then you have a larger area to grade the varifocals over and i find shooting fine in them, but if you have to cram a wide range across the lens the relative sweet spots will be smaller, if that makes sense?

I think that must depend on the gap between the strength of your long and short sightedness, if the gap is still relatively small as in my prescription then you have a larger area to grade the varifocals over and i find shooting fine in them, but if you have to cram a wide range across the lens the relative sweet spots will be smaller, if that makes sense?
Such analysis is beyond my grasp, you may well be right, but Ed Lyons says single vision is what you need. I tried varifocals for a week and it was like drinking six pints and strapping kaleidoscopes to my eyes. The idea of shooting in them would have been ridiculous for me. 

I tried varifocals for a week and it was like drinking six pints and strapping kaleidoscopes to my eyes. The idea of shooting in them would have been ridiculous for me. 
Wow, I'd love to know where you first experienced "drinking six pints and strapping kaleidoscopes to my eyes" ?

Single vision seems to be the most common on this side of the pond.  I sort of learned to "peer underneath" my shooting glasses to mark the scorecard. 

Back