My Gun is Better Than Yours - Please Explain Why

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairImogen

I shoot a Beretta 692.  I am sure my competence will never match, let alone beat, that of the 692.  Yet my pals continually tell me that their Ceaser Guerinni and or other Italian/German Gun is better, but can’t quantify why.

This reminds me of my ‘biker pals saying my VTR is ‘old hat’ and should be replaced.  I have owned it since 2002, and whilst they have had dozens of motorcycles since then, they are unable to quantify the ‘advantages’ of their new machines.

I do, of course, appreciate the subjective view, but can anyone articulate, objectively, why your CG ... etc is better that my - for example - 692?

Thank you

L&M

Fair Imogen

(12g, 30” Sporter)

I shoot a Beretta 692.  I am sure my competence will never match, let alone beat, that of the 692.  Yet my pals continually tell me that their Ceaser Guerinni and or other Italian/German Gun is better, but can’t quantify why.

This reminds me of my ‘biker pals saying my VTR is ‘old hat’ and should be replaced.  I have owned it since 2002, and whilst they have had dozens of motorcycles since then, they are unable to quantify the ‘advantages’ of their new machines.

I do, of course, appreciate the subjective view, but can anyone articulate, objectively, why your CG ... etc is better that my - for example - 692?

Thank you

L&M

Fair Imogen

(12g, 30” Sporter)
Basically your right. It's BS. 

A shotgun can be judged as reliable, or not. It can also be judged subjectively as good looking, or not. After that (with very few exceptions) they will all perform similarly ballistically and any small differences in this department can be adjusted via cartridge and chokes to perform as required.

Other than that, you are left with a structure that needs to fit your body and which has an overall weight and weight-distribution that suits you. Certain elements (some adjustable) will control recoil which affects some more than others. Barrel length is also an option based on preference. None of this is good or bad, merely personal. This sport of ours actually relies upon a fairly simple piece of equipment and NOBODY has managed to make an obviously “better” model than all the others, which is why a dozen or so brands are all used successfully in competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Paul, I guess that is right

L&M

Fair Imogen

Thank you, Will, I am sure that is right, too; the only objective criterion is ‘Fit’

L&M

Fair Imogen

My gun is better than your gun because mines  32” 692 😝

on a serious note.....just ignore them 

I think Will has pretty much nailed it. I will add however that beauty is also a factor or rather beauty being in the eyes of the beholder. For instance my DT10eell is better than your 692 because its got really nice exhibition wood and really nice engraving on the side plate. Of course this is merely my opinion. Having said that i can actually quantify that my berreta is not only better than a 692 but also a std DT10 and that is because the whole build quality is better than a std 10, the tolerances are finer the balance is better the whole thing is so much better than a std 10. I know this because i have had about 4 std 10s plus an X trap (which incidentally was utter garbage and i swear it was made in china and set up by an ape).

BUT, and its a big but....do i shoot better with it.... Probably not but like a fancy car its just nice to own what imo is a work of art.

I'd put it down to personal preference, if you prefer brand X over brand Y then brand X is the better one (for you)

Eg I love my Caesar Guerini and prefer it over a number of alternatives. It might be prettier, as the wood is fairly exeptional for the model (Maxum) but I'm not sure I'd say it is a "better" gun than your Beretta though. 

Better? Better? Not only better in my eyes & world my gun is not only the very best shotgun ever made she is also the most beautiful also, we are in harmony every time we are out together. I can offer no proven fact to support such wild claims, just in this old mans world it is so.

Better? Better? Not only better in my eyes & world my gun is not only the very best shotgun ever made she is also the most beautiful also, we are in harmony every time we are out together. I can offer no proven fact to support such wild claims, just in this old mans world it is so.
But what is it ?

There are some fairly poor guns around from the point of view of reliability and durability due to being cheaply made budget guns. They may though shoot quite well while as long as they don't break down. The 692 is not in any sense a budget gun and if looked after it will probably outlive you. The reality is that if it works for you it's better than almost any other gun regardless of price and certainly much better than a £10K gun that doesn't work for you.

Take the Miroku MK38, it's not an expensive gun and it's been around for about 6 million years, yet despite the fact that almost every other gun out there is a newer design or upgrade, people are still winning prizes with them.

My gun is better than your gun, for me, because it fits reasonably well, has had it's comb set up for my preferred sight picture (I see a lot of rib) and I'm used to the balance of it.  If yours fitted me, was set up with a similar sight picture and I shot it for a while to get used to it, mine might not be better anymore.  Wouldn't happen though because mine is my true love and I would never be unfaithful to it, no matter how much that Blaser F16 Intuition flirts with me.

• Haha
Reactions: ips
My gun is better than your gun, for me, because it fits reasonably well, has had it's comb set up for my preferred sight picture (I see a lot of rib) and I'm used to the balance of it.  If yours fitted me, was set up with a similar sight picture and I shot it for a while to get used to it, mine might not be better anymore.  Wouldn't happen though because mine is my true love and I would never be unfaithful to it, no matter how much that Blaser F16 Intuition flirts with me.
As with Wills post, bebo pretty much sums it up 👍

Bikes are very much like guns in that some people can use them effectively , some people can never utilise the capability that they have bought but love talking the talk , and some people are happier tinkering with than using them .  

Ps Tell your biking mates to get stuffed , because unless they are called  Hutchinson or McGuinness , they can’t benefit from what they have bought .  I’d take a 1000cc V over most things on the road .   ( had to sell my Mille Factory last year   ) 

Having raced road bikes on the track and owned a fair few for the road including a VTR I can tell you why it’s out classed on the track or on the IOM where there are no speed limits.

As a pure road bike its only flaw is range, a heavy right hand and mine was dry after 90 miles.

I bought one when it was considered old hat for a trip to Assen to watch moto GP as I only had race bikes, I had the intention of selling it when I got back. However, I kept it for years as it was a fun road bike and did that job fine, but it had massive limitations (mainly turning into corners hi speed or head shake if you got it to turn) when pushed hard (track day and IOM I hasten to add). My mate who never raced never saw any limitations with his VTR at all. 

The same with guns, trigger pulls, balance and tolerances can theoretically be made better/ more consistent the more you spend on manufacturing. Whether this so called better exists or is of any benefit to you is how bad you think yours is in the first place.  My view has always been if I pick up a gun and shoot it and think wow then maybe that particular gun is better, if not then it’s not.

I had a Browning Ultra XS and pretty much any gun I picked seemed better but every other gun I have owned since its just been slight personal preferences or change for changes sake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a pretty average shot and I like researching and buying guns partly (only partly!) because I kid myself that I might find THE one that makes me shoot really well.

Conversely I am an AA Class equivalent fisherman and I fish with any old kit (within reason) and take a perverse delight in catching more than my share of the fish with gear that my pals laugh at.....

The two mindsets are completely different. For me it is about confidence or the relative lack of.

^^^^Listen to this man for he knows his stuff 😬  😳 😛 no competition gun is better than the next (talking within context of decent clay guns because a 682 IS better than a Lanber) but if we were to throw in a little teaser like value for money or "breaks per pound sterling" 😜  ...................... some sure will take an embarrassing thrashing. 😂  😂

Latest posts

Back