Shooting Glasses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't this the same brand currently being promoted by Steve Lovatt ? Looks promising enough although I personally don't see the point of buying a kit with such a large number of lenses, it's bound to compromise on quality for one thing and secondly anyone will tell you the vast majority tend to use one or two shades most of the time. I use the same red tint in sun, rain and foggy weather. 

On the rare occasion when faced with a clay directly in the sun I invariably don't have a darker lens on me and besides even if I did would I want to look silly changing it and proceeding to miss 2-3 anyways. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamster ,

I believe they may be the same glasses , but £200 cheaper????? ! !  ! 

Just goes to show what a racket sports glasses are . I realised years ago that a racket had strings attached.

I personally don't see the point of buying a kit with such a large number of lenses,
I know what you mean I only use dark purple... could maybe use a set of light purple for darker days. I have become so used to purple lenses I now wonder if I now recognise the target better with them than with any other colour regardless of the light and background.

Hamster ,

I believe they may be the same glasses , but £200 cheaper????? ! !  ! 

Just goes to show what a racket sports glasses are . I realised years ago that a racket had strings attached.
Oh yes. I've been saying it since the original "HyDef" which predate Pilla first came out 😑  and that was 15 years ago ! The lens quality for those is indeed excellent but the pricing is shameless. 😳  

It's not just that they squeeze so much money out of gullible people but the fact the marketing is so merciless; every colour it seems has some particular "application" which makes it indispensable 😏  , we now even have "progressive" ones where the colour changes from top to bottom. 💤  A couple of years ago they even came out with a lens to aid seeing BLACK clays ffs, you know, the colour that comprise 90% of targets ! 

Can't blame the semi pro shooters really but it seems all it takes for them to advertise the "virtues" of these brands is a freebie pack and the ego takes over. 

I’ve stuck with the same lenses for probably 20 years , Oakley Pro M shooting array , plus a couple of “ golf lenses “ . They were once seen on every sponsored nose . I bought them on a US holiday . The  Oakley  specific shooting lens is a ghastly mirrored green/gold affair. It was  designed to make anyone over 18 years of age wearing it look like a total tw*t,  . Odd thing is the lenses are now sought after by Oakley Collectors ( would you believe it ? ) , so one day I might sell the set and fund a transition to the latest and greatest .  Still , optically they seem , to my aged eyes quite good , I’ve tried friends cheap £40 -£60 red and purple shooting glasses , and I thought I’d double dosed my morning pills 😂

I have prescription glasses   , I found a old pair of  r / e    orange tints   years old       and they are  superb  !        so I will stick to them  !       

There is no doubt in my mind that "what is required " is driven by clever marketing. I see a lot of shooters down here using guns with a semi/ high rib to shoot trap and also huge numbers of  TSK/ Ergosign type stocks... yet if you look at the very best trap shooters very few of them use either of the two of these things. I can certainly relate to someone using a high rib if they have a problem with their neck/back but these guys I know... their scores have not progressed at all. Shooting glasses have only just taken off down here because up until the start of last season the use of eye protection was not being enforced... now that it is being enforced... there are lots of fancy glasses being used.

There is no doubt in my mind that "what is required " is driven by clever marketing. I see a lot of shooters down here using guns with a semi/ high rib to shoot trap and also huge numbers of  TSK/ Ergosign type stocks... yet if you look at the very best trap shooters very few of them use either of the two of these things. I can certainly relate to someone using a high rib if they have a problem with their neck/back but these guys I know... their scores have not progressed at all. Shooting glasses have only just taken off down here because up until the start of last season the use of eye protection was not being enforced... now that it is being enforced... there are lots of fancy glasses being used.
True, certainly far as high ribs are concerned. I see no benefit in going beyond a mid rib for domestic trap disciplines. As far as stocks are concerned, i’m not so sure, not least because they offer some meaningful benefit to the shooting performance.

TSK/Ergosign stocks may look radical but the number of top level trap competitors using a standard stock is virtually none. All have either gone down the TSK/Ergosign/PFS or custom stock route.

My.preferred lenses are Pilla Max orange 40 and 72HC.  I also have max orange 85 but find I lose orange clays against a light blue sky.   The 40 actually work across a surprisingly large rage of light intensity. I may get some purple 44N as the RE purples I had worked well until I dropped them. 

I tried some of the Shootoffs.they are popular with  archers.  The Blue lens really increased the target colour  contrast especially the red and gold and they were comfy to wear.   

TSK/Ergosign stocks may look radical but the number of top level trap competitors using a standard stock is virtually none.

Really? I have been watching the finals of the ISSF men's trap 2018 six different events so far ... the top echelon for any form of trap shooting ... not one of the competitors used a Ergo/PSF/TSK style of stock and these are amongst the best trap shooters on the planet.

I have thought about having one of these type of stock so many times... but I always come back to the same conclusion... the gun stock is not the problem... 😄

Really? I have been watching the finals of the ISSF men's trap 2018 six different events so far ... the top echelon for any form of trap shooting ... not one of the competitors used a Ergo/PSF/TSK style of stock and these are amongst the best trap shooters on the planet.

I have thought about having one of these type of stock so many times... but I always come back to the same conclusion... the gun stock is not the problem... 😄
Yes, I would suggest (and it’s just a guess) about 15-20% of ISSF trap competitors use a modular stock, perhaps more than that in DT. I guess Peter Wilson, Hakan Dahlby and Vincent Hancock, all olympic medalists, are probably the best known.

As far as custom stocks are concerned, I cannot  think of a single top line competitor using anything standard. Of the top 10 DTL competitors in the UK I can only think of one that uses a ‘straight out of the box’ stock and he uses that very well.

Yes, I would suggest (and it’s just a guess) about 15-20% of ISSF trap competitors use a modular stock, perhaps more than that in DT. Domestically, it’s about 10%. 

As far as custom stocks are concerned, I cannot  think of a single top line competitor using anything standard. Of the top 10 DTL competitors in the UK I can only think of one that uses a ‘straight out of the box’ stock and he uses that very well.
 While I would agree that all the top international OT shooters use a made to measure stock... never seen one yet win a major competition using a ERGO/PSF/TSK ... there well may be shooters using them but they are not the ones doing the winning, although I do know Peter Wilson used one to win DT in London.

I can understand why a DTL shooter would use a TSK type of stock as the discipline is has slow and very limited target presentation, perhaps this type of stock lends itself to dialing into this type of target better?

While I would agree that all the top international OT shooters use a made to measure stock... never seen one yet win a major competition using a ERGO/PSF/TSK ... there well may be shooters using them but they are not the ones doing the winning, although I do know Peter Wilson used one to win DT in London.
Seriously?

Hakan Dahlby is an Olympic silver medalist, multiple European champion and World Cup winner. Vincent Hancock is a two times Olympic gold medalist (and the first ever successive winner) World champion, Pan American games winner and international record holder. Peter Wilson is a Olympic gold medalist. 

They’re amongst the best known clay target shooters in the world!

Seriously?

Hakan Dahlby is an Olympic silver medalist, multiple European champion and World Cup winner. Vincent Hancock is a two times Olympic gold medalist (and the first ever successive winner) World champion, Pan American games winner and international record holder. Peter Wilson is a Olympic gold medalist. 

They’re amongst the best known clay target shooters in the world!
Well yes Dahlby is DT and Hancock skeet... see where I am going here none of the two is a top Trap shooter their discipline is very much a regimen of targets, I am not saying they are not great shooters far from it BUT they are not at the top of trap shooting by a long long way. I think that you will also find that the imperious Michael Diamond did that before Hancock had started out!

I think you are overlooking to some extent that the top ISSF shooters, or more likely anyone qualified to ISSF levels, are using made to measure stocks.  The modular things are far more likely to be seen at lower levels simply because they are an affordable alternative to made to measure and require no access to someone actually capable of making a proper stock to measure - presuming of course the measurements are known.  As John and most here know I use the TSK and have an ergosign ( bargain courtesy of a member here) on my wife's MX8.  Those are in use because I simply don't have a practical and financially acceptable alternative.  

On the glasses - as I've mentioned here before I've used Decot for near 30yrs now.  I was a several-color kinda guy but now use only the palest purple.  The darkest lens I've ever used was a medium orange.  I just don't care for dark lenses for anything to tell the truth and have never felt any need.  The light purple works fine and the enhanced orange target against green backgrounds is an advantage of sorts.  Certainly superior to orange lenses AFAIC.

JMO of course

My.preferred lenses are Pilla Max orange 40 and 72HC.  I also have max orange 85 but find I lose orange clays against a light blue sky.   The 40 actually work across a surprisingly large rage of light intensity. I may get some purple 44N as the RE purples I had worked well until I dropped them. 

I tried some of the Shootoffs.they are popular with  archers.  The Blue lens really increased the target colour  contrast especially the red and gold and they were comfy to wear.   
Hmmmm, I might just be able to hit one of their targets at 40 yards too  !    🤔

Latest posts

Back