MIROKU MK38 EJECTOR PROBLEM

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinj

A friend who owns an old MIROKU MK38 has an on-going problem with the bottom ejector, he is using World Cup cartridges with long brass.

1. Sometimes the cartridge drops past the ejector, not too much of a problem as it is easily removed.

2. Occasionally the cartridge sticks in the chamber after firing and is very difficult to remove - a major inconvenience in a reg. shoot - maybe two percent of the time

He has had some work done, the chambers have been re-sleeved and measure the correct diameter, the gunsmith peened the ejector dovetails to tighten the fit with the ejectors. First time out after the repairs yesterday, one out of 100 stuck and needed levering out of the chamber, He said the brass had expanded and looked "bent" it was protruding one side.

Has anyone see this problem, any ideas for a fix?

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend who owns an old MIROKU MK38 has an on-going problem with the bottom ejector, he is using World Cup cartridges with long brass.

1. Sometimes the cartridge drops past the ejector, not too much of a problem as it is easily removed.

2. Occasionally the cartridge sticks in the chamber after firing and is very difficult to remove - a major inconvenience in a reg. shoot - maybe two percent of the time

He has had some work done, the chambers have been re-sleeved and measure the correct diameter, the gunsmith peened the ejector dovetails to tighten the fit with the ejectors. First time out after the repairs yesterday, one out of 100 stuck and needed levering out of the chamber, He said the brass had expanded and looked "bent" it was protruding one side.

Has anyone see this problem, any ideas for a fix?
New ejectors? first i would try a different cartridge.

' the gunsmith peened the ejector dovetails to tighten the fit '😬😬.

First of all I would consider trying a differnt brand of cartridge or same brand with shorter brass , if that is still a problem then re-check chamber size and fit a new ejector slide.

The old Winchester 101's were prone to this problem and it was always worn ejectors, mind you, it did seem to occur with some cartridges more than others. I had a 3800 that hated Eley cartridges, I just changed cartridges, problem over. THAT taught me that every cloud has a silver lining  !   🙄

I have had many 3800s and 38s only ever had this same problem once, it was due to a worn slider on the bottom barrel ( Gets the most wear ) its not a common problem but hey sh*t happens. you are talking fine tolerances between shells some are a issue when the ejector has wear !

schmokinn:

>>New ejectors? first i would try a different cartridge. <<

He has been using World Cup since the year dot and they are his "security Blanket" he was able to use them until comparatively recently and would rather fix the problem.

New ejectors, I think the obvious option, he's worried about throwing good money after bad and wants to be sure the repairs to date are not at fault or that we haven't missed something, hence sharing the problem with you guys. He had similar problems with a Browning many years ago and re-sleeving was the solution, a tried and tested solution for a not uncommon problem. He is still getting his head around the fact that it may not have been the solution in this case. I saw the chambers before the repair and they obviously needed some work so it wasn't a waste of cash.

Salopian:

Swaging metal to reduce play is a gun makers skill, one of the tricks they learn for tightening loose guns.

The sleeved chamber dimensions have been checked and double checked.

Me: I agree that he should be looking at replacing the bottom ejector if no-one has a better idea. Can they be bought and fitted by the owner or is this a gunsmith job? Does anyone know where to get them?

Alternatively a new gun? I suggested it but he thinks he's not far from hanging up his guns and doesn't want to spend the cash

Capturecc.JPG

I can't believe you're making such hard work of this. Miroku ejector riding over the cartridge head? Simple. -  replace the ejector. Any decent gunsmith can source a new one then fit it. Do it!!

Wylye,

You can lead a horse to water , but you can't make it drink.

"Swaging metal to reduce play is a gunmakers F'up to save doing a job properly"

Thank you , but no thanks.

I can't believe you're making such hard work of this. Miroku ejector riding over the cartridge head? Simple. -  replace the ejector. Any decent gunsmith can source a new one then fit it. Do it!!
Totally agree, all I can do is try to make him see sense, I'm sure he'll come round to it. Thanks guys

It needs to be fixed sooner rather than later as play in an ejector risks uneven wear on the monobloc which in turn makes fitting a new ejector more problematic. And that would likely mean the gun would be beyond economic repair.

It needs to be fixed sooner rather than later as play in an ejector risks uneven wear on the monobloc which in turn makes fitting a new ejector more problematic. And that would likely mean the gun would be beyond economic repair.
👍 Correct, having owned three Miroku guns over the years I can tell you they're not as indestructible as some like to make out. The last used one I bought some 4-5 years ago had just this issue which was fixed by replacing the ejector, other minor fault were also put right but sadly it just couldn't be made quite the gun it was meant to be when new. There really is a "wear" point beyond which it's no longer economical or even possible to put matters right. 

schmokinn:

>>New ejectors? first i would try a different cartridge. <<

He has been using World Cup since the year dot and they are his "security Blanket" he was able to use them until comparatively recently and would rather fix the problem.

New ejectors, I think the obvious option, he's worried about throwing good money after bad and wants to be sure the repairs to date are not at fault or that we haven't missed something, hence sharing the problem with you guys. He had similar problems with a Browning many years ago and re-sleeving was the solution, a tried and tested solution for a not uncommon problem. He is still getting his head around the fact that it may not have been the solution in this case. I saw the chambers before the repair and they obviously needed some work so it wasn't a waste of cash.

Salopian:

Swaging metal to reduce play is a gun makers skill, one of the tricks they learn for tightening loose guns.

The sleeved chamber dimensions have been checked and double checked.

Me: I agree that he should be looking at replacing the bottom ejector if no-one has a better idea. Can they be bought and fitted by the owner or is this a gunsmith job? Does anyone know where to get them?

Alternatively a new gun? I suggested it but he thinks he's not far from hanging up his guns and doesn't want to spend the cash

View attachment 7599
The point of trying a different cartridge was to see if it was cartridge specific....i wasn't suggesting a permanent change!

Could I please point out that I have never condoned swaging metal to tighten up loose parts or fit  ! In the above post my name is taken out of context and misquoted.

OK Schmoke, I know you are trying to help.

We exchanged emails yesterday, he has deduced that after repairs to date he only gets the odd sticky cartridge in the lower barrel and it's always long brass World Cup. He wants to find a short brass, high performance, competition cartridge, as a replacement for World Cup. Has anyone got any suggestions?

I'm not sure if such a thing exists because manufacturers always seem to add a bit more "brass" to performance cartridges for perceived value.

He can use Lyalvale English Sporter with short "Brass" with no problems at all.

It's frustrating about ejector replacement but we are not here to judge. ("My friend" isn't me by the way!)

Salopian - don't worry, your reputation is safe

OK Schmoke, I know you are trying to help.

We exchanged emails yesterday, he has deduced that after repairs to date he only gets the odd sticky cartridge in the lower barrel and it's always long brass World Cup. He wants to find a short brass, high performance, competition cartridge, as a replacement for World Cup. Has anyone got any suggestions?

I'm not sure if such a thing exists because manufacturers always seem to add a bit more "brass" to performance cartridges for perceived value.

He can use Lyalvale English Sporter with short "Brass" with no problems at all.

It's frustrating about ejector replacement but we are not here to judge. ("My friend" isn't me by the way!)

Salopian - don't worry, your reputation is safe
I would suggest that in an o/u it is unlikely to be the length of the brass more the shape.

I do notice slightly different shapes to the brass some more rounded than others,Power Golds are great but as they are the same manufacturer they may have the same shape.

I can also recommend Fiocchi F3 as a great cartridge.

Latest posts

Back