DTL - Hit with 1st Barrel, fire 2nd anyway

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod M

Hi All,

Having a go at DTL tomorrow (100 sporting and 25 DTL shoot)

In DTL, how would it be scored if you hit with your first barrel, but proceeded to fire the 2nd anyway?  Presumably as a 2nd barrel kill?

Also, do any adjustments need to be made for using a sporting gun?

Thanks

1st barrel to count regardless of firing second as long as ref sees it. As for sporting gun it will probably shoot lower but i would just shoot as you normally would

If you hit the target with your FIRST barrel, it is 3 points, regardless as to your using the second barrel or not.

IF you should miss with the first barrel, but break the target with your second shot, then it is 2 points.

If you are using an auto and give it a third, regardless of hitting it or not, it would probably be time to go home  !   😲

My coach says “shoot the bits “ as it’s a confidence builder and your competitors will think “he is that good, he can shoot the little bits! “

A win all round 😎

I find DTL is 1 point, 3 points, but mainly what’s the point. 
DTL is a mind game, its a game were only 100% will win you a major...no other discipline is as tight as DTL ....easy to hit a target fairly easy to hit 25, 100 is do able with practice, 100-300 is a difficult thing, 100- 300 regular enough to be a contender is very very hard. 

It is recommended that you have a lobotomy if you wish to shoot DTL competitively :angel:  

DTL is a mind game, its a game were only 100% will win you a major...no other discipline is as tight as DTL ....easy to hit a target fairly easy to hit 25, 100 is do able with practice, 100-300 is a difficult thing, 100- 300 regular enough to be a contender is very very hard. 
Spot on. I just couldn’t imagine devoting myself to this.  

In DTL, how would it be scored if you hit with your first barrel, but proceeded to fire the 2nd anyway?  Presumably as a 2nd barrel kill?
No, it’s done solely to build confidence and keep your head in the game should a second shot be required following a first shot miss.

Like most others i’ll take a second barrel if the opportunity presents itself. That said, it should be for the reasons above and not shot solely as habit. Unlike some other disciplines, trap, and DTL in particular, is a game of absolute perfection and anything that helps keeps you switched on is obviously a good idea.

The unfortunate irony is, if you need a second barrel for real the likelihood is you’ve blown your chances anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. I shot 18/50 on the 1 round(?) we shot. Only 3 of us shooting, so it moved at a reasonable pace. I wouldn't mind shooting it a bit more (it appeals to my pedantic nature), but I can't see ever choosing it over sporting.

Glad you enjoyed it. It’s not for everyone that’s true. The mindset of a trap shooter and is very  different to that of sporting shooter. It’s almost like comparing rifle shooting to clay shooting but for those that shoot it regularly that quest for perfection is very addictive.

No, it’s done solely to build confidence and keep your head in the game should a second shot be required following a first shot miss.

Like most others i’ll take a second barrel if the opportunity presents itself. That said, it should be for the reasons above and not shot solely as habit. Unlike some other disciplines, trap, and DTL in particular, is a game of absolute perfection and anything that helps keeps you switched on is obviously a good idea.

The unfortunate irony is, if you need a second barrel for real the likelihood is you’ve blown your chances anyway!
Absolutely!  If the 2nd bbl is fired just to fire it then you are only building a habit to pull the trigger which will likely not be all that productive.  Re-acquiring a target like a chip to shoot can be very productive if it is done without any conscious consideration.  It has to be as instinctive as the 1st bbl.

and who GAF what it costs?  Shooting is a negative cash flow enterprise for the most part anyway.  If you want to do well then that's the cost of it.

JMO of course

Back