Cleaning rods

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver 1

Right, bear with me on this one as it has doubtless been asked before but....

on a set of cleaning rods why is the thread that connects the seperate rods together different to the thread on all the accessories, jags, brushes, mops etc

i know it's a daft question but it was one of the topics of conversation trying to fend off the effects of a slow and mind numbingly boring journey back from NEC yeaterday

We were thinking along the lines of "it just is"...........but, "because" is equally valid

Right, bear with me on this one as it has doubtless been asked before but....

on a set of cleaning rods why is the thread that connects the seperate rods together different to the thread on all the accessories, jags, brushes, mops etc

i know it's a daft question but it was one of the topics of conversation trying to fend off the effects of a slow and mind numbingly boring journey back from NEC yeaterday
It's to  stop you fitting the brushes on the wrong end which would put fouling into your barrel rather than removing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a source of unceasing comfort to know that we are all so well regarded and looked after.  I certainly hope that is an international regulation.

Just buy a 1pc 34” Dewey rod and you don’t have to think about this anymore😉

Diver 1 ,

This may be of some use to you ?

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=175073&page=2

Usually the thread for joining the two or three part rods is 3/8 " course thread  UNC or a BSW thread.

Cheap foreign cleaning accessories are usually M7 x 1.25 mm.
Well this has fuelled my intrigue even more!

now apart from wanting to know WHY they are different threads I now have to find out WHAT the  thread size is 😂

From an historical point of view view I would have assumed Whitworth as it has a coarser thread form

time to dig out the screw pitch gauges. But I am still intrigued as to WHY they have to differ

so now I have set myself a challenge to make a Chamber brush that will have a short stubby handle and also,act as a handle for my rods, so I need to either

A). Come up with some funky dual,reversible adaptor

B). Get a life

I resolved all that bother by buying several shotgun cleaning kits (Outers, Hoppes kind) at swapmeets - boot sales to you I think.  Surprising how many of those turn up in unused or close to condition.  Couple $ each got me the cleaning rods, brushes, etc at a fraction of the retail price.  Then I assembled a few with different brushes, mops and put together a couple shorties just for hitting the chokes and forcing cones.  Slapped together a rack thingie to hang all that on and so together with the fuzzy stick I never have to put anything together.  I prolly have less than $10 in the lot (not counting the fuzzy stick) and have seven assembled use specific rods.

A calculus prof in my distant past touted efficient laziness.  I think this qualifies   :thumbsup:

I resolved all that bother by buying several shotgun cleaning kits (Outers, Hoppes kind) at swapmeets - boot sales to you I think.  Surprising how many of those turn up in unused or close to condition.  Couple $ each got me the cleaning rods, brushes, etc at a fraction of the retail price.  Then I assembled a few with different brushes, mops and put together a couple shorties just for hitting the chokes and forcing cones.  Slapped together a rack thingie to hang all that on and so together with the fuzzy stick I never have to put anything together.  I prolly have less than $10 in the lot (not counting the fuzzy stick) and have seven assembled use specific rods.

A calculus prof in my distant past touted efficient laziness.  I think this qualifies   :thumbsup:
Good call!

the problem is that the sort of people you get at Car boot sales here would force me to carry a loaded gun anyway!

i tend to frequent Steam engine Rallys during the summer months so I will have a look there, thank you

Pretty sure the UK's lack of the right to bear arms that you septics love means it's unfortunately not so easy to find stuff like that at car boot sales over here. :)

Diver ,

Good luck with your thread chart research 😂😂.  Don't forget to check 'Cycle Threads' 'Sewing Machine Threads'  and allow for Gunsmiths buggerence factors .

Parker Hale chose a modified cycle thread from BSA to help to protect their product. Parker Hale thread is 26 & 2/3rds TPI,  try finding a gear train to turn that !

Diver ,

Good luck with your thread chart research 😂😂.  Don't forget to check 'Cycle Threads' 'Sewing Machine Threads'  and allow for Gunsmiths buggerence factors .

Parker Hale chose a modified cycle thread from BSA to help to protect their product. Parker Hale thread is 26 & 2/3rds TPI,  try finding a gear train to turn that !
.....and also there is a specific 'brass' thread!  

In the electrical world we have 3.5mm.......nobody else in the entire world, just us. Basically we have 2 thread ; 3.5mm and 4mm.    Which was a best equivalent for the 4ba  and 2ba  that went on metrication

Diver ,

I came across a set of dual marked wrenches w/ Whitworth and metric sizes.   I suspect that Whitworth may have been metric bolt heads and thread pitch and inch diameters.  All my Whit stuff is gone now so I have no way to check that.    

Italian bicycle stuff is strange too - well the older stuff anyway before ISO.  Diameters were metric but threads were inch pitch and had the 55deg Italian v-form thread.  Maybe the consequence of the post-WW2 Marshall Plan providing machines to Italian industry.  I dunno.

Some gunmakers here (like Winchester) used a number of odd thread pitch screws.  Odd in that they were not std fine or coarse for the diameter and you used Win parts or else!  5/16x26 (IIRC) was a popular stock bolt but if it wasn't Win you'd prolly only find that in a Hogwarts hardware shop.

And Italian checkering is in metric spacing too it seems but that's a guess too.  Perazzi at any rate is not 25lpi and not 26lpi but I'd bet that it IS 25.4lpi.

And that 26 2/3 pitch?   that is .03775009"  --  just an RCH from 1mm (.0394)  if I ran that calc right.  What's a couple thou between friends hahaha (see Whitworth above)

Cockney Rhyming Slang ....   

the ancient language of jovial  chaps reputedly born within the sound of Bow Bells in London  . Popularised by favourite  old U.K. TV shows  like “ The Sweeny “ and “ Only Fools  and Horses”  . Some of it has become assimilated into other regional dialects , for example tonight I’m going out with the boys for a few beers and a “ Ruby” .  Ruby =  a singer called Ruby Murray which rhymes with the good old after beer tradition of having and Indian meal , a Curry . 

So the “Septic “ reference = Septic Tank = a Yank , please note over here we don’t see it as perjorative to say Yank , although it can be offensive to some  at your side of the ocean .

Just because it rhymes does not mean it is interchangeable so for example a “J .Arthur”  , which comes from” J Arthur Rank “ a  cinema tycoon , would in the  wrong place get you into a whole lot of trouble ......

YouTube a few episodes of The Sweeny and a couple of Chas and Dave songs and you’ll soon be fluent😂

Latest posts

Back