Errr that shouldn't be there

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaphan

So I was at work today searching through some milling cutters trying to find one the right size and in one of the cases i found this (see pic).   Its a live .22 rimfire bullet

Its among some old stock that we got when we took over another company. Now to my knowledge no one who i currently work with shoots rifles or has a firearms certificate and i don't either. Was wondering if you guys could suggest the best way to dispose of it? I don't want to cause any hassle or harm to anyone one as i was thinking that its probably illegal for it to be in my possession without a certificate and handing it over to the police for disposal would just cause unanswerable questions and blah blah red tape blah blah

I don't know anyone with a firearms cert either 

Any advice? 

View attachment DSC_0126.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Put it horizontally in a vice just gently nip it up with the rim sticking out and hit the rim with a hammer.
Under no circumstances do this know someone who tried it. lucky to end up with a lump took off his nuckle and not his head.

Brass between fingers and pull lead out with pliers.

Then throw away all parts separately.

Put it horizontally in a vice just gently nip it up with the rim sticking out and hit the rim with a hammer.
yeah i've done some dumb sh*t in my time.....but this wont be one of em .

Brass between fingers and pull lead out with pliers.

Then throw away all parts separately.
how easy is it to pull the brass away from the lead without accidentally kinking the primer/rim and setting it off in my hand?....... i'm not perceptually familiar with any firearms ammo and rim fire has always seemed a little more likely to go off than centre fire to me  

However if you drill a 5.5mm hole through a 5/8 bolt and do the same I've heard you get a very different result. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, the lead should get out by pulling gently.

Have done this many times when I still shot a .22lr semi-auto, which sometimes  damaged the lead when it jammed.

Surprisingly difficult to set of a rimfire. Spent a long time once as a kid attacking some Hilti gun blanks trying to make a bang.

Eventually got a bang when I stuck a nail in from the front and hit it with a rock.

I still have a dark patch in the top of my left index finger although I must admit that it is fading somewhat after some 50 years.

Latest posts

Back