Hydrodipping

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Hi. I’m new to the sport and have picked up an MK38 grade 1 but the wood is pretty bland. Has any one had any of their guns hydro dipped or is it something I should stear clear of and just strip the varnish and wax instead? A good friend of mine does it amd would give me a good price i imagine. Thanks

I have an MK38 grade 1 trap, and like you toyed with the idea of stripping the varnish and having it re-finished. In fact I nearly bought a far more expensive grade 5.

Thanks in part to the chaps on here and in my shooting circle, I haven't bothered. I've changed some functional bits (pad, trigger for fitted LOP) but otherwise now see the gun simply as a tool. 

If you're new to the sport (like me) focus on shooting first and think about aesthetics later.

I'll hold off a decent bit of wood (or re-finish) until I've made sufficient strides in my ability - just my thoughts. 

Twenty odd  years ago there was a bit of a fad for coloured or airbrushed  gunstocks . Beretta actually sold some  with plastic coated  woodwork with patterns on . You still see the occasional gun done that way but absolutely in a minority. I’d imagine that if you stray too far from standard the biggest issue you will have is getting a decent price when you decide to change it ( you will change it , everybody does at some point ) . 

The other thing to think of is , will you ever do any game shooting ? if you do plain old wood is good  . I’d go with an oil finish if you don’t like the lacquer . 

Twenty odd  years ago there was a bit of a fad for coloured or airbrushed  gunstocks . Beretta actually sold some  with plastic coated  woodwork with patterns on . You still see the occasional gun done that way but absolutely in a minority. I’d imagine that if you stray too far from standard the biggest issue you will have is getting a decent price when you decide to change it ( you will change it , everybody does at some point ) . 

The other thing to think of is , will you ever do any game shooting ? if you do plain old wood is good  . I’d go with an oil finish if you don’t like the lacquer . 
Yeah its the laquer bit I dont like. I was thinking of going for a better wood dip to be honest. Like tou say you always have to think about the resale value. My mate does the wood dipping on the classic cars and some of it really looks amazing. Something to mull over once I’ve put a few shells theough it. 

I have an MK38 grade 1 trap, and like you toyed with the idea of stripping the varnish and having it re-finished. In fact I nearly bought a far more expensive grade 5.

Thanks in part to the chaps on here and in my shooting circle, I haven't bothered. I've changed some functional bits (pad, trigger for fitted LOP) but otherwise now see the gun simply as a tool. 

If you're new to the sport (like me) focus on shooting first and think about aesthetics later.

I'll hold off a decent bit of wood (or re-finish) until I've made sufficient strides in my ability - just my thoughts. 
Your right mate, I should learn the sport first before changing things. It’s just a thought for now, as some of my mates finishes on the wood in the classic cars he does are really nice. 

IF, I was going to do anything which may affect the resale value of the gun, I would look for another set of woodwork and keep the original wood 'original', apart from perhaps an oil finish.

I had a fore-end and stock dipped some years ago, it looked horrible to be honest, far better to go back to bare wood and stain it if it's pale then give it an oil finish, there is plenty of information on the 'net.

IF, I was going to do anything which may affect the resale value of the gun, I would look for another set of woodwork and keep the original wood 'original', apart from perhaps an oil finish.
Thanks Westley

I had a fore-end and stock dipped some years ago, it looked horrible to be honest, far better to go back to bare wood and stain it if it's pale then give it an oil finish, there is plenty of information on the 'net.
Thanks Mike

Latest posts

Back