mk38 Wood Oiling

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod M

Hi All,

I have had my mk38 sporter Grade 1 for about a year (my first gun) and I feel I shoot with it very well.

What I'm not a fan of is the varnish finish, which looks pretty bad, especially with a few scratches.

Can anyone advise roughly how much it would cost to get the varnish removed and an oil finish applied? 

Thanks

I think a lot depends which part of the Country you live in, but also what level of finish you require. Why not have a go yourself  ?  I have done many guns over the years, BUT there had to be a 'first' one.  I managed to get an old damaged stock which I 'learned' on. I then went on to do my Miroku 3800, the rest, as they say, is history  !

ive tried a few times with varying success      remove timber from action   nitro moores  wood  it removes varnish    ,   then the fun begins  !

Hi All,

I have had my mk38 sporter Grade 1 for about a year (my first gun) and I feel I shoot with it very well.

What I'm not a fan of is the varnish finish, which looks pretty bad, especially with a few scratches.

Can anyone advise roughly how much it would cost to get the varnish removed and an oil finish applied? 

Thanks
trouble is removing the varnish  exposes  grade one wood ,   don't expect too much   with a oil finish  !! 

I live on Buckinghamshire/Hertfordshire border (about 25mins south of AGL). I'm not expecting stunning wood to magically appear, but for grade 1, the wood on mine isn't too bad, I think...

I'm not really up for trying anything myself, tbh. Just curious to know roughly what price I'm looking at to have it done. Obviously, if it's more than a couple of hundred pounds, I'll probably not bother.

IMG_20180401_090324.jpg

IMG_20180401_090408.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I had a Gd1 MK38, I took it to Teague to get the lacquer taken off and an oil finish. Cost about £100 (about 3 years ago) but I remember Nigel Teague telling me that it was a bu**er to get the lacquer off.

Latest posts

Back