LH Gun Sold as RH Gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordieboy

Ladies and Gents,

My Brother bought a Brand New Beretta from a well known establishment in the midlands.  Its a 686 Silver Pigeon Deluxe Game scene with wood you'd expect to see on High End Perazzi, he really was that fortunate!  Hes had it a couple years and shoots a few pigeons and a brace of keepers days.  He noticed that he can hit L-R Crossers and not R-L Crossers.

I told him to go to the gunshop and have a word with a gunsmith and/or coach.  He did and it appears that the gun is entirely left handed....not right handed as he had bought it.  He spoke to the establishment and the gun is indeed down as being sold according to its serial number as being Right Handed.  

This is clearly no good for him, however I am not sure what recourse he has here now he's shot it for 2-3 years?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated here.

Ladies and Gents,

My Brother bought a Brand New Beretta from a well known establishment in the midlands.  Its a 686 Silver Pigeon Deluxe Game scene with wood you'd expect to see on High End Perazzi, he really was that fortunate!  Hes had it a couple years and shoots a few pigeons and a brace of keepers days.  He noticed that he can hit L-R Crossers and not R-L Crossers.

I told him to go to the gunshop and have a word with a gunsmith and/or coach.  He did and it appears that the gun is entirely left handed....not right handed as he had bought it.  He spoke to the establishment and the gun is indeed down as being sold according to its serial number as being Right Handed.  

This is clearly no good for him, however I am not sure what recourse he has here now he's shot it for 2-3 years?

With the experience i have of GMK's customer service i would say less than none!

Ladies and Gents,

Firstly, it is unlikely that the reason he can't hit R to L is because of the guns handedness, true it won't help but for cast to be responsible for routine misses it would have to also be responsible for some very very poor chips and misses on all sorts of target presentations, been there done that.

As for what can actually be done now in practical terms, you would need to get a seasoned fitter to take a good look and advise whether the amount of cast needing to be imparted is doable on the existing gun (many suggest this is far from easy and the stock bolt too may have something to say about that). 

Failing that and providing the cast really is as bad as all that 😳  the other option would be to source a RH stock from the importer and seeing whether the original seller will make a contribution towards the cost, 2nd hand stocks are also available but obviously the likelihood of lucking into one with such good grain as his present one is almost non existent.  

Firstly, it is unlikely that the reason he can't hit R to L is because of the guns handedness, true it won't help but for cast to be responsible for routine misses it would have to also be responsible for some very very poor chips and misses on all sorts of target presentations, been there done that.

As for what can actually be done now in practical terms, you would need to get a seasoned fitter to take a good look and advise whether the amount of cast needing to be imparted is doable on the existing gun (many suggest this is far from easy and the stock bolt too may have something to say about that). 

Failing that and providing the cast really is as bad as all that 😳  the other option would be to source a RH stock from the importer and seeing whether the original seller will make a contribution towards the cost, 2nd hand stocks are also available but obviously the likelihood of lucking into one with such good grain as his present one is almost non existent.  
He misses with Bad technique agreed. But a local gunsmith pointed out that he has a LH gun not a RH one.

It was all about recourse.  The gunshop in question have offered to take a look and part ex it for him.....however....that means more money to him, and he simply cannot afford to do that.  He can sell it.....and he will as the wood is simply fantastic.....and then look for another one.  That would appear to be his best course of action.

For what it’s worth , I’ve had a gun  that had a left  hand cast , bent to a pretty significant right hand cast . I’d used it for years , with the adjustable comb compensating , but it just messed with my head . Early 2018 I took it to BK Webster gunsmith in West Tanfield near Ripon .  It now spirts 3/8” cast off , and I use the adjustable just to get the height right .  The stock bolt issue can cause problems on any significant cast , but it’s not impossible . 

So if he loves the gun and the wood is exceptional there is potentially a way forward it costs nothing to make a few phone calls. 

Ps it was a very striking looking K80 stock I had done , with a very prominent ambidextrous palm swell , to look at it you’d think it wouldn’t move but it did ! 

PPS , read this article about a right to left conversion 

http://www.bkwebstergunsmith.com/convert-stock-from-right-hand-to-left-hand.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, is your brother anywhere near Grimsthorpe? John Jeffries is back there in a couple of weeks..........maybe worth a trip!

GRIMSTHORPE RETURN

My fitting weekend last year at Grimsthorpe shooting ground received great success and I have been asked to return to repeat the event.  This has been already arranged for the weekend of 23rd and 24th February 2019.  Any customers interested in having your existing or possibly a new gun fitted, please call Sophie on 01778 591128 to reserve your spot.   As usual, all my special demo guns will be available to try too.​

​

​

Back