New to the sport

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Hi. Im from Wolverhampton and have been introduced to the sport by my family many years ago but didn’t take it up as my only interest was girls and motorcycles. Im still into both but have been reintroduced to the sport by some friends. Im still waiting for my visit from the FAO but the gun cabinet is on the wall ready. I’ve had the letter of acknowledgement back so I’m just waiting for the call. Any idea how long it ususally takes, I’ve heard tales of up to 12 months in some places? Anyway I’ve chosen a Moruku MK 38 teague sporter for my first gun as I’ve heard very good reviews about them so a friend is keeping that for me while I wait. Have I made the right choice? 

Hiya 👍  I know up in West Yorkshire , it takes around 3 /4 months total  , and bear in mind that in that time they have to have around one month to allow for your Doctor replying to their initial enquiries . There should be a service level published by your local constabulary on the firearms licensing part of their website . Mirokus are sound , you can use your 38 Sporter  for the rest of your shooting life if you want , it’s that good IMHO

Thanks Martyn👍🏻 It’s a used one around 8 years old but in great condition, and I hit a few with it on it’s first day out last weekend so I’m happy with it😃

Hi Jase, and welcome.

Are you under West Mercia & Co. or West Midlands ? West Mercia are currently doing okay I believe as they have been asking folks to renew early recently, so they must have capacity to process things an a reasonable time currently.

The MK38 is a great choice just make sure it fits you, lots of great facility's in the area for shooting grounds, gun smiths and shooting supply's ! 

A few of us on here from Shropshire also !

ATB

Matt

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I’m under Wolverhampton and Staffordshire Sniper. The Miruku feels right. Cant say as I’ve shot many others but it was a toss up between this and a very old Winchester 6500 which also felt good. I put 50 through it on Saturday and with a little guidance I was hitting the clays. The few times I have shot I have only used 21gram cartridges so am going to try 24 next. What would you guys reccomend that wont break the bank? 

The MK38 sport is a heavy gun .  You can shoot 28gms in it all day long if you wish , and it won’t beat you up . If you look through the cartridge section on here you’ll find so much info it will make your head spin . 😂  However you’ll struggle to find a bad cartridge of any brand  . I tend to use Eley for clays just because the place I buy them from does a good price . Eley First Select In 21/24/28 gm are all around £180-£185 /1000 as plastic wad , and the punchier Olympic Blues are £10 more in 24 and 28 .  Add a further £10-12 if you want fibre wad .  

Hi Jase,

My bro in law had his certificate in less than 12 weeks, start to finish, and he lives in West Mids Police area. Hope you get yours soon.

If you’re considering 24g, then I would recommend Fiocchi Fblacks. £200 per 1000, or under.

Great hard hitting cartridges that are very gentle on the shoulder.

I now use their 28g Fblacks, and wouldn’t change. 

I am only up the road in Telford.

For a Sunday morning shoot, you could try Hilton Park or Wergs. Both are right by J1 M54.

Thanks mate. I will give them a go. Hilton park & Wergs are pretty local so I will add them to my list. Thanks for the info👍🏻

The secret to success , ( and it has been since they used to send the local seargeant around ) is offering Jaffa cakes . It has been proven by endless analysis , that only 10% of refusals are due to the applicant being of unsound character  , 90 % of refusals did not offer the Jaffa 🤣

Get a packet on your way home ! 

Evening all! As my mk38 is grade 1 wood and pretty plain, I have a mate who does hydro dipping. He has done different stocks on guns before and they look pretty decent. Has anyone had anything like this done before, or heard any stories?

Evening all! As my mk38 is grade 1 wood and pretty plain, I have a mate who does hydro dipping. He has done different stocks on guns before and they look pretty decent. Has anyone had anything like this done before, or heard any stories?
I reckon you would be better off getting the lacquer finish taken off and getting it nicely oiled. I did that with my grade 1 and it looked a lot better. Or you can leave it and get a grade V when you get the inevitable itch to upgrade... Hydro dipping could well affect the resale value of it.

I reckon you would be better off getting the lacquer finish taken off and getting it nicely oiled. I did that with my grade 1 and it looked a lot better. Or you can leave it and get a grade V when you get the inevitable itch to upgrade... Hydro dipping could well affect the resale value of it.
I agree with Nick, especially about the resale value.

There are products out there for re-finishing or maintaining an oiled stock finish, such as CCL 93372 GUNSTOCK CONDITIONING OIL

I do my Silver Pig stock once or twice a year with a Beretta stock oil which would do just as well (though Browning purists might disagree :shifty: )

Back