Pump shotgun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

I was thinking the other day as I was at a private fun shoot where we all shot a pump shotgun on a couple of stands whether anyone on here uses a pump shotgun and do you ever see them at shooting grounds?

Sorry, don't want anyone to faint at the thought of a pump being used at a registered shoot or a formal game shoot. It was great fun and a very effective gun. Just a tad ratchety 😳 

I’ve got one ,  Mossberg 500 , 24” with  a polychoke , the wood  has been replaced with a Hogue nylon  combat furniture kit and a nylon vented barrel guard . Very occasionally it will get an outing on clays . We usually take a silenced .410  as well if it’s that sort of day . 

Yep this one was a Mossberg 590 24" Persuader. It has a fixed cylinder choke but it still broke a lot of clays

I've seen one on a clay ground within the last year and noted that the shooter was more than a tad competent at achieving a perfect repeated mount - he didn't miss much, was actually genuinely good to watch. 

I don’t know about pump action; but I did the last semi auto challenge that Steve Lovatt put on at Garlands, and I have never had so much fun with a gun. 

Getting your head around 3 clays in the air, or 3 shots at 2 clays, just made for a fun day out! 

I’ve got one ,  Mossberg 500 , 24” with  a polychoke , the wood  has been replaced with a Hogue nylon  combat furniture kit and a nylon vented barrel guard . Very occasionally it will get an outing on clays . We usually take a silenced .410  as well if it’s that sort of day . 
Got a pic, sounds interesting

Because the red line clashes with my tweeds , obviously 🙄  when I worked for a living I spent ages sitting in airports and hotel bedrooms , idle fingers , boredom , credit card ,Internet ... that’s my excuse how it came about 😂

018223FE-B25F-4E23-A47D-8E1166B13B60.jpeg

161FA950-14DB-444D-A6C7-948882E3E798.jpeg

2912A6F1-CE15-4B10-AB79-2BFC007D110A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Handy if you are "Just popping to the Bank"  I suppose  !    One of the Guys I shoot with uses one occasionally,  he used to play trombone in a jazz band too . They are more reliable than an auto and less ammo fussy too though.

I have two Winchester Model 12 skeet guns with Cutts Compensators.  At one time M12's ruled skeet (US) with the M12 in 12ga and 20ga and the M42 (same design smaller action) in 28ga and 410ga.  M12 trap guns and the earlier M97 trapguns were and likely still are the equal to most anything at ATA trap singles and handicap.  I recall seeing a gentleman shooting pigeons with a M12 and he did not seem to be suffering any handicap by its use.  I've never shot any other pumps but M12's handle exceptionally well regardless of how they look.  If I was ever to shoot ATA trap again I'd likely just score a M12 trap and know I had everything I needed.

Oh, yeah, BTW they last for about ever

Wonko

Interesting stuff, thanks.

What you think of martyns ?

Latest posts

Back