Jump to content
chippy

3/4 and full

Recommended Posts

chippy

As some of you know I don't normally use much choke regularly using cylinder skeet and 1/4 the tightest choke I use is 1/2 and I've never seen a target that 1/2 won't break well. Three weeks ago I purchased a Beretta 682x trap 32" choked 3/4 and full ( I wanted a black action gun) with the intention of either opening it up or getting it teagued. I've shot three sporting's with it hitting 78. 84 and 78 and the scores have surprised me I expected lower. I haven't seen any drop in targets over 25 yards but a noticeable drop in close stuff especially rabbit's. So in conclusion I don't think tight chokes gain me anything.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hamster
1 minute ago, chippy said:

As some of you know I don't normally use much choke regularly using cylinder skeet and 1/4 the tightest choke I use is 1/2 and I've never seen a target that 1/2 won't break well. Three weeks ago I purchased a Beretta 682x trap 32" choked 3/4 and full ( I wanted a black action gun) with the intention of either opening it up or getting it teagued. I've shot three sporting's with it hitting 78. 84 and 78 and the scores have surprised me I expected lower. I haven't seen any drop in targets over 25 yards but a noticeable drop in close stuff especially rabbit's. So in conclusion I don't think tight chokes gain me anything.

Makes perfect sense, people who say tight fixed chokes never cost them targets are wrong. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en
8 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Makes perfect sense, people who say tight fixed chokes never cost them targets are wrong. 

Have to agree.

I shot my MK38 full and 3/4 today on sporting layout - missed a couple of "usual banker" rabbits and other close up stuff. Minced anything even remotely rangey.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westley

Leave it as is.........................just change yer name to Dusty  !    ☺️     

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chippy
Just now, westley said:

Leave it as is.........................just change yer name to Dusty  !    ☺️     

Or missy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chippy

It's also upped my admiration of AAA shooters who knock in 90+ scores week after week with full chokes. Hitting a 10 yard bouncing rabbit with tight choke is just as skilful as hitting a 60 yard screaming battue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westley

This topic brings back memories of around 20+ years ago, when i was involved in the running of a shooting ground. We had a club gun, a Miroku 3800 Trap, with Monte Carlo stock and 3/4 and Full cokes. That gun fitted me (and an awful lot of other people) very well. To settle an argument regarding Trap guns, cartridges and chokes, I shot our 'Compak' layout and straighted it. The following week I shot the skeet layout, scoring a 23. Cartridges, well a real mixture of 21 through to 28 gram in assorted shot sizes 9's to 6's (we had a cartridge bucket that people threw their junk cartridges in !). Nothing magic, just a gun that fitted well and the confidence in it,  to shoot at anything. The same gun, in the hands of a good DTL man (who shall remain nameless !) did 100 straight one Sunday morning whilst his 'K' gun was back with Mr. Rhone, for the 3rd. time. We gave £350 for the Miroku and it was as loose as a bag of spanners when we bought it. No new springs, firing pins or anything else during it's 17 years or so with us. Thousands of cartridges (too many to count) and the only modification was my removing the varnish from the wood and oil finishing it. If you have faith in the gun, the rest is between yer ears  !

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doctor Lecter
20 hours ago, chippy said:

It's also upped my admiration of AAA shooters who knock in 90+ scores week after week with full chokes. Hitting a 10 yard bouncing rabbit with tight choke is just as skilful as hitting a 60 yard screaming battue.

ive had 3/4 full   and everything in between  my scores have remained average   , I now shoot 1/4  1/2     I do wonder about the  aaa  and aa   top shots   do they honestly  shoot  3/4 full ?  if so how do they remain so consistent  ?   skillset ,  eyesight , reactions  , target reading  ?  or a combination of all  ?  or would they lie about their chokes ?    no why would they !!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westley

LIE, LIE  ?      No never, I just do NOT believe that ANY competition shooters would tell PORKIES   !     😲    🙄    🤔    😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwpzx9r

 I have had many a debate about 3/4 and full for trap at my club. Not because I don't think that is is a bad combo... just that the people that I am talking with are trying to break the target BEFORE the target has travelled the distance that suits those chokes . On the other hand there is a guy who does shoot the first very quickly and he uses a 1/4 and full so I can understand why he shoots that first tube very fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chippy

I've been using the 3/4 and full trap gun for three weeks shooting floodlit skeet with little success a best of 22 so tonight I took my normal gun and guess what they had floodlit DTL on. And I won it using skeet and 1/4 choke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westley
13 hours ago, chippy said:

I've been using the 3/4 and full trap gun for three weeks shooting floodlit skeet with little success a best of 22 so tonight I took my normal gun and guess what they had floodlit DTL on. And I won it using skeet and 1/4 choke.

Ah, yes BUT if they were of a 'certain make'  (they make yoghurt too !)  they would ACTUALLY have been........................  1/4 and 1/2, I think  !     🤔

Your'e just trying to get yer 'Chippy' handle back, aren't you   ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chippy
10 minutes ago, westley said:

Ah, yes BUT if they were of a 'certain make'  (they make yoghurt too !)  they would ACTUALLY have been........................  1/4 and 1/2, I think  !     🤔

Your'e just trying to get yer 'Chippy' handle back, aren't you   ?

No I've never bought into the aftermarket choke  con. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doctor Lecter
5 hours ago, chippy said:

No I've never bought into the aftermarket choke  con. 

why would anyone think a aftermarket  choke is better than the manufactures original   ,    ?   :sarcastichand:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×