chippy

3/4 and full

chippy

As some of you know I don't normally use much choke regularly using cylinder skeet and 1/4 the tightest choke I use is 1/2 and I've never seen a target that 1/2 won't break well. Three weeks ago I purchased a Beretta 682x trap 32" choked 3/4 and full ( I wanted a black action gun) with the intention of either opening it up or getting it teagued. I've shot three sporting's with it hitting 78. 84 and 78 and the scores have surprised me I expected lower. I haven't seen any drop in targets over 25 yards but a noticeable drop in close stuff especially rabbit's. So in conclusion I don't think tight chokes gain me anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hamster
1 minute ago, chippy said:

As some of you know I don't normally use much choke regularly using cylinder skeet and 1/4 the tightest choke I use is 1/2 and I've never seen a target that 1/2 won't break well. Three weeks ago I purchased a Beretta 682x trap 32" choked 3/4 and full ( I wanted a black action gun) with the intention of either opening it up or getting it teagued. I've shot three sporting's with it hitting 78. 84 and 78 and the scores have surprised me I expected lower. I haven't seen any drop in targets over 25 yards but a noticeable drop in close stuff especially rabbit's. So in conclusion I don't think tight chokes gain me anything.

Makes perfect sense, people who say tight fixed chokes never cost them targets are wrong. 

• Like 4

antse7en
8 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Makes perfect sense, people who say tight fixed chokes never cost them targets are wrong. 

Have to agree.

I shot my MK38 full and 3/4 today on sporting layout - missed a couple of "usual banker" rabbits and other close up stuff. Minced anything even remotely rangey.

• Like 1

westley

Leave it as is.........................just change yer name to Dusty  !    ☺️     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

chippy
Just now, westley said:

Leave it as is.........................just change yer name to Dusty  !    ☺️     

Or missy

chippy

It's also upped my admiration of AAA shooters who knock in 90+ scores week after week with full chokes. Hitting a 10 yard bouncing rabbit with tight choke is just as skilful as hitting a 60 yard screaming battue.

• Like 3

westley

This topic brings back memories of around 20+ years ago, when i was involved in the running of a shooting ground. We had a club gun, a Miroku 3800 Trap, with Monte Carlo stock and 3/4 and Full cokes. That gun fitted me (and an awful lot of other people) very well. To settle an argument regarding Trap guns, cartridges and chokes, I shot our 'Compak' layout and straighted it. The following week I shot the skeet layout, scoring a 23. Cartridges, well a real mixture of 21 through to 28 gram in assorted shot sizes 9's to 6's (we had a cartridge bucket that people threw their junk cartridges in !). Nothing magic, just a gun that fitted well and the confidence in it,  to shoot at anything. The same gun, in the hands of a good DTL man (who shall remain nameless !) did 100 straight one Sunday morning whilst his 'K' gun was back with Mr. Rhone, for the 3rd. time. We gave £350 for the Miroku and it was as loose as a bag of spanners when we bought it. No new springs, firing pins or anything else during it's 17 years or so with us. Thousands of cartridges (too many to count) and the only modification was my removing the varnish from the wood and oil finishing it. If you have faith in the gun, the rest is between yer ears  !

• Like 9

Doctor Lecter
20 hours ago, chippy said:

It's also upped my admiration of AAA shooters who knock in 90+ scores week after week with full chokes. Hitting a 10 yard bouncing rabbit with tight choke is just as skilful as hitting a 60 yard screaming battue.

ive had 3/4 full   and everything in between  my scores have remained average   , I now shoot 1/4  1/2     I do wonder about the  aaa  and aa   top shots   do they honestly  shoot  3/4 full ?  if so how do they remain so consistent  ?   skillset ,  eyesight , reactions  , target reading  ?  or a combination of all  ?  or would they lie about their chokes ?    no why would they !!  

• Like 2

westley

LIE, LIE  ?      No never, I just do NOT believe that ANY competition shooters would tell PORKIES   !     😲    🙄    🤔    😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

jwpzx9r

I have had many a debate about 3/4 and full for trap at my club. Not because I don't think that is is a bad combo... just that the people that I am talking with are trying to break the target BEFORE the target has travelled the distance that suits those chokes . On the other hand there is a guy who does shoot the first very quickly and he uses a 1/4 and full so I can understand why he shoots that first tube very fast.

chippy

I've been using the 3/4 and full trap gun for three weeks shooting floodlit skeet with little success a best of 22 so tonight I took my normal gun and guess what they had floodlit DTL on. And I won it using skeet and 1/4 choke.

westley
13 hours ago, chippy said:

I've been using the 3/4 and full trap gun for three weeks shooting floodlit skeet with little success a best of 22 so tonight I took my normal gun and guess what they had floodlit DTL on. And I won it using skeet and 1/4 choke.

Ah, yes BUT if they were of a 'certain make'  (they make yoghurt too !)  they would ACTUALLY have been........................  1/4 and 1/2, I think  !     🤔

Your'e just trying to get yer 'Chippy' handle back, aren't you   ?

• Like 1

chippy
10 minutes ago, westley said:

Ah, yes BUT if they were of a 'certain make'  (they make yoghurt too !)  they would ACTUALLY have been........................  1/4 and 1/2, I think  !     🤔

No I've never bought into the aftermarket choke  con. 

Doctor Lecter
5 hours ago, chippy said:

No I've never bought into the aftermarket choke  con. 

why would anyone think a aftermarket  choke is better than the manufactures original   ,    ?   :sarcastichand:

• Like 1

Martinj
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, westley said:

Do Yoplait make chokes now?

AW13

Someone had to re-start this thread......

I have been re-debating in my very small brain whether to adjust my MK60 which has fixed 1/4 & 3/4.  The 3/4 is a tad too tight for the close stuff so do I leave them the same, adjust to 1/4 & 1/2 or adjust to 1/4 & 1/4.

The debate in my head goes on. I am thinking adjust them to 1/4 & 1/2 and then I can always have the option to go to 1/4 & 1/4.

Doctor Lecter
2 minutes ago, AW13 said:

I have been re-debating in my very small brain whether to adjust my MK60 which has fixed 1/4 & 3/4.  The 3/4 is a tad too tight for the close stuff so do I leave them the same, adjust to 1/4 & 1/2 or adjust to 1/4 & 1/4.

The debate in my head goes on. I am thinking adjust them to 1/4 & 1/2 and then I can always have the option to go to 1/4 & 1/4.

put a decent skeet 9 in the top barrel  ,     results are surprising  ! 

• Thanks 1

Will Hewland
4 minutes ago, AW13 said:

There is no right answer, but your conclusion does have a certain logic. Personally i see real value in having the same choke in each barrel just to leave my head alone. And that is 1/4. My mate shoots 1/4 and 1/2 and is not aware which choke is in which barrel so achieves a similar mental perspective..

• Thanks 1

AW13
22 minutes ago, Geordieboy said:

Reading the above posts and this article suggests I should reduce the top barrel to 1/2.

Yesterday I read the miroku manual that does say the choke section of the barrels are NOT chromed to facilitate user choke preference adjustment.

I'll pop into a gunsmith and get formal barrel choke measurements and then decide.

Thanks

Geordieboy

Very interesting I thought.  Mind you, you need to check how your gun patterns.  I now prefer to change shells (I shoot Sporting) instead of chokes because different shells give several chokes difference.

El Spavo
2 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

There is no right answer, but your conclusion does have a certain logic. Personally i see real value in having the same choke in each barrel just to leave my head alone.

I'm trying to not get sucked anymore into this whole vortex of choke head games so as Will says I leave mine well alone at 1/4 bottom, 1/2 top (cos that's what Browning supplied me with and I physically have to have SOMETHING in there!) and literally all I bother with it is if one bird is nearer than the other then I pick the 1/2 for the farthest. No mind games, no complicated decision, boom! If I hit it, I hit it, and I leave it at that cos I've not looked into it but I'm sure the difference in pattern between the two chokes isn't enough for me to be concerned about as long as they're no more than one size between top & bottom.

But what do I know?! 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Geordieboy
16 minutes ago, El Spavo said:

I'm trying to not get sucked anymore into this whole vortex of choke head games so as Will says I leave mine well alone at 1/4 bottom, 1/2 top (cos that's what Browning supplied me with and I physically have to have SOMETHING in there!) and literally all I bother with it is if one bird is nearer than the other then I pick the 1/2 for the farthest. No mind games, no complicated decision, boom! If I hit it, I hit it, and I leave it at that cos I've not looked into it but I'm sure the difference in pattern between the two chokes isn't enough for me to be concerned about as long as they're no more than one size between top & bottom.

But what do I know?! 😄

You know that fu......Messing about too much misses clays!...Thats what you really know!

If it ain't broken.......don't fix it!

• Thanks 1

AW13

"If it ain't broken.......don't fix it!"

and that is where I am coming from, I just want to make sure I have a reasonable spread of shot for close to reasonably far!

Yesterday one of the targets was a rabbit quartering towards you and finished up under your feet, the stand was on scaffolding. When i shot with the 3/4 choke it certainly killed the rabbit but it also dug a hole about 5" wide and quite deep....😳

Hence the new thoughts about opening up the 3/4 barrel

westley
4 hours ago, Martinj said:

Do Yoplait make chokes now?

IF that is Welsh for Muller, then yes  !