3/4 and full

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy

As some of you know I don't normally use much choke regularly using cylinder skeet and 1/4 the tightest choke I use is 1/2 and I've never seen a target that 1/2 won't break well. Three weeks ago I purchased a Beretta 682x trap 32" choked 3/4 and full ( I wanted a black action gun) with the intention of either opening it up or getting it teagued. I've shot three sporting's with it hitting 78. 84 and 78 and the scores have surprised me I expected lower. I haven't seen any drop in targets over 25 yards but a noticeable drop in close stuff especially rabbit's. So in conclusion I don't think tight chokes gain me anything.

As some of you know I don't normally use much choke regularly using cylinder skeet and 1/4 the tightest choke I use is 1/2 and I've never seen a target that 1/2 won't break well. Three weeks ago I purchased a Beretta 682x trap 32" choked 3/4 and full ( I wanted a black action gun) with the intention of either opening it up or getting it teagued. I've shot three sporting's with it hitting 78. 84 and 78 and the scores have surprised me I expected lower. I haven't seen any drop in targets over 25 yards but a noticeable drop in close stuff especially rabbit's. So in conclusion I don't think tight chokes gain me anything.
Makes perfect sense, people who say tight fixed chokes never cost them targets are wrong. 

Makes perfect sense, people who say tight fixed chokes never cost them targets are wrong. 
Have to agree.

I shot my MK38 full and 3/4 today on sporting layout - missed a couple of "usual banker" rabbits and other close up stuff. Minced anything even remotely rangey.

It's also upped my admiration of AAA shooters who knock in 90+ scores week after week with full chokes. Hitting a 10 yard bouncing rabbit with tight choke is just as skilful as hitting a 60 yard screaming battue.

This topic brings back memories of around 20+ years ago, when i was involved in the running of a shooting ground. We had a club gun, a Miroku 3800 Trap, with Monte Carlo stock and 3/4 and Full cokes. That gun fitted me (and an awful lot of other people) very well. To settle an argument regarding Trap guns, cartridges and chokes, I shot our 'Compak' layout and straighted it. The following week I shot the skeet layout, scoring a 23. Cartridges, well a real mixture of 21 through to 28 gram in assorted shot sizes 9's to 6's (we had a cartridge bucket that people threw their junk cartridges in !). Nothing magic, just a gun that fitted well and the confidence in it,  to shoot at anything. The same gun, in the hands of a good DTL man (who shall remain nameless !) did 100 straight one Sunday morning whilst his 'K' gun was back with Mr. Rhone, for the 3rd. time. We gave £350 for the Miroku and it was as loose as a bag of spanners when we bought it. No new springs, firing pins or anything else during it's 17 years or so with us. Thousands of cartridges (too many to count) and the only modification was my removing the varnish from the wood and oil finishing it. If you have faith in the gun, the rest is between yer ears  !

It's also upped my admiration of AAA shooters who knock in 90+ scores week after week with full chokes. Hitting a 10 yard bouncing rabbit with tight choke is just as skilful as hitting a 60 yard screaming battue.
ive had 3/4 full   and everything in between  my scores have remained average   , I now shoot 1/4  1/2     I do wonder about the  aaa  and aa   top shots   do they honestly  shoot  3/4 full ?  if so how do they remain so consistent  ?   skillset ,  eyesight , reactions  , target reading  ?  or a combination of all  ?  or would they lie about their chokes ?    no why would they !!  

LIE, LIE  ?      No never, I just do NOT believe that ANY competition shooters would tell PORKIES   !     😲    🙄    🤔    😉

I have had many a debate about 3/4 and full for trap at my club. Not because I don't think that is is a bad combo... just that the people that I am talking with are trying to break the target BEFORE the target has travelled the distance that suits those chokes . On the other hand there is a guy who does shoot the first very quickly and he uses a 1/4 and full so I can understand why he shoots that first tube very fast.

I've been using the 3/4 and full trap gun for three weeks shooting floodlit skeet with little success a best of 22 so tonight I took my normal gun and guess what they had floodlit DTL on. And I won it using skeet and 1/4 choke.

I've been using the 3/4 and full trap gun for three weeks shooting floodlit skeet with little success a best of 22 so tonight I took my normal gun and guess what they had floodlit DTL on. And I won it using skeet and 1/4 choke.
Ah, yes BUT if they were of a 'certain make'  (they make yoghurt too !)  they would ACTUALLY have been........................  1/4 and 1/2, I think  !     🤔

Your'e just trying to get yer 'Chippy' handle back, aren't you   ?

Ah, yes BUT if they were of a 'certain make'  (they make yoghurt too !)  they would ACTUALLY have been........................  1/4 and 1/2, I think  !     🤔

No I've never bought into the aftermarket choke  con. 

Do Yoplait make chokes now?

Someone had to re-start this thread......

I have been re-debating in my very small brain whether to adjust my MK60 which has fixed 1/4 & 3/4.  The 3/4 is a tad too tight for the close stuff so do I leave them the same, adjust to 1/4 & 1/2 or adjust to 1/4 & 1/4.

The debate in my head goes on. I am thinking adjust them to 1/4 & 1/2 and then I can always have the option to go to 1/4 & 1/4.

I have been re-debating in my very small brain whether to adjust my MK60 which has fixed 1/4 & 3/4.  The 3/4 is a tad too tight for the close stuff so do I leave them the same, adjust to 1/4 & 1/2 or adjust to 1/4 & 1/4.

The debate in my head goes on. I am thinking adjust them to 1/4 & 1/2 and then I can always have the option to go to 1/4 & 1/4.
put a decent skeet 9 in the top barrel  ,     results are surprising  ! 

There is no right answer, but your conclusion does have a certain logic. Personally i see real value in having the same choke in each barrel just to leave my head alone. And that is 1/4. My mate shoots 1/4 and 1/2 and is not aware which choke is in which barrel so achieves a similar mental perspective..

Latest posts

Back