Mobilchokes or Briley or Teague?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

I am buying an extra choke or two and I have heard that after market Briley/Teague chokes pattern tighter than the factory Mobilchokes?   Is this a correct fact or just peoples opinions.

The chokes I am considering are Skeet and LM .015.

I’d appreciate any experiences you might have.

If anything possibly looser as some people believe Beretta produce tighter patterns for a given restriction,the only way you will ever really know is to properly pattern test them.

Manufacturer is subjective and a lot of people believe there are wonder chokes out there that will give them magical extra clays,the reality is that the chokes that came with your gun will be as good as any other.

For my A400 i have gradually reduced to 1/4 kicks choke and it still breaks anything i have shot at if i get it right because it looks great and i can check it is tight by hand....really the only reasons for purchasing aftermarket chokes

The fact is cartridge choice may make more of a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly looser rather than tighter.

That has opened a can of worms in my head...

The choke will be for my SA so perhaps just leave a 1/4 in apart from skeet 

If anything possibly looser as some people believe Beretta produce tighter patterns for a given restriction,the only way you will ever really know is to properly pattern test them.

Manufacturer is subjective and a lot of people believe there are wonder chokes out there that will give them magical extra clays,the reality is that the chokes that came with your gun will be as good as any other.

For my A400 i have gradually reduced to 1/4 kicks choke and it still breaks anything i have shot at if i get it right because it looks great and i can check it is tight by hand....really the only reasons for purchasing aftermarket chokes

The fact is cartridge choice may make more of a difference.
Those Kicks chokes are awesome.  They measure about right for the choke size but how they hold a pattern is unreal.  A friend of mine has a 725 Pro-Trap and shooting a Cheddite Universal trap at about 30yds, his 1/4 choke delivered a pattern smaller than a bin lid, and perfectly round.  Awesome chokes.  By contrast, my 3/8th with Fiocchi Official Sporting looked like a map of africa!!!!!  

Possibly looser rather than tighter.

That has opened a can of worms in my head...

The choke will be for my SA so perhaps just leave a 1/4 in apart from skeet 
That is what i would do,to much thought put into chokes all caused by the marketing media...1/4 and forget about it and concentrate on the important stuff!

Not worth worrying about . The only thing I will say is that as far as I know you can’t get a Mobil choke in 3/8 ( .015”) . If you want to try a different choke buy that one . For what it’s worth on Sunday I pulled off a few real hero shots with a genuine 3/8 “ ( that is 15 thou construction from the actual measured bore of my gun ) . This was on a simulated game day . 20 yards to a couple of fluked 60 yarders  With a fibre Eley Blue 7.5 , everything broke nicely . 

Popped out for a practice this afternoon. I shot all sorts of sporting presentations with a 1/4  and 2 rounds of skeet.  One round of skeet with 1/4 and the other with a borrowed skeet choke.

The sporting felt confortable with a 1/4, even some quite rangy ones and on the skeet I got 23 and 24 so did that skeet choke 'buy' me one more clay......hmmm.

Since skeet is really only practice for mount and crossers I am now thinking why spend more on chokes, I might not gain anything worthwhile, so just put in a 1/4 and focus on hitting clays.

I'll ponder for a while, my inclination is to just use the 1/4 and stop any potential faffing about.

I use 1/4 choke most of the time in my 303 auto, the only time I will change to 3/8 is to wind up the gang on here  !!      😏

Briley chokes measure way tighter than the correct measurement. The skeet chokes measure 15 thou which is 3/8 . Teague are closer to the correct measurement.

Briley chokes measure way tighter than the correct measurement. The skeet chokes measure 15 thou which is 3/8 . Teague are closer to the correct measurement.
That is interesting, the skeet choke I borrowed was a Briley, so if you are correct it is actually tighter than a 1/4 or .010 choke 😮

I am buying an extra choke or two and I have heard that after market Briley/Teague chokes pattern tighter than the factory Mobilchokes?   Is this a correct fact or just peoples opinions.

a measurement  is just that a fixed  documented measurement          as long as it is calibrated  to the nominal bore  of the gun  !!    so how can a Teague  choke pattern tighter than a Briley ?  cartridges through said choke  can make a difference though  , !  :thankyou:

What do you want/expect from different chokes in the 1st instance ?

What do you want/expect from different chokes in the 1st instance ?
Skeet - short range kills 

LM - kills at a longer range than a 1/4

I have now pretty much decided that using a 1/4 on a skeet course is a good way to practice crossers so I dont think I will get a skeet choke.

I have also repeatedly killed longer range clays with the 1/4 choke, I am guessing some were 40 yards or more so again will that extra little bit of constriction really make that much of a difference expecially when I have a 1/2 choke if targets are consistantly longer range.

In summary - put a 1/4 in and just focus on the clays which will also remove another thing that might eat away at my concentration. 

Just to ease my 'mind game', I will use an Express World Cup if I think the target is edge on and a bit rangey  !   It just gives me 1 less thing to blame the gun/cartridge for.

I`ve found 1/4 factory Mobil has broken everything I`ve shot at on sporting courses tbh and I normally just fit sk/sk factory chokes .They seem to shoot centre dense at close range and hold together well out.Counter intuitive I know but that`s what I`ve found with the 2 guns I`ve used.I have Teague extended Mobil in 1/4 and 5/8 which work well too but I dont think they shoot any better or worse than the standard factory chokes tbh.

Back