Will Hewland

Have Rio got a viable eco wad?

Will Hewland

It’s obvious that we need a plastic type wad that degrades after use. I see Rio are promoting theirs at the Las Vegas show. Is this finally a solution?

734554C1-C6B6-42FB-9EE6-48797F81F07B.png

• Like 1

El Spavo

My instinct thinks cost compared to traditional wadding types might kill this, unfortunately. 😕

Garwood

I hope its a successful innovation !

El Spavo

Yeah, would be great. 👍

Madmillie

Eco

Eco-friendly seems a bit of a nonsense when you consider what the cup is likely to contain and is propelling into the surrounding environment.😂😂😂😂MM

Garwood

Has to be better than plastic.....

jwpzx9r

I would actually like to know what is not eco friendly about plastic wads. If you are shooting clay targets you are shooting in an enclosed/ controlled environment where the wads can be reclaimed or recovered from the area onto which they have been shot. People getting hot around the neck about plastic wads used in shooting clay targets is nonsensical IMO . At any trap shooting ground you know exactly where to go to collect the wads within a few yards, the broken targets are another matter and these should be made from a material that is not harmful to the environment.

Edited by jwpzx9r
  • Thanks 2

schmokinn

No doubt it will be no different to any other "Eco" wad and will require leaving in a bucket of water for 3 months to dissolve,so in a year like last year will still be there come new year!

This total obsession with something that is tiny on the grand scale of things baffles me and i think we are effectively shooting ourselves in the foot by publicizing and making such a big deal out of it.

They will simply be doing it for marketing purposes!

Edited by schmokinn
  • Like 2

Will Hewland
32 minutes ago, jwpzx9r said:

I would actually like to know what is not eco friendly about plastic wads. If you are shooting clay targets you are shooting in an enclosed/ controlled environment where the wads can be reclaimed or recovered from the area onto which they have been shot. People getting hot around the neck about plastic wads used in shooting clay targets is nonsensical IMO . At any trap shooting ground you know exactly where to go to collect the wads within a few yards, the broken targets are another matter and these should be made from a material that is not harmful to the environment.

Very different on a large sprawling sporting course. Good luck picking them up on the West Wycombe estate...

19 minutes ago, schmokinn said:

No doubt it will be no different to any other "Eco" wad and will require leaving in a bucket of water for 3 months to dissolve,so in a year like last year will still be there come new year!

This total obsession with something that is tiny on the grand scale of things baffles me and i think we are effectively shooting ourselves in the foot by publicizing and making such a big deal out of it.

They will simply be doing it for marketing purposes!

Madness not to see if progress can be made with this. While some may feel its a PR thing now, it could be something we are pleased to have if legislation (or agreements) come in. 

Stigger

Reading the Rio news, it clearly states that it is for a new steel cartridge, which is obviously aimed at the waterfowler. It's always been a bit strange that where you can only shoot steel, you end up having to use plastic wads. This seems to be a great step forward as many of the wads will end up in the water and dissolve.

Well done Rio.

• Like 1

jwpzx9r
2 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Very different on a large sprawling sporting course. Good luck picking them up on the West Wycombe estate...

Madness not to see if progress can be made with this. While some may feel its a PR thing now, it could be something we are pleased to have if legislation (or agreements) come in. 

Will to my way of thinking the best PR that world shooting could pull and it would / should make things at least stay even for the shooters cost wise, should all this eco nonsense be foisted upon shooters, is that the max load for all disciplines be 24g and shot size should also be the same. If all shooters are using the same loadings cartridge prices should be maintained at current for 28g loads with varying shot sizes. Any drop off in scores due to the changes would be proportionate across grades and the only harm done would be to egos that are hurt because the scores is 92ex100 instead of 99 to 100. Let's be honest here manufacturers are not going to not make a profit from something new being introduced to the sport even if it is sudo eco  friendly.

• Like 1

Will Hewland
33 minutes ago, jwpzx9r said:

Will to my way of thinking the best PR that world shooting could pull and it would / should make things at least stay even for the shooters cost wise, should all this eco nonsense be foisted upon shooters, is that the max load for all disciplines be 24g and shot size should also be the same. If all shooters are using the same loadings cartridge prices should be maintained at current for 28g loads with varying shot sizes. Any drop off in scores due to the changes would be proportionate across grades and the only harm done would be to egos that are hurt because the scores is 92ex100 instead of 99 to 100. Let's be honest here manufacturers are not going to not make a profit from something new being introduced to the sport even if it is sudo eco  friendly.

I agree 24g for all would be fine. After all it used to be 36g. 

All new products become cheaper in time. It’s almost always down to scale of production.

schmokinn

Armusa brought them out nearly 10 years ago,they were so successful that they don't make them any more......

Will Hewland
1 hour ago, schmokinn said:

Armusa brought them out nearly 10 years ago,they were so successful that they don't make them any more......

Diesel engines were awful in 1930. Usually it’s not the concept but some development and cracking the production method that makes things viable. Plus the anti plastic thing is way more critical now, politically anyway. 

Westward

These might be limited to steel shot or nonviable due to costs but I applaud anyone introducing environmentally friendly products which help present shooting in the best possible light. A plastic wad may be fairly small but millions are shot every year and a good many end up in undergrowth and farmland where they stay for many years. Let's hope this serves to get other manufacturers to follow suit.

Garwood

You dont have to be too much of a visionary to imagine what will be the next target if our enemies were to succeed in banning lead shot ! You need an encompassing wad for steel and sure as eggs are eggs ,plaswads will be next on the list !!!! Personally I applaud any company that endeavours to give us a product to combat that scenario.

schmokinn
3 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Diesel engines were awful in 1930. Usually it’s not the concept but some development and cracking the production method that makes things viable. Plus the anti plastic thing is way more critical now, politically anyway. 

i mention a 10 year gap and believe me from what i have seen there is little difference between then and now and you go 90 years for your example......🙄

LarsJ
5 hours ago, schmokinn said:

I saw this post and got a bit baffled. They actually sell them here in Denmark. It's a bit of a marketing stretch from Rio. They could sell used cars with those words. Here is Armusas product from 2013. Just fast forward to 7 min. 

I can see the use for them while out and and about. But on a typical range there is no need (unless the owner states it). We pick up twice a year and recycle. 

Lars

• Haha 1

schmokinn
25 minutes ago, LarsJ said:

I saw this post and got a bit baffled. They actually sell them here in Denmark. It's a bit of a marketing stretch from Rio. They could sell used cars with those words. Here is Armusas product from 2013. Just fast forward to 7 min. 

I can see the use for them while out and and about. But on a typical range there is no need (unless the owner states it). We pick up twice a year and recycle. 

Lars

And if you believe that you will believe anything Green-Shoot-on-soil-Day-91.jpg

Test Plot-Grass & soil Day 341

http://www.clay-shooting.com/features/shooting-without-trace/

LarsJ

I belive its a marketing crap from both sides (Rio and Armusas). They are trying to sell a product to a certain segment (just like the super duper titanium strike that Eley put out) What I was opposing was Rios claim. On both accounts its probably faeces coming from a male cow. 

Lars

• Like 1

schmokinn
1 hour ago, LarsJ said:

I belive its a marketing crap from both sides (Rio and Armusas). They are trying to sell a product to a certain segment (just like the super duper titanium strike that Eley put out) What I was opposing was Rios claim. On both accounts its probably faeces coming from a male cow. 

Lars

I wasn't knocking you Lars,just the comparison of 24 hours in the video and actual reality :biggrin:

Not to worry i am sure there will be somebody marketing vegan shells soon:ph34r:

FESkent

As has been said they are nothing new, I have samples but they are very expensive like five times the price of a normal plastic wad.

Green shoots were the brand they were being sold as they got a big EU grant to perfect them.

They are made from PVA (wood glue) but are so hydroscopic that the shelf life quoted for the cartridge was only one year.

But these however look like they could be a game changer www.greenopsammo.com

but they only have very limit manufacturing capacity at this time, but are hoping they can overcome this one way or another, so they are therefore still expenisve

and hence they are loading their own cartridges only at this time.

However I am hopping that one day we will be able to offer the wads to the UK home loaders - so watch this space!

John.

FES

• Like 1

westley

Good job the 'plastic coated'  shot thing died a death really then.......................isn't it    ?

• Haha 1