Have Rio got a viable eco wad?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

It’s obvious that we need a plastic type wad that degrades after use. I see Rio are promoting theirs at the Las Vegas show. Is this finally a solution?

734554C1-C6B6-42FB-9EE6-48797F81F07B.png

Eco

Eco-friendly seems a bit of a nonsense when you consider what the cup is likely to contain and is propelling into the surrounding environment.😂😂😂😂MM

I would actually like to know what is not eco friendly about plastic wads. If you are shooting clay targets you are shooting in an enclosed/ controlled environment where the wads can be reclaimed or recovered from the area onto which they have been shot. People getting hot around the neck about plastic wads used in shooting clay targets is nonsensical IMO . At any trap shooting ground you know exactly where to go to collect the wads within a few yards, the broken targets are another matter and these should be made from a material that is not harmful to the environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt it will be no different to any other "Eco" wad and will require leaving in a bucket of water for 3 months to dissolve,so in a year like last year will still be there come new year!

This total obsession with something that is tiny on the grand scale of things baffles me and i think we are effectively shooting ourselves in the foot by publicizing and making such a big deal out of it.

They will simply be doing it for marketing purposes!

I would actually like to know what is not eco friendly about plastic wads. If you are shooting clay targets you are shooting in an enclosed/ controlled environment where the wads can be reclaimed or recovered from the area onto which they have been shot. People getting hot around the neck about plastic wads used in shooting clay targets is nonsensical IMO . At any trap shooting ground you know exactly where to go to collect the wads within a few yards, the broken targets are another matter and these should be made from a material that is not harmful to the environment.
Very different on a large sprawling sporting course. Good luck picking them up on the West Wycombe estate...

No doubt it will be no different to any other "Eco" wad and will require leaving in a bucket of water for 3 months to dissolve,so in a year like last year will still be there come new year!

This total obsession with something that is tiny on the grand scale of things baffles me and i think we are effectively shooting ourselves in the foot by publicizing and making such a big deal out of it.

They will simply be doing it for marketing purposes!
Madness not to see if progress can be made with this. While some may feel its a PR thing now, it could be something we are pleased to have if legislation (or agreements) come in. 

Reading the Rio news, it clearly states that it is for a new steel cartridge, which is obviously aimed at the waterfowler. It's always been a bit strange that where you can only shoot steel, you end up having to use plastic wads. This seems to be a great step forward as many of the wads will end up in the water and dissolve.

Well done Rio.

Very different on a large sprawling sporting course. Good luck picking them up on the West Wycombe estate...

Madness not to see if progress can be made with this. While some may feel its a PR thing now, it could be something we are pleased to have if legislation (or agreements) come in. 
Will to my way of thinking the best PR that world shooting could pull and it would / should make things at least stay even for the shooters cost wise, should all this eco nonsense be foisted upon shooters, is that the max load for all disciplines be 24g and shot size should also be the same. If all shooters are using the same loadings cartridge prices should be maintained at current for 28g loads with varying shot sizes. Any drop off in scores due to the changes would be proportionate across grades and the only harm done would be to egos that are hurt because the scores is 92ex100 instead of 99 to 100. Let's be honest here manufacturers are not going to not make a profit from something new being introduced to the sport even if it is sudo eco  friendly.

Will to my way of thinking the best PR that world shooting could pull and it would / should make things at least stay even for the shooters cost wise, should all this eco nonsense be foisted upon shooters, is that the max load for all disciplines be 24g and shot size should also be the same. If all shooters are using the same loadings cartridge prices should be maintained at current for 28g loads with varying shot sizes. Any drop off in scores due to the changes would be proportionate across grades and the only harm done would be to egos that are hurt because the scores is 92ex100 instead of 99 to 100. Let's be honest here manufacturers are not going to not make a profit from something new being introduced to the sport even if it is sudo eco  friendly.
I agree 24g for all would be fine. After all it used to be 36g. 

All new products become cheaper in time. It’s almost always down to scale of production.

Armusa brought them out nearly 10 years ago,they were so successful that they don't make them any more......
Diesel engines were awful in 1930. Usually it’s not the concept but some development and cracking the production method that makes things viable. Plus the anti plastic thing is way more critical now, politically anyway. 

These might be limited to steel shot or nonviable due to costs but I applaud anyone introducing environmentally friendly products which help present shooting in the best possible light. A plastic wad may be fairly small but millions are shot every year and a good many end up in undergrowth and farmland where they stay for many years. Let's hope this serves to get other manufacturers to follow suit.

You dont have to be too much of a visionary to imagine what will be the next target if our enemies were to succeed in banning lead shot ! You need an encompassing wad for steel and sure as eggs are eggs ,plaswads will be next on the list !!!! Personally I applaud any company that endeavours to give us a product to combat that scenario.

Diesel engines were awful in 1930. Usually it’s not the concept but some development and cracking the production method that makes things viable. Plus the anti plastic thing is way more critical now, politically anyway. 
i mention a 10 year gap and believe me from what i have seen there is little difference between then and now and you go 90 years for your example......🙄

Armusa brought them out nearly 10 years ago,they were so successful that they don't make them any more......
I saw this post and got a bit baffled. They actually sell them here in Denmark. It's a bit of a marketing stretch from Rio. They could sell used cars with those words. Here is Armusas product from 2013. Just fast forward to 7 min. 

I can see the use for them while out and and about. But on a typical range there is no need (unless the owner states it). We pick up twice a year and recycle. 

Lars

25 minutes ago, LarsJ said:

I saw this post and got a bit baffled. They actually sell them here in Denmark. It's a bit of a marketing stretch from Rio. They could sell used cars with those words. Here is Armusas product from 2013. Just fast forward to 7 min. 

And if you believe that you will believe anything 
Green-Shoot-on-soil-Day-91.jpg

Test-Plot-Grass-soil-Day-3411-225x300.jpg

http://www.clay-shooting.com/features/shooting-without-trace/

Back