Essex Masters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan525

Quick question - I believe the Essex Masters consists of 200 targets across 2 different courses. Are all 200 shot on the same day or do people typically shoot it over the 2 days?

If all in the same day, any tips or advice someone (relatively) new to the sport might find useful for that extra concentration time needed?

Quick question - I believe the Essex Masters consists of 200 targets across 2 different courses. Are all 200 shot on the same day or do people typically shoot it over the 2 days?

If all in the same day, any tips or advice someone (relatively) new to the sport might find useful for that extra concentration time needed?
Most people shoot both courses on the same day, as regards concentration it's no different to shooting two comps at different grounds on the same day. Many regular shooters do a couple on Sundays as a matter of course, some manage 3 (as I have on occasion)  :)

Fatigue aside there is no reason the second (or third) comp should be any harder to do than the first, if anything you may find the extra practice earlier should help. There is no reason your score on the second course shouldn't be higher than the first unless it was set tangibly harder. 

The only thing you really must do is make sure you eat a sensible amount of food at mid day and hydrate adequately. 

You can do either.  We do it in 1 day, others over 2 days.  I was going to say you get a break between courses but the last two years my squad seemed to get only enough time to just pee and get more cartridges.  Others got half hour some longer.  

However you want to shoot!  Hubby and our friends shoot the 2 layouts on the same day, we start early in the morning, have time for a lunch break then shoot the next course. 

Other people shoot it over 2 days, 1 course per day.  It is entirely up to you and John Dyson will be accommodating to what you want.  If you are close to the ground and you are a newcomer to shooting then over 2 days maybe the way to go as it is draining, mentally and physically!  

If you do shoot on the same day make sure you take plenty of fluids with you around the course and maybe something to nibble on whilst shooting, there is plenty of food and drinks there to be purchased and I think one trade stand has lots of bottled water free, he only asks for a donation towards a charity.  

Good luck anyway, you will enjoy it.  We’ve done them every year and have never been disappointed. It’s a great course, something for everyone, and in my opinion the best shoot of the year.  Put it this way, most people on leaving the shoot book in for the following year to make sure they get it, it’s that good. 

I've shot it once and vowed never to shoot it again, and haven't. Nightmare.

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated.

Why were you not impressed tiptop?

I'm wondering - since it's only 3 months away - why are there no dates or anything announced yet? It's a major event is it not?

Dates have been out for months 

Probably nearly full, I booked July last year 

Monday 8th to Sunday 14th of April 

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly a stupid question, when the comp is over is the course still left set up to shoot for several weeks after? or its one of comp then finished.thanks

Possibly a stupid question, when the comp is over is the course still left set up to shoot for several weeks after? or its one of comp then finished.thanks
Dont think so. I think after 1500 shooters have gone through, the ground has had enough.. 

Dates have been out for months 

Probably nearly full, I booked July last year 

Monday 8th to Sunday 14th of April 
Ah OK. I have a place, I'd just expect a little more publicity around it since it's a major comp.

Thanks for the reply mate.

Ah OK. I have a place, I'd just expect a little more publicity around it since it's a major comp.

Thanks for the reply mate.
That shoot does so much business on word of mouth and a couple of flyers.   Its one of my best memories of shooting, great event. 

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated.

Why were you not impressed tiptop?

I'm wondering - since it's only 3 months away - why are there no dates or anything announced yet? It's a major event is it not?
When you have a squaded event and the squad numbers can vary from 6 to 10, things just ain't going to run smooth. No time for a break between the first 100 and the second 100. Coming to the end of the second 100, trap breakdown, squads queued up and not allowed to shoot another stand and come back, as told must be shot in order. The varying squad numbers is just down to pure greed, to get as many through as possible. First impressions and all that...what a load of sh*t, don't need all that with a near 3 hour drive each way.  Saying all that the targets were decent enough though. Still get text messages when entries open, things may have changed hopefully for the better, but I don't want to take the chance.

Going to take a gamble that the Beretta world is better than it was 2 years ago, as they have a different course setter this time.

When you have a squaded event and the squad numbers can vary from 6 to 10, things just ain't going to run smooth. No time for a break between the first 100 and the second 100. Coming to the end of the second 100, trap breakdown, squads queued up and not allowed to shoot another stand and come back, as told must be shot in order. The varying squad numbers is just down to pure greed, to get as many through as possible. First impressions and all that...what a load of sh*t, don't need all that with a near 3 hour drive each way.  Saying all that the targets were decent enough though. Still get text messages when entries open, things may have changed hopefully for the better, but I don't want to take the chance.

Going to take a gamble that the Beretta world is better than it was 2 years ago, as they have a different course setter this time.
Fair enough, you gave it a go!

I'm not sure after a bad experience I'd be in a hurry to return to a competition. This time I'm going to see for myself since it's something I've been working towards but I'd hope for better organisation than what it sounds like you had to put up with.

Fair enough, you gave it a go!

I'm not sure after a bad experience I'd be in a hurry to return to a competition. This time I'm going to see for myself since it's something I've been working towards but I'd hope for better organisation than what it sounds like you had to put up with.
I'm sure everything will be fine. Enjoy.

We done the Beretta world last year and really enjoyed it, it was my first time, used my auto but it was great, not many hold ups and a lovely setting. Enjoy

Never seen squads that big sometimes 7 and once 8 and it has never taken more than 7 hours usually 5.5 with a long lunch break to shoot it which isn't unreasonable considering the scale of it.

Yes it can be a bit hectic and timings can be a little random and last year when they had a trap problem we were asked to move onto the next though with a squadded shoot this creates its own problems.

A great atmosphere and some cracking targets.

I am not surprised to see you slate it as most of your posts seem to say i am not going back there it was sh*t...surprised you have any grounds laft to shoot!

I am not surprised to see you slate it as most of your posts seem to say i am not going back there it was sh*t...surprised you have any grounds laft to shoot!
Pot, Kettle and all that. But the difference is if I don't like where I have been or think that it was sh*te, then yes I do vote with my feet, which is normally advocated on this site.

Plenty of grounds to shoot in the south as you well know, So much so that I can choose what and where I shoot. Neither am I one of those shooters that need to shoot every big shoot.

I don't think just because there is a poor shoot that necessarily makes it a poor ground which you generally seem to,not quite sure where this dearth of grounds in the south you speak of are as there are only 2 that shoot reg just within an hour of me at this time of year and maybe a couple more in the summer for a few months.

As for big shoots in general i like the experience and often the challenge of the targets,sometimes i do feel the balance is wrong or there are some crazy ideas or targets but it doesn't mean it will be the same next time.

What majors do is get me to see and experience grounds i would be unlikely to visit otherwise because of distance and the fact they don't usually shoot weekends.

Do you know who will be setting the course for the Beretta?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back