MK38 Trap > Sporter recommendations?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antse7en

Hi all,

So the gun struggles (documented in the other thread) have basically led to me choosing to go with a Miroku MK3 trap.

I spent most of the day at EJ Churchill today trying a range of guns after returning the B725 - many, many guns! 

All things being equal next week I'll have a new Miroku MK38 trap in 32" barrels.

My aim is to:

• Swap the trap pad out for a sporter/recoil pad and add a spacer (the LOP of the shelf isn't anywhere near for me)
  • Have an after market adjustable comb system fitted (only if I need it that is)
  • Fully Teague the barrels and then stick to a 3/8 & 5/8 combination.
My question is can you knowledgable lot recommend where to go for the above? Also any other suggestions are appreciated. 

Until the Miroku arrives I've got a 692 on borrow, it's OK and fits but not really my cup of tea. Still at least I'm not left gunless. 

Thanks!
A

Have you tried looking for a 'Carl Bloxham special' MK38.

Have you tried looking for a 'Carl Bloxham special' MK38.
I haven't, but simply because my money is tied up in EJ so anything I do having returned the 725 for credit needs to be handled through them. Hence the manual conversion route. 

I fitted an Isis green pad to my Miroku trap gun and it made it a far better gun to shoot. Gunsmith at Doveridge does a good job on adjustable combs and I think Teague does a pretty good job on Teague chokes too  !

Just as an afterthought,  do you know that you can order the MK 38 Trap with an adjustable comb ?  It’s cheaper than getting one modified . 
Really are you sure? We checked the order sheet in EJ today and it didn't list a trap variant with adjustable option.

antse7en said:
Really are you sure? We checked the order sheet in EJ today and it didn't list a trap variant with adjustable option.
The other option I considered was asking Miroku to fit an adj. sporting stock to the trap action and barrels, but then I'm messing around with dimensions.

It’s in the  catalogue on the  Miroku website for Europe   , perhaps it’s not available though . You can download it in .pdf form 👍

but I suspect EJC know a lot more than me 😃

It’s in the  catalogue on the  Miroku website for Europe   , perhaps it’s not available though . You can download it in .pdf form 👍

but I suspect EJC know a lot more than me 😃
I'll let Jon know and reference the PDF thanks Martyn. In any case the after market fitting will likely be superior to the factory I suspect. 

Personally I would go the factory adjustable comb, look on trader web sites, always the factory job looks better. re teagues, ask them first what is the minimum choke they could work on to fit long thin teagues, if they say half, get them to just ream out chokes to say 1/2 and 3/4, then see how you get on with it.

re the long teagues, I have them in mine and never use above 5/8, so if you do get it done I would say go cyl/sk/1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 anything above will just collect dust at home really.  must admit I stick to 3/8  5/8 and mostly could use 1/4 3/8.but dont hardly tend to change.

the one thing I would say re stock is you might find toe length too long for sporting ,I shortened mine after getting a smack in the chops on a low bird.now its fine.          Good luck and lets have a few updates when you get it.

the other thing you could ask churchills is as an option could you have the adjustable trigger fitted at factory, its a straight fit from a sporter action.usefull to have.

A lot of people say about dont like to mess with factory stock settings, my reply isyour good buddy who is 6foot 5 has lent you his decent car as you have a rather nice gal to take to dinner, lets say you are 5 foot 6, the first thing you do is walk around the car,  and thank him,the second when you sit in, slide the seat forward,adjust height of seat,adjust the mirrors....generally thats when people realise perhaps an adjustable comb seems to make sense . its just when set in place dont touch it !

would you buy a car with the seats bolted firmly in place ??????

Last edited:
Since the 725 was sent back as it was pony, why is your money tied up at EJC? If it's not fit for purpose, why couldn't you get your money back like any other purchase?
Fair point that, I can always ask. My understanding of the situation was that in order to avoid sending back to Browning for their view on the issues and letting them decide whether it's for or not, EJ just said no worries on that front credit your EJ account today with the original balance. 

Personally I would go the factory adjustable comb, look on trader web sites, always the factory job looks better. re teagues, ask them first what is the minimum choke they could work on to fit long thin teagues, if they say half, get them to just ream out chokes to say 1/2 and 3/4, then see how you get on with it.

re the long teagues, I have them in mine and never use above 5/8, so if you do get it done I would say go cyl/sk/1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 anything above will just collect dust at home really.  must admit I stick to 3/8  5/8 and mostly could use 1/4 3/8.but dont hardly tend to change.

the one thing I would say re stock is you might find toe length too long for sporting ,I shortened mine after getting a smack in the chops on a low bird.now its fine.          Good luck and lets have a few updates when you get it.

the other thing you could ask churchills is as an option could you have the adjustable trigger fitted at factory, its a straight fit from a sporter action.usefull to have.

A lot of people say about dont like to mess with factory stock settings, my reply isyour good buddy who is 6foot 5 has lent you his decent car as you have a rather nice gal to take to dinner, lets say you are 5 foot 6, the first thing you do is walk around the car,  and thank him,the second when you sit in, slide the seat forward,adjust height of seat,adjust the mirrors....generally thats when people realise perhaps an adjustable comb seems to make sense . its just when set in place dont touch it !

would you buy a car with the seats bolted firmly in place ??????
PM'd you mate. 

Could you not just go for the sporter version and have the adjustable stock added? Seems obvious but must be a reason why not going down this route

Wilts Rod and Gun in Swindon is currently selling a very well sorted MK38 32” Trap Grade 5.

it was owned by the shop proprietor - Tony Manvell, a very knowledgeable and competent shot.

it has a fixed comb, extended stock (15 and 3/8). Factory fitted adjustable trigger, slimmed down trap Forend and a huge selection of Teague chokes.

it weighs 8lb, 3oz. 

I only know all this because I very nearly bought it last week. It is a lovely gun and sounds right up your street as long as you don’t need an adjustable stock.

Hope this helps.

Could you not just go for the sporter version and have the adjustable stock added? Seems obvious but must be a reason why not going down this route
Yes mate, a different stock profile, gun weight, balance point, etc.

Wilts Rod and Gun in Swindon is currently selling a very well sorted MK38 32” Trap Grade 5.

it was owned by the shop proprietor - Tony Manvell, a very knowledgeable and competent shot.

it has a fixed comb, extended stock (15 and 3/8). Factory fitted adjustable trigger, slimmed down trap Forend and a huge selection of Teague chokes.

it weighs 8lb, 3oz. 

I only know all this because I very nearly bought it last week. It is a lovely gun and sounds right up your street as long as you don’t need an adjustable stock.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Squimp - just had a look at that, very nice. Out of interest why did you opt against it? I'd prefer adjustable myself but not necessary if the gun were to fit.

Thing is when you look at a customised Shotgun ,  the changes are the previous owners idea of what they like to shoot with . Personally I like the full beavertail trap forend, as I’ve got pretty big hands it feels comfy . I’m also very particular about the pads and spacers , the Green pads many love are undoubtedly the bees knees , but you will never see one on my guns , even coloured black with a felt tip pen . Why ? Because aesthetically I  just don’t like them .  I I’ve never had a single issue using Kickeez , but many hate them , and neither party is wrong . I’ve not lowered my 38 stock , but lots have .  I like the slim old school Miroku grip so much , I’m thinking of having the palm swell reduced on my Krieghoff , whereas I know some people have palm-swells put on or bodge one .  No matter how good  a shot the previous owner was , the gun  is their interpretation.   The nice thing about sorting your own out is that it is your interpretation . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes mate, a different stock profile, gun weight, balance point, etc.

Thanks Squimp - just had a look at that, very nice. Out of interest why did you opt against it? I'd prefer adjustable myself but not necessary if the gun were to fit.
I didn’t buy it because I don’t really need a new gun ! 

‘However as somebody who likes buying guns I was very tempted. But my head says I should really sell one, or even two before I buy another one. Kemen KM-4 30” with additional 31” barrels anybody ?

I have tried shooting 2x MK38 Trap guns previously and didn’t get on with either of them. The issue was primarily the grip/trigger arrangement - so a gun with an adjustable trigger is a game changer for me. 

‘As Martyn has just pointed out a customised gun is just one person’s interpretation. It just so happens that I could shoot this gun straight out of the shop and I can’t do that with a standard factory version.

i’ve been round the block enough times to now understand what works for me in terms of gun fit and specification. But having an analytical mind and a tendency towards overthinking things means that I’m always looking for a ‘better mousetrap’. That partly explains why there are several 12 bores in my gun cabinet...

Thing is when you look at a customised Shotgun ,  the changes are the previous owners idea of what they like to shoot with . Personally I like the full beavertail trap forend, as I’ve got pretty big hands it feels comfy . I’m also very particular about the pads and spacers , the Green pads many love are undoubtedly the bees knees , but you will never see one on my guns , even coloured black with a felt tip pen . Why ? Because aesthetically I  just don’t like them .  I I’ve never had a single issue using Kickeez , but many hate them , and neither party is wrong . I’ve not lowered my 38 stock , but lots have .  I like the slim old school Miroku grip so much , I’m thinking of having the palm swell reduced on my Krieghoff , whereas I know some people have palm-swells put on or bodge one .  No matter how good  a shot the previous owner was , the gun  is their interpretation.   The nice thing about sorting your own out is that it is your interpretation . 
Funny that you should say that, I am currently having the 'palm swell' removed from my 725, due to my Elton John fingers  !

Fair point that, I can always ask. My understanding of the situation was that in order to avoid sending back to Browning for their view on the issues and letting them decide whether it's for or not, EJ just said no worries on that front credit your EJ account today with the original balance. 

PM'd you mate. 
I'd absolutely be saying to them that if the Browning you've bought isn't fit for purpose then I'd want my money back, can't see how it would be any other way? I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're not entitled to just hold the cash and offer a credit note. They may be able to offer you a direct replacement or another gun but you don't have to accept it as it constitutes you've lost faith in the product, which it appears you have.

Not knocking EJC, and fair enough if you're happy with store credit, but I doubt they're only allowed to offer you that if you've bought it brand new OR second hand and it's failed in such a short space of time?! At least you'd have the cash available to expand your ability to search other avenues...

Depends how far you want to go I suppose: from what you've said, they've not sent it to Browning for whatever reason, but personally, if it had an issue that I wanted rectifying, I'd have gotten them to send it back to be fixed probably and get a proper 725 back. If however, you've sort of changed your mind, gone off the Browning and just want another gun, which is why you're not bothered for them to send it to the manufacturer cos it would resort in you HAVING to accept a 725 if they fixed it, then store credit would possibly be your best bet. Bit like buyers remorse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny that you should say that, I am currently having the 'palm swell' removed from my 725, due to my Elton John fingers  !
I actually liked the 725 palm swell so will likely have the eyesore of some electrical tape wrapped around the Miroku grip 😂

I'd absolutely be saying to them that if the Browning you've bought isn't fit for purpose then I'd want my money back, can't see how it would be any other way? I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're not entitled to just hold the cash and offer a credit note. They may be able to offer you a direct replacement or another gun but you don't have to accept it as it constitutes you've lost faith in the product, which it appears you have.

Not knocking EJC, and fair enough if you're happy with store credit, but I doubt they're only allowed to offer you that if you've bought it brand new OR second hand and it's failed in such a short space of time?! At least you'd have the cash available to expand your ability to search other avenues...

Depends how far you want to go I suppose: from what you've said, they've not sent it to Browning for whatever reason, but personally, if it had an issue that I wanted rectifying, I'd have gotten them to send it back to be fixed probably and get a proper 725 back. If however, you've sort of changed your mind, gone off the Browning and just want another gun, which is why you're not bothered for them to send it to the manufacturer cos it would resort in you HAVING to accept a 725 if they fixed it, then store credit would possibly be your best bet. Bit like buyers remorse.
I think you raise a really interesting point and I can’t disagree with you. I’ll look at having that conversation tomorrow. Thanks 

Back