Pull away

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill.rosa

Hi all

when using pull away as a method for shooting crossing targets does one always have to connect with the target before stretching out to the estimated lead or can one insert the muzzle say six feet in front of the target pull the trigger and the pull away your thoughts on this would very much appreciated 

Definitely touch the target first. This puts you on the start of the line and gives you good information about the target speed. Otherwise you’re just stabbing at a point. 

If it's a really quick target needing lots of lead that I'm worried is going to get away from me I'll start in front and pull away. 

Your probably better off taking advice from Will (AA) then me (B) though.

If it's a really quick target needing lots of lead that I'm worried is going to get away from me I'll start in front and pull away. 

Crossers are not usually problematically fast, especially if they are distant. However if there is something very quick, like a quartering away chondel, I would take great care to hold on the line, then as soon as the target reaches my muzzle, pull away a gap and quickly shoot. Years ago I would try and swing through, with little success, mainly because it’s hard to follow a curved line when doing so. 

Crossers are not usually problematically fast, especially if they are distant. However if there is something very quick, like a quartering away chondel, I would take great care to hold on the line, then as soon as the target reaches my muzzle, pull away a gap and quickly shoot. Years ago I would try and swing through, with little success, mainly because it’s hard to follow a curved line when doing so. 
A lot of quickish crossers that are less than 30 yards away I'm finding myself shooting that way these days.  Hold on the line, let the target come towards the gun and then give a push to gain the lead. Let's me take them earlier than if I come through from behind.

I'm personally not massively keen on touching the target and pulling away on stuff that you have lots of time on.  I end up doing too much fiddling around trying to make sure I match target speed and am exactly on it, making me take things later than I like.

Definitely touch the target first. This puts you on the start of the line and gives you good information about the target speed. Otherwise you’re just stabbing at a point. 
Thanks will

Thanks Bebo

I was teaching my Grandaughter and her boyfriend, yesterday.  They are both VERY novice shooters. As there are no really suitable 'beginners targets' available for general use at the ground, I was forced to use the skeet low house, shot from station 1.(High house)  Using the point at and pull ahead method, I had them both hitting that target consistently within four or five shots. We moved on to stations 2 and 3 and using the same method, achieved a high degree of success. After a quick bit of lunch, we resumed and went to the high tower (aprox 30 yards up) after a few initial misses, both went on to manage 6 in a row without a miss.  Then across to the lower tower, a faster but lower target. Grandaughter managed 6 straight and boyfriend 4. All of this was achieved using the 'Point at and pull ahead' method, a Beretta 303 and 24 gram cartridges through 1/4 choke.

I find that I have more success teaching the pull away method to newcomers though and if I hit a bad patch, especially when game shooting, I use the point at and pull away routine,  to get back on form again.

For me, connecting with the bird gives me exactly that - a connection with the bird!

My obsession with how much lead to give it often detracted my focus from the bird and more on the lead. Touching the target first sort of helps me make sure I'm prioritising the target, to the point I often don't even think about lead and just pull away as a reflex.

I sometimes confuse myself between swing through and pull away. I like to think I predominantly shoot pull away but often due to poor hold point or just lack of concentration my barrels end up behind the clay however I still catch the clay to touch it, match my barrel speed and pull away from it to see the required lead. In that specific scenario is that then swing through, pull away or some kind of hybrid?

I sometimes confuse myself between swing through and pull away. I like to think I predominantly shoot pull away but often due to poor hold point or just lack of concentration my barrels end up behind the clay however I still catch the clay to touch it, match my barrel speed and pull away from it to see the required lead. In that specific scenario is that then swing through, pull away or some kind of hybrid?
Dunno what to call it but It works pretty well for Ben and George. 👍

Latest posts

Back