Approach and Instinctive Shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan525

I recently plateau'd, in terms of score, at English sporting and needed to pull myself out of it, I seemed to be making no progress. Then in practice, recently, I realised what it was - I wasn't planning the shot enough.

I started, in great detail, working out visual pick-up, hold point and kill point a lot more. I'd really focus on doing the same positions each time (in-line with points I chose over the backdrop) before I called pull. And I took 3 or 4 times as long planning the shot and working it out. I've seen great results from this, at least in that session, a LOT more consistency.

I was thinking about why I haven't been doing this so far, and it's because (naturally) I am an overthinker, so I've tried to avoid overthinking by not planning as much. But I've noticed even the pro shooters plan in detail their shot. I've tried to keep the whole thing instinctive by not planning. My question is - do all shooters (even those at the top) need to plan their shot? If so, which part of a shot is instinctive? In your opinion at least.

Thanks for any input on this, I'm interested in sports psychology so seems like you guys are the best to ask.

I would say that this is the optimal route for most people. There are a few “instinctive” types who don’t seem to do it much, but they are the exception. Until you think you are that incredible exception, go with planning.. The only time over-planning is against you is where it causes you to really stop moving I would say..

planning the shot is all good. but if its not working dont forget you sometimes need a plan B. which is normally throw the gun pull the trigger and hope for the best.

A great example i saw at the british open final was,arnie palmer on a dificult target.Missed a couple then just stoped ,thought about it and planned what to do and as you would expect from one of the greats smoked the next ones.Anyone whos done a lot just doesn't suddenly forget what the gap or lead is,a miss is generally down to the process you used to get the gun in the wrong place .

The dreaded plateau, a well known phenomenon, I'm definitely not "one at the top," but if I'm having a bad day I check myself for bad habits like lifting my head off the stock etc, then take myself back to the basics.

I think it should be second nature to plan the shot, I'll get to see one or two people shoot the stand if possible, this is much better than going in cold. Just seeing a pair does not give the same advantage. I don't mean that I want to copy the people going before but I'm checking to be sure I know where the traps are and where the clays appear, consider the pick up and kill points, I think this should be part of anyone's routine. Plan the move to the second clay so this becomes a natural process. Don't forget footwork every time, set up for the kill points not the pick up point. Start with the gun at the optimum point in the trajectory. All basic stuff but it sometimes get's forgotten in the moment.

Often when I get in the stand, I'll find that muscle memory overrides any preconceived ideas, "use the force." Do everything right and you should get back on track.

Planning is good.  The "pre-shot routine" for any game is a plan.  The essence of focusing on process not result.  Two main errors I've encountered are ignoring or changing the plan without a considered alternative and the dreaded "ANYWAY" where you are actually not ready in some part of the process and just go after it "anyway".  For me the gun mount is the common source or the anyway but it can be anything of course.  YMMV

Latest posts

Back