LOP change = annoying change in sight picture?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

This may be an odd question but I am trying to find a solution to a stock pad question.

On my Browning 725 Hunter I found that the longest pad I was using has been great in warmer weather with less bulky clothes, but now find it catches on my shooting jacket and/or vest.  I have changed the pad to the mid-sized one and now it does not catch on my clothes, but I am seeing a large amount of rib and unless I pre-mount I think I am shooting high.

Does anyone know of a suitable pad that I can fit to remove this problem?  My preferred thicker pad is about 25mm.

Thanks

Um, theoretically a shorter pad = shorter lop = higher comb...however imo you would have to go considerably shorter for it to change the cheek position on the comb enough to alter the poi. Are you sure that you have not altered your gunmount in some way to compensate for all these winter layers ?

I don't think so.  My other 2 guns still come up to the cheek as normal so don't think I have changed my mount process.  Really frustrated me yesterday, I was missing targets I usually kill, I had to pre-mount to hit them. 

How much shorter have you gone and is the comb height or rather drop of comb significantly different on this gun ?

I was shooting it very well before the change and I think the 'new' pad is now 20mm so only 5mm shorter.  It is very odd and perplexing.  

Put back on the 25mm pad and cover the butt in nail varnish till you have a smooth finish, this should eliminate it getting caught up on your clothing  Make sure the wife has gone out first though 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was shooting it very well before the change and I think the 'new' pad is now 20mm so only 5mm shorter.  It is very odd and perplexing.  
No way on earth is that going to make any difference, 

Hence the popularity of “ trap” style stocks for general all round shooting where the LOP and or variation in mount , is mitigated by a more parallel comb.  You have taken 5mm off , but you might have say 12 mm extra thickness of clothing giving an increased length  in relative terms  to your summer clothing by 7 mm in this example .   , perhaps you need to go down to the next pad ? 

Hence the popularity of “ trap” style stocks for general all round shooting where the LOP and or variation in mount , is mitigated by a more parallel comb.  You have taken 5mm off , but you might have say 12 mm extra thickness of clothing giving and increased length  in relative terms  to your summer clothing by 7 mm in this example .   , perhaps you need to go down to the next pad ? 
This is a fare point, the 5mm in itself cannot possibly make a difference imho however the cumulative effect of other factors could do. Best thing is to not be such a wuss and ditch some layers 😁

In all seriousness though it is not so.much the thickness of the clothing but the bulk that can make you mount differently due to reduced movement and a general feeling of difference between your usual shooting attire

I am very confused by this. I cannot understand why I am 'suddenly' seeing a change in mount. My fixed hard plated MK60 still mounts fine. Perhaps I am sub-consciously doing something different with the B725.

Thanks IPS, I'll man up and shoot in just a vest 😃

Layers is a possible issues, I have been wearing several lately. Perhaps I should just shoot the MK60 in the winter!

We always shoot in vest . Layer up between stands . No problem. 

We always shoot in vest . Layer up between stands . No problem. 
Thats what i used to do, i hate shooting in layers, i would rather be a bit cold for twenty minutes than struggle to shoot well. A base layer was the only addition i would ever shoot in

PS

I dont bother too much these days , i wear whatever is warm and comfortable when shooting game or in a hide i also swap guns but of course i shoot for fun these days not to win 😁

Do you think the pitch may have altered by the shape of the other pad   ?   I had just the same problem many years ago with a Miroku trap gun. The original Miroku trap pad has a very pronounced curve and the Kick- eeze pad was almost totally flat across the heel. Having no shape to it, the pad never came into the same point twice in my shoulder. Scrapped the Kick - eeze and reverted back to the original pad, problem sorted. Maybe consider the type of pad fitted to the 725 Sporter, my 725 black  (the one that rusts away  ! ) mounts consistently using the supplied squidgy pad thing.

Do you think the pitch may have altered by the shape of the other pad   ?   I had just the same problem many years ago with a Miroku trap gun. The original Miroku trap pad has a very pronounced curve and the Kick- eeze pad was almost totally flat across the heel. Having no shape to it, the pad never came into the same point twice in my shoulder. Scrapped the Kick - eeze and reverted back to the original pad, problem sorted. Maybe consider the type of pad fitted to the 725 Sporter, my 725 black  (the one that rusts away  ! ) mounts consistently using the supplied squidgy pad thing.
You may be onto something

That is worth a look. I am the wrong side of some very nice brandy at the moment to have a look. I will do so tomorrow, Thanks

Well, I think westley was spot on.

As you can see in the attached pic I have now fitted the wider standard Inflex 25mm pad and removed the 20mm pad which does have a perceivable concave form.

When I mount the 20mm pad I can see far too much rib, now that I have swapped back to the 25mm pad with the flatter form I now see a small amount of rib as before so hopefully back to normal.  

You can also see the flatter profile of the MK60 in the pic which is similar to the wider 25mm profile. Looks like a concave profile does not work for me.

I will just have to ‘man up’ and shed layers while actually shooting!

Thanks for the advice, tomorrow we’ll see if everything works as it should!

725 butt pad.jpg

Latest posts

Back