another gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

here we go again  I have recently bought a beretta 692 32" sporter    ,  I was wondering if anyone on this forum uses one  ?   love em   hate em  , anything I should watch out for etc ?    I do change guns a lot  and lose lots of money every time  , so back to basics for 6 months  1/4  1/2   and  7.5 shells  .    my gun is marked cl   I believe that's 2013  ?     your comments appreciated  in advance !

Hi Ant

Some 692s did suffer problems with stocks cracking/failing through the wrist. IIRC If you do a search on the shotgun world web forum there’s plenty of discussion on it there. BTW who did you get to put the Kick Eez butt pad on your old MK60?

Steve

Hi Ant

Some 692s did suffer problems with stocks cracking/failing through the wrist. IIRC If you do a search on the shotgun world web forum there’s plenty of discussion on it there. BTW who did you get to put the Kick Eez butt pad on your old MK60?

Steve
the kickeeze was on when I bought the miroku  , but  fellow shootclayers   will recommend  someone  in your neck of the woods ! 

They eventually gave up trying (and failing) to fix the ejector problems so very recent production models have conventional, non selectable ejectors. You will need to learn how to remove the selector gizmo to check and occasionally replace the 'O' rings which take a hammering every time the gun is fired/opened.

The bigger worry is that as part of Beretta's quest to chisel down costs, they decided that only one tiny setscrew was enough to hold the trigger group to the action frame. (The 68x series were held together with 2 setscrews) The 1 screw idea was first used on the SV10s which were the basis for the 69x series, but on those there was a sort of hook device that held the 2 parts together should the screw fail. On the 692 they scrapped the hook as well leaving just a straight tongue with nothing to locate it and there have been some well publicised cases where the gun literally separated into 2 parts because the setscrew had failed as a result of loosening from vibration. The (cough)fix for this was a drop of non setting Loctite 243 to prevent the screw coming loose.

I would suggest that you or your smith waste no time in checking the top tang setscrew for Loctite.

yikes  I am beginning to have serious doubts about  my new purchase   ,   first shoot with it tomorrow at grimsthorpe  !  :negative:

One of my shooting mates has had a 692 for some time now and shoots about 5 to 6 thousand shells a year and he has never had any problems, don’t get to hung up on what you read on internet just enjoy your new gun

Hope it makes you happy 

The 692 handles well and shoots fine once you adjust to a heavy trigger pull. It's just that no one can explain why Beretta released a product with known issues with a feature that no one wanted anyway.

Doctor, I had a 682 gold e for years, not once did I have any issues with trigger pulls, I cannot think the 692 would be any different 

Now get out there and have some fun with it, let us know how it goes 

Doctor, I had a 682 gold e for years, not once did I have any issues with trigger pulls, I cannot think the 692 would be any different
I'm not dissing the 692 as such and I'm sure they have their fans but the Gold E is a different animal. For a start they were built by trained gunsmiths in the custom shop alongside the DT10 (and the original 686E) and both the Gold E and the 686E had hand regulated triggers. The 692s however, are built in the main factory by assembly workers and are thus subject to greater variation with things like the trigger pull. Maybe they don't all have heavy triggers but the 3 that I tried did and it's a totally unnecessary characteristic which some find hard to get used to.

There must be some reason why people don't keep them very long and accept the hit on trade in.

I'm not dissing the 692 as such and I'm sure they have their fans but the Gold E is a different animal. For a start they were built by trained gunsmiths in the custom shop alongside the DT10 (and the original 686E) and both the Gold E and the 686E had hand regulated triggers. The 692s however, are built in the main factory by assembly workers and are thus subject to greater variation with things like the trigger pull. Maybe they don't all have heavy triggers but the 3 that I tried did and it's a totally unnecessary characteristic which some find hard to get used to.

There must be some reason why people don't keep them very long and accept the hit on trade in.
The poor bloke hasn't even shot the gun yet and your telling him about the faults it may have. You could have not said anything and let him enjoy his first outing with it 

Are you sure? I don't think that even the DT10/11:was/are built in the custom shop. Where the SO range s based and the and the ASE's were.  I did hear the original wide  sliver actioned guns  were finished in the custom shop due to the hand finishing required to produce  the polished action. Pretty sure the 682E was a standard product. 

The poor bloke hasn't even shot the gun yet and your telling him about the faults it may have. You could have not said anything and let him enjoy his first outing with it 
Perhaps you should read his opening post.

Are you sure? I don't think that even the DT10/11:was/are built in the custom shop. Where the SO range s based and the and the ASE's were.  I did hear the original wide  sliver actioned guns  were finished in the custom shop due to the hand finishing required to produce  the polished action. Pretty sure the 682E was a standard product. 
Yes I am sure. It was actually on the Beretta site in the early 2000s.

Perhaps you should read his opening post.

Yes I am sure. It was actually on the Beretta site in the early 2000s.
I did read the first post.................you don't know for certain all 692s have heavy triggers ................your just guessing ! 

Triggers do vary, it’s the nature of the beast. I was loaned a Blaser by EJC for a few weeks before buying mine and hated the heavy trigger. Much to my relief, the gun I purchased was WAY lighter. Supposed to all be the same I suspect. 

I agree with paul, the no 682 or 692 were finished in the custom shop. Only SO and i believe high end eell models such as 687 and DT 

As for triggers, its as Will says, you get what you get some are good some are not. I have had about six different DT models most have been good, two have been brilluant 1 was totally sh*te

Now get out there and have some fun with it, let us know how it goes 
well shot grimsthorpe today  steady round to be honest   gun went fine  smooth to shoot  no trigger issues  , I shot 1/4 1/2   with eley superb 8s   , met a young chap shooting a 692  he was singing its praises     so far so good  ,    88/100   my mate gary top gun on our squad 90/100  ,    time will tell  !!

Latest posts

Back