Beware the man with one gun....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

I have heard this many times I assume alluding to the point that it is better to be a good shot with one gun for all disciplines rather than use more than one gun.  When shooting clays I generally use my o/u but I also really like to shoot my semi-auto.  So the last few times I have taken both guns and shot each one during the round. My average scores if anything have increased a tad so I don’t think changing guns during a round is an issue.

Does anyone else alternate between guns when shooting or are you a one gun shooter?

I'm a one gun man too - truth was when there were more in the cabinet I'd only ever take the same gun, associated with the best previous performance so sold the others.  On the odd occasion I did take two out then that was double the work to clean the things before putting them back....a bit OCD of course.

I'm still pondering a wet weather gun so maybe the DSR will have company again... 

I have four shotguns but only use one for clays and pigeons/game (which is 99% of the time) because I believe you get used to the feel of a gun and do better with it if you don't chop and change.

My .410 and 20G get used a couple of times a year for vermin.

I also have a retired Winchester 101 XTR that I couldn't bear to part with when I bought my Beretta, I lend this to a friend occasionally, who shoots with me sometimes, to justify keeping it.

I alternate between my semi auto and my O/U when clay shooting, but NEVER in the same day and I occasionally take the 20 bore for an outing on clays too. However, I now only shoot for enjoyment so scores do not really matter.   Only to me  !.

These days i cant be arsed i use whatever gun takes my fancy on the day as long as its up to the task of course. 

When i was competing at a reasonably good standard at OT , ABT, DTL i usually had a spare trap gun and to be honest if i was going through a bad spell i found that changing guns for a few months or weeks was usually beneficial, i have no idea why that was though and i am not necessarily advocating doing so.

PS - my go to gun these days is my SxS it works well on formal driven days, rough shooting, pigeon from a hide, duck flighting...its my current all rounder 😁

These days i cant be arsed i use whatever gun takes my fancy on the day as long as its up to the task of course. 

When i was competing at a reasonably good standard at OT , ABT, DTL i usually had a spare trap gun and to be honest if i was going through a bad spell i found that changing guns for a few months or weeks was usually beneficial, i have no idea why that was though and i am not necessarily advocating doing so.
When I was rifle shooting we had something called "the new piece of kit syndrome." we noticed that when one of the team bought a new heel plate, filter, sight or whatever he would shoot well above average for a session or two. We put this down to a renewed interest causing a focus of attention for a week or two, sadly, this soon wore off and we had to buy another new piece of kit to recover the old form (or so we told our wives.)

When I was rifle shooting we had something called "the new piece of kit syndrome." we noticed that when one of the team bought a new heel plate, filter, sight or whatever he would shoot well above average for a session or two. We put this down to a renewed interest causing a focus of attention for a week or two, sadly, this soon wore off and we had to buy another new piece of kit to recover the old form (or so we told our wives.)
As good a reason as anything else 😀

Known to many as the "New Gun Syndrome" and a world-wide phenomenon.   :thumbsup:

AFA the one gun thing goes - I suspect that it is just as easy to be crap at anything with one set of tools as many.  I know a couple folks with shops to kill for that couldn't do the simplest project better than a 5-year old.  Not to mention a Krieghoff shooter, who is really a decent person otherwise, with a $40K miss-infested gun.  Personally, I have a couple guns I shoot more frequently than others but they don't seem to enhance my performance in any particular way.  Hack is hack no matter how it is flavored.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use two guns, one for sporting and skeet as I                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    wn".

The other is a trap gun, which is for a pre mounted style of shooting.

Doesn`t seem to affect me in any way, but saying that, I never mix these on the same day.

Be more aware of the man with a cabinet full of guns, and can shoot well with them all.  :wink:

There is a shooter many of us know in the south who was doing very nicely after just a few years, who began an intense flurry of swapping guns every ten minutes in search of those next few clays. His scores plummeted and he appears to be quitting (or is taking a long break). Find a gun that’s about right and stick with it..

There is a shooter many of us know in the south who was doing very nicely after just a few years, who began an intense flurry of swapping guns every ten minutes in search of those next few clays. His scores plummeted and he appears to be quitting (or is taking a long break). Find a gun that’s about right and stick with it..
Wise words

Without the proper guidance it is difficult to learn what actually is right and far too many people suffer with the almost, struggle away, and never realize their potential.

JMO of course YMMV

Without the proper guidance it is difficult to learn what actually is right and far too many people suffer with the almost, struggle away, and never realize their potential.

JMO of course YMMV
“About right” does mean fairly close to spot-on in my book. However, rather than seek the elusive last 2% from gun perfection, you are more likely to find it from total familiarisation. I speak from bitter first hand experience..

I've got a B525, I usually hit more than 60%, and I genuinely can't see me changing for anything else really as it's just fun for me and that does the job! Hopefully, I'll get more & more accustomed to it and my score will improve through a little practice, more general shooting and a touch of familiarity. :)

FEAR ME!!!!

:D

Back