Very fond memories

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

I had a bad day today for no apparent reason .

Looked at my calendar later and noted that  9 years ago today on  Sunday 10th January  2010 my good friend AJ Smith passed away . I miss him so much .

I had a bad day today for no apparent reason .

Looked at my calendar later and noted that  9 years ago today on  Sunday 10th January  2010 my good friend AJ Smith passed away . I miss him so much .
Tony always speaks very fondly of him, he was kind to Tony when he was starting out on the clays.

I knew John when he was a Trapshooters in the early 70's.  I liked him because he was a lefty like me !

Hamster,

Very true , AJ was indeed of legendary status , but always had time for newbies who were struggling and if asked , good advice was always forthcoming .

I think the reason there are few around today like him and Brian Hebditch is because we are all wrapped up in trying to be the best , whereas both those Gentlemen were the best .

A little anecdote :- I was shooting at Roundwood using my Miroku Trap choked F & Extra Full . Brian had just won I think it was The British . He said to me " How much choke have you got in that? Far too much for Sporting , Ive just won using 1/4 &1/4." 

AJ quick as a flash said " Leave him alone , he's too thick to know better and the bugger could beat us if he did."

Noticably as we have progressed AJ who made his name and fame using a Winchester Trap gun ended up using a Beretta DT10 often choked 1/2 or less .

Patterns and cartridges have improved no end over the years .

Hamster,

Very true , AJ was indeed of legendary status , but always had time for newbies who were struggling and if asked , good advice was always forthcoming .

I think the reason there are few around today like him and Brian Hebditch is because we are all wrapped up in trying to be the best , whereas both those Gentlemen were the best .

A little anecdote :- I was shooting at Roundwood using my Miroku Trap choked F & Extra Full . Brian had just won I think it was The British . He said to me " How much choke have you got in that? Far too much for Sporting , Ive just won using 1/4 &1/4." 

AJ quick as a flash said " Leave him alone , he's too thick to know better and the bugger could beat us if he did."

Noticably as we have progressed AJ who made his name and fame using a Winchester Trap gun ended up using a Beretta DT10 often choked 1/2 or less .

Patterns and cartridges have improved no end over the years .
I remember his change to a DT10 on his comeback but last I read on his choke choice in a magazine article was that he settled on 1/2 - Full but he always maintained that 1/4 will break crossers a long way out and of course he's right. 

I know his nick name was smoker smith which he earned through the hits with his trap gun.

We were great friends of Pat Maloney (who unfortunately passed away several years ago) and he always told us tales of him, Brian, and AJ, my god, the things they got up to on their travels!!  

As you say, these were great shots and great people, always had a word of advice and if I was shooting fitasc I never worried about being squadded with people like them as they never judged, always took you aside after the layout and told you where you was going wrong etc. 

I wonder if the youth of today will be talking about the great shots of today in 20 years time!

We were great friends of Pat Maloney (who unfortunately passed away several years ago) and he always told us tales of him, Brian, and AJ, my god, the things they got up to on their travels!!  

As you say, these were great shots and great people, always had a word of advice and if I was shooting fitasc I never worried about being squadded with people like them as they never judged, always took you aside after the layout and told you where you was going wrong etc. 

I wonder if the youth of today will be talking about the great shots of today in 20 years time!
Yes of course, just not necessarily with genuine affection. That's not to say that there aren't some very fine personalities around today but a few from yesteryear certainly seemed to excel. 

So true, I had him help me at one of the first large shoots I entered back in the early 80’s always happy to help after that 1st meeting, shame there isn’t more like him today

Latest posts

Back