Teague equivalent

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanco

Hi.

In the past I have used a Miroku Trap fitted with Teague chokes at ½ and 5/8.

On the teague info I have it has.

½ = 0.020 constriction

5/8 = 0.025 constriction.

Sadly the gun is not available to me anymore so I am now using a Browning Pro trap. This gun had a huge range of invectors.

Could anyone tell me the what in Browning terms is ½ and 5/8 ???

Thank you

Chanco

I would suggest that MOD is their 1/2 choke and it would be IMP MOD for 5/8 (IF they make one ? ). I am NOT sure but I think the Pro Trap is fitted with DS chokes as in the 725. If that is the case, I do not think they make a 5/8. I think that Teague does both Mod and 5/8 as after sales chokes for DS models.  Briley also do a full range of DS chokes (especially in USA).

Light Mod is just under Half I believe which is itself the same as Mod or should be, not convinced Browning do a 5/8 as standard issue with their guns, the fact that Teague do is because they're an aftermarket supplier with provisions for those wanting half increment jumps. 

As with all things "choke" what they say on the tin and what they throw will almost certainly be two different things. 

Because of the way that Browning have developed the DS chokes system, there is a lot of conjecture that they throw a more open pattern than what they are actually marked as.  I had a pro sport, and I used 2 X 3/8 light mod Teague chokes that threw great patterns for sporting. I think you will find that Browning don't do a 5/8 choke for the DS system,  just buy a 1/2 and 5/8 Teague and put in it.

What are the constrictions on the DS choke tubes?

Browning DS choke tubes are designed to work with the Browning Total Barrel Dynamic System of Vector Pro Forcing Cones and Back Bored barrels.  DS choke tubes have restrictions that give progressive patterns but do not match standard constrictions.

Improved modified is 3/4 

light modified would be 5/8  :D
In the UK Improved Modified is indeed .030" or 3/4. However, most guns are designed for the US market and they define IM as .025" because their idea of Full is .030". Over here we'd reckon that .025" is 5/8 or Light Improved Mod.

In any language Light Mod is .015", aka 3/8.

It's all bonkers as the only thing that matters is the patterns they throw, not how they're marked or what they measure.

In the UK Improved Modified is indeed .030" or 3/4. However, most guns are designed for the US market and they define IM as .025" because their idea of Full is .030". Over here we'd reckon that .025" is 5/8 or Light Improved Mod.

In any language Light Mod is .015", aka 3/8.

It's all bonkers as the only thing that matters is the patterns they throw, not how they're marked or what they measure.
The trouble is though, most modern choke constrictions go up in 0.005" increments, so you know roughly what you are putting in. Then Browning come along and design a choke system that match no industry standards. So how do you know what you are putting in?

I really like my 725 but got very confused by their choke designation vs performance until I found the following. I then bought Teague aftermarket chokes and now I amd happy wityh the choke performance

The below really does re-enforce the understated designations when you look at the choke for the recommended distances

image.png

Could anyone tell me the what in Browning terms is ½ and 5/8 ???
Browning factory DS measurements:

1/2 = 0.009

I don't have 5/8 measurement, but

3/4 = 0.015 (some measurements mentioning 0.012) - therefore 5/8 should be app. 0.010 - 0.012

Accordingly Teague 0.020 is somewhere between Browning 3/4 and LF (light full - 0.026) and 0.025 is Browning LF (0.026)...

From my experience with 0.020 and 0.025 shooting Hull Sovereign 28g is trap choked gun - I do shoot it with Browning factory DS 3/4 (0.015) and LF (0.026) and Teague 1/2 (maybe 3/8) and 5/8 will get you there.

Beware - YMMV!

P.S. Just noticed it is a trap section, but If I'd be buying Teague's for sporting I'd get myself 1/4 (0.010) and 1/2 (0.020), maybe 3/8 (0.015) and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be buying Teague's for sporting I'd get myself 1/4 (0.010) and 1/2 (0.020), maybe 3/8 (0.015) and be done with it.
That is what I did and bought a SK choke as well to cover all usual scenarios

But how many shots make a 5/8 performance and how do you stop it getting to 3/4?
Anyone capable of discerning the difference between 0.020" and 0.025" of choke will be easily able to detect when the 5/8 point is reached and when it is exceeded.  Tho one may suffer the imposition of shooting a 9/16 or 11/16 before the 5/8 is reached or it can be cleaned back to 5/8.  No trick at all for the truly dedicated and competent. 

I've been considering having some of my extra Perazzi tubes honed to half-steps between the standard 3-4-5-6 etc just so I can stay right on top of my game regardless of conditions.

HTH 

So glad I went fixed chokes.........

Baffles me how much time people use on chokes and cartridges.

Lars

Thank you for all your help.

I am going to go modified and Improved Modified for DTL this weekend. 

I don't think I will take the rest of them as that way I will just have to crack on and point the thing in the right place and pull the trigger at the right time.

Thanks Chanco

Good, then get back and let us know how it went. It is always nice to know if thread was of any (good) use.

Latest posts

Back