Pattern Plate for DTL.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanco

Hi. Happy New year !

I wonder if anyone could help me. I want to pattern a gun with an adjustable rib. Specifically for DTL.

The reason I want to do this is so I understand and I can picture in my head what is happening. How "high" is the gun shooting for example. Or low. First question is what distance away from the plate is best followed by any other tips anyone may have.

Thank you 

Chanco

Hi. Happy New year !

I wonder if anyone could help me. I want to pattern a gun with an adjustable rib. Specifically for DTL.

The reason I want to do this is so I understand and I can picture in my head what is happening. How "high" is the gun shooting for example. Or low. First question is what distance away from the plate is best followed by any other tips anyone may have.

Thank you 

Chanco
OK, I'm not a DTL expert, but there are similar targets in sporting..

Distance wise, you could obviously replicate the actual kill distance for DTL, whatever that is.. But i would say that 25 yards is good enough to tell you what is happening. I suggest using a tight choke to make a clear pattern, if Point of Impact is what you are seeking to find. HOWEVER I strongly suggest that the biggest factor of your POI is you, not the gun. If you shoot a pattern plate with a nice still gun it will do little to show what you do in DTL because MOST of your POI comes from your mount and movement. Usually, shooting high comes from moving the gun up through the clay too quickly, or not having your face pressed hard into the stock. Both these things happen in the heat of battle on a moving target, whereas you will be all composed on a pattern plate. This is why I think a pattern plate can be misleading and I only use one for seeing what the pattern looks like, not where it hits..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank  you for your help. I am going on Saturday morning. 

As a minimum assistance to reality, I suggest you start the muzzle of the gun well below the mark on the pattern plate and move up onto it as you fire, as similarly as possible as you would with a DTL target.

don curry  on youtube  has a few  gun fitting  ,  comb height  ,  pattern testing videos  ,    top man  check them out ! 

Will makes some very valid points regarding the pattern plate. In reality the best way to set a gun up for dtl is a straight target from peg 3,( the trap can be locked to throw only straight ones) its better if somebody who knows can stand behind and watch the quality of the breaks, adjust as required until your consistently dusting the target then forget all about it. Sometimes the poa / poi is not what you think it is (as Will rightly points out ) as perception and gun speed play a major role. imho

Last edited by a moderator:
The pattern plate will not tell you anything, can you hold the gun completely still and aim it at the centre point, you can never be 100% sure. 

IPS have given you excellent advice, follow that 

Thank you I have arrange to go first thing Sat morning. Lock the trap up to send them down the middle. Stand on Peg 3 and just get into the groove and hitting them full on. 

Thanks Chanco

Thank you I have arrange to go first thing Sat morning. Lock the trap up to send them down the middle. Stand on Peg 3 and just get into the groove and hitting them full on. 

Thanks Chanco
I think that’s a great starting point to ensure the basics are right. You may find later that you react differently when it’s on rotate and possibly speed up or lose smoothness etc. As I say, it’s all down to how you move and connect with the a) the gun and b ) the target / muzzle. It’s so critical to be the same every shot, which is all down to your mind. 

Thanks Chanco
👍

The thing to remember is shoot as you usually do, its easy to fall into the trap of aiming at the clay trying to figure out your poi (how high its shooting) shoot as normal and have somebody watch the breaks, if your chipping em above or Below then adjust accordingly. Once your dusting em leave well alone unless you put weight on 👍 

Back