RECOIL PAD

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEABAG

HI,

I have had fitted a Kickeeze recoil pad to my sporter.

I have found it "too grippy",, and wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to "smooth" it to a flat shiny type surface.

Thanks for looking.

I got rid of a Kick-Eeze for just that reason, I did have 2 of the original design pads many years ago. They came with a 'gloss' finish, which I was told was clear nail varnish of the 'Hard as Nails' variety. I used the same stuff for fly tying, so had some in the house. I simply painted the back of the pad with that. I found that it did not last too long though and I had to repeat the process every couple of months. Still, it is easy enough to remove using acetone, should you need to do so.  I replaced both pads with Isis pads,  problem sorted  !

A good alternative to KickEeze is the Micro Cell pad from Cervellati. Much less expensive and very pleasant to use. They're similar to the Beretta MicroCore pads, so much so that I wonder if they're produced in the same factory.

I would second the Cervellati pads. Alternatively you can make the KickEez less grippy by covering the sides with black electrical insulation tape. The end of the pad can be treated to a thin piece leather cut to shape and glued on to the pad.😀👍

gunstock 033.jpgI think it is one of those that I have fitted on my Browning 20 bore, for use by my Grandson. Cost around £20 and was easily fitted. The one that I have used is 12mm. and by warming with a hairdryer it bent to the original contour of the heel of the gun, which saved cutting the wood.20181123_151402.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This must be a common problem and I'm surprised there weren't more replies.

My Silver Pigeon 1 came with a grippy recoil pad which I found would not slide over my clothing, my old Winchester 101 XTR had a hard plastic plate so the difference was noticeable and distracting. At the time I found myself adopting a style where I held the gun away from my body slightly and then pulled it directly into my shoulder to stop it gripping my clothing, which I agree is not ideal.

These days I don't think about it and, to be honest, I'm not sure if I still hold the gun away while mounting or if wear and natural patina has taken care of the problem, I suspect the latter. If I think about it over the weekend I'll take a look and post an update

p.s. I did take a look at my gun and the rubber recoil pad is still a bit sticky so, as I'm not having any problems with it, I can only surmise that I have subconsciously modified my style to suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this in a cupboard - not sure if its still available. Worked perfectly I seem to remember.IMG_1222.jpg

Like others I use pvc electrical tape,one strip top to bottom in the centre,then a couple of turns around the outside edge, works good enough to mount but some grip left . not the prettiest solution though.

Latest posts

Back