Owrate?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bede

New member from Stoke on Trent. 

Started shooting around July after enjoying a little session on a Stag do. Recently got my own gun and just about to start getting around the grounds. 

Been having lessons at Mickley Hall but also shoot the the Waggon & Horses at Eaton - Mongleton way, on the first Sunday of the month. 

Will hopefully be joining Wild Boar and Audley Gun Club this month plus joining CPSA and getting on the registered circuits. Been for a look around Doveridge and Cloudside but not shot there yet. 

Hi and welcome Bede, I started the same as you, those stag do’s have a lot to answer for. Also went to Mickley had a lesson with Scott, although think John (his dad) would or prolly been a better choice for a novice. I really need to get out there more to be honest. Planning on a trip to Doveridge at some point and over into wales. What you shooting? And how did your first guns purchase go? 

Hello.

I have had around 13 lessons from John Barnett and can't fault his tuition.  He's taken me from a total novice to potentially knocking on the door of an A class shooter in a very short space of time. (I'll know more of where I stand class-wise once I start shooting at registered shoots.  I'm basing that on my average from shooting Mickley's 'Competition Targets'.)

I have a Caesar Guerini Summit Impact, which I bought through Mickley.  I tried a range of guns with them and John suggested I try Scott's competition gun - his CG Summit Impact.  I'm a biggish lad and the hefty, high-ribbed 32" Impact suited me down to the ground.  John's advice and Scott's kind gesture of letting me use his gun was invaluable to ensure I chose the right fit for me first time, so once I decided that was the gun I wanted they got me one in, second hand, which I promptly bought just before Christmas.

I'd recommend Mickley all day long for tuition. It's a nice friendly, relaxed atmosphere there too.  Other grounds I've been to don't feel quite so welcoming to a beginner.

Hello.

I have had around 13 lessons from John Barnett and can't fault his tuition.  He's taken me from a total novice to potentially knocking on the door of an A class shooter in a very short space of time. (I'll know more of where I stand class-wise once I start shooting at registered shoots.  I'm basing that on my average from shooting Mickley's 'Competition Targets'.)

I have a Caesar Guerini Summit Impact, which I bought through Mickley.  I tried a range of guns with them and John suggested I try Scott's competition gun - his CG Summit Impact.  I'm a biggish lad and the hefty, high-ribbed 32" Impact suited me down to the ground.  John's advice and Scott's kind gesture of letting me use his gun was invaluable to ensure I chose the right fit for me first time, so once I decided that was the gun I wanted they got me one in, second hand, which I promptly bought just before Christmas.

I'd recommend Mickley all day long for tuition. It's a nice friendly, relaxed atmosphere there too.  Other grounds I've been to don't feel quite so welcoming to a beginner.
Thanks for the reply, when I had my lesson with Scott we passed John on the pathways who was coaching another lad, he seemed more laid back than Scott, and I instantly took a liking to him, which I think I would of benefited from more especially in my first early lessons, don’t get me Scott is an incredible shot, but would be more suited to someone who actually already knows how to shoot at a relatively good level. I left Mickley not knowing if I wanted to continue the sport at all due to this experience or if I was even capable of enjoying it, which was a real shame. One main reason for this is the Loaner gun we used simply didn’t fit me at all, I couldn’t get my head/cheek down onto the stock, just grabbed a gun and off we went, no checking for any fit. Very Weird experience to be fair, and one I had to pay for the privilege as well. 

I then looked up a guy called Brian Clegg (mentioned by other forum members) and met him over at fauxdegla, had a fantastic day, a totaidifferent experience and hit some clays! Did some sporting, and skeet which was great fun. This reinvigorated me into the while clay shooting again, which I’m eternally greatful for. 

I will most definitely look John up at Mickley as it’s near enough and thought that the ground offered everything you’d ever need to learn the sport with some challenging stands and easier ones also, clean, well maintained and set out.

Can I ask how long your lessons were? 

Cheers

I had one hour lessons, or a shade more if he'd got nobody booked in after me. 

Shame about your experience with Scott - I've not had a lesson with Scott but John has said I'd benefit from Scott once I'm up to a decent level.  I've thoroughly enjoyed my lessons with John, we have a laugh along the way and I like the way he drops the odd mindgame in with me when I miss a hard target that he knows I'm capable of hitting.

I had one hour lessons, or a shade more if he'd got nobody booked in after me. 

Shame about your experience with Scott - I've not had a lesson with Scott but John has said I'd benefit from Scott once I'm up to a decent level.  I've thoroughly enjoyed my lessons with John, we have a laugh along the way and I like the way he drops the odd mindgame in with me when I miss a hard target that he knows I'm capable of hitting.
This is exactly right mate. I’d agree entirely with what John said, Scott is an excellent shot, way way above my level, think he found it frustrating to be with a new shooter maybe?? Don’t know for sure. Really appreciate you replying with the update. 

Gun related question, how did you end up with the CG? Did you try  any other makes? Did they give you any discount of the gun? , sorry for all the questions mate, just genuinly interested .  Thanks again 

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out shooting a Miroku MK38.  After 2-3 lessons John started to insist I shoot with a 32" gun due to my speed and style of swing.  I continued to shoot either an MK38 or a 3800 for a couple of lessons then I tried the Fabarm Axis.  I quite liked that but it was £1800 new and I didn't really want to spend that much on my first gun so I started to look around at what he had available for a few hundred less.  I took out a Browning 725 that I liked against the Fabarm and the Browning kicked like a mule against the Fabarm so discounted that.  Mounted a couple of Berettas in the shop but found them totally unsuitable for my mount. So, I was looking at the Fabarm again and commented that I liked the higher rib on the fabarm rather than the flatter ribbed sporters that I'd used prior.  Off the back of that John suggested I borrow Scott's Caesar Guerini Summit Impact if the high rib suits me. So, I used that for probably 4 lessons and absolutely loved it - it suited my mount and style so decided to save a few quid more and buy the gun I really wanted rather than settle for a compromise, knowing full well that I'd have to change it within 12 months, alongside John's advice.  I'd say holding out for the gun that really fits has been key to my rapid progress. 

I ended up paying £2300 for a 3 yr old CG Summit Impact, even though my original budget was £1500 tops.  I don't regret it.

Fantastic, thanks again for the reply, sounds like your doing it right and having fun with it, happy days!  Can you use Mickley Hall solo or do you need a mate? Biting at the bit to get out and get my first gun,  but end up in this endless loop of what to get, reality is I just need to get back out and start shooting. Especially now they have a gun shop, When I was last there they didn’t have the gun shop! 

Interesting on the high rib as well, don’t know if you mentioned it but what height are you?

Just googled your gun, that is a very nice piece of kit indeed, although I don’t know a great deal about the brand, will do some research. Now beretta on the other hand, I’ve lost. Ping how many threads I’ve read about them 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people buy Berettas because they're the go-to brand that everybody knows.  I like Berettas, they just don't suit me. Caesar Guerini make very good guns and probably have the best customer service of any brand, from what I gather.  I love my gun.

I'm 6'1 and 15 stone.  I'm quite gangly with long arms and legs and the high rib is very comfortable giving a head-up position which gives a great all 'round view to watch clays into the gun and is kind on my neck & shoulders without having to crouch into the stock.

Mickley have time delayed traps so you can shoot solo, which is really handy as I mostly shoot alone, although my missus has been with me a couple of times to button for me and she quite enjoys it.  Surprisingly she fancies giving it a go! This shooting malarkey's gonna cost me a bloody fortune if she decides she wants a gun - she said she's interested in getting her license over Crimbo!

Latest posts

Back