Gun Mount pt.II

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Spavo

Okay, so asked about gun up/gun down before and got my head around that... the why's, when's, etc. but now thinking more about back to basics, I'm going to start trying to study my gun up mount position as a whole so that I get a more solid base. Will more than likely get a few lessons at some point when I can a) afford it, and b) have the comparable time to be able to hook up with the person I would like to instruct me (you know who you are!! :D ), but in the meantime I've been doing the usual sifting of the tube of you and came up with this vid which seems to make sense. I utterly get that lots of aspect of shooting are completely personal, but for myself and any newbie, is the following tutorial a reasonably sensible approximation of what to do if you want confimation you're along the right path, as that's what I percieve it to be but am blessed with inexperience. :)

After thoughts, observations, suggestions, whatever you want to throw out, thanks. 👍

A very good video I would say! As he says at the end, people get their own styles, but there are cardinal sins..

Seemed to encompass what I've heard (from people I actually think know what they're talking about!) when out and about. Seen all sorts of wierd and wonderful stances but the basics appear to come back to roughly the same from what I can see, just want to see if I'm far off as this clip all makes sense to me.

If possible an hour with one of the top 10 coaches is what I'd recommend. Basically I'm not a big fan of video instruction, but Mike Yardley's gun mount vid is about the best I've seen. It's out there on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video and good to see that I appear, in theory at least, seem to be doing pretty much what the chap says.  My only question mark would be around what I perceive to be a comfortable gun fit and what others think about my gun fit.  The gun feels very comfortable and seems to mount fairly well, but I must try the dry practice more regularly.  Practice makes perfect so they say 😉

If possible an hour with one of the top 10 coaches is what I'd recommend. Basically I'm not a big fan of video instruction, but Mike Yardley's gun mount vid is about the best I've seen. It's out there on the web.

Yeah, did see this first, but he adopts from the gun down position which is a bit ahead of what i want at the mo.

Also, when he points at the camera at the end, he looks to me like he views absolutely square down the rib and everywhere I'm listening and reading says no, you make the two beads like a number 8 so that threw me a bit. Wonderfully subjective this shooting. 😊

Apart from that I appreciate his comments on positioning.

32 minutes ago, MartynB said:

great video here from Ben Husthwaite , that illustrates the importance of foot position 

Yet interestingly even Ben isn’t fixed on this as during a lesson up at Kibworth he often had me go “20%” more side on than straight facing. Meaning my front foot would almost cut across the kill point to a small degree. 

Also, when he points at the camera at the end, he looks to me like he views absolutely square down the rib and everywhere I'm listening and reading says no, you make the two beads like a number 8 so that threw me a bit.
The figure 8 is generally recognised as a good starting point and I suggest you look again at the Yardley vid from about 40 secs where he describes the line of sight to the target as being above the gun. The fella in your vid however is looking dead level along the rib as if it were a rifle. Another difference is how Yardley transfers some weight slightly forward as he takes up the mounted position. Most clay shooters do this, especially trappies. Also, Yardley has his head a little further along the comb and If you look again at the last frames, both the pupil and iris of his eye is above the rib.

I realise watching Yardley's vid is a bit painful, but in my humble opinion his mount, method and 1,2,3 drill is much more suited to clays, especially for novices, than your vid which strikes me as more game shooter oriented.

You're going to analyse this to death if you're not careful. Go out and shoot for goodness sake!

Had a think, and I think Wylye is quite right, I shouldn't worry about how I shoot, just get out there and do it! So if anyone sees a bloke doing the rounds shooting in this style....

th.jpg

...then please come and say hello. :)

Stance is SO last year!

Latest posts

Back