That old Devil called 'Choke' again !

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westley

Well, what a day that was  !   I have put my 725 woodwork in for some 'fine tuning' and resorted to using the old 303 auto. I just took it from the cabinet, into a gunslip and out to the car and apart from pushing the safe to off and releasing that stupid catch to lock the bolt back for when I next opened it, I did not bother to check it.  I was using the usual 24 gram cartridges.  Having got to the ground and taken all the flack for wearing my 'Christmas' jumper, I got togged up, ready to shoot. Now I ALWAYS use 1/4 in both on the O/U and 1/4 in the auto too, so along with my 3 shooting pals, off we go. I was the last of the 4 group to shoot on the first stand, nothing too difficult, a fastish quartering up and away from R to L, followed by a high teal midi in a gap in the tree foliage directly above the first target kill point. I dropped the first teal midi (shot under it instead of blotting it out) but hit all of the rest.  I noted that I was getting a high proportion of 'dusted' targets, but thought no more about it. Next stand dropped another 1 but again 'dusted' the remainder. 3rd stand, fast driven mini, low overhead. I always shoot this gun up, because of the speed and lack of distance, usually a flick of the barrels is all that is needed. WELL, I flicked and missed and flicked and missed again, killing the second target each time. The last pair I managed both, but the driven aspirin was totally obliterated. Well, onward and upward to the next stand, a high R to L crosser pair. Whilst awaiting our turn to shoot I happened to glance at my gun as I took it from the slip. Hang on a minute, that extended choke looks to be ported. Sure enough, it was a ported 3/8 Briley that I had purchased second hand earlier in the year. I then remembered trying it in the gun, to check the thread, got sidetracked and forgot about it, putting the gun back into a silicone sleeve thingy and back in the cabinet. Well, now knowing I had the 'wrong' choke in, need I say more  ?  Suffice it to say, I could not help but start looking at the clouds of dust when I hit something, BUT more often than not,  looking at the untouched clay sailing on. I reckon that little escapade cost me around 10 targets overall and I have to say, even the flashing lights on my Christmas sweater did not raise a smile. So, for all of you 'tight chokes' enthusiasts, you can keep em for me  !....................................Then again, I suppose it could all just be between my ear defenders, could it not  ?    

Last edited by a moderator:
many of the big scoring  consistent   shooters that frequent orston     shoot 3/4  3/4    I make a point of asking  !!     having said that  I have a feeling skillset might play a part !   :victory:  

Honestly, for the life of me I can't see how the difference between 14/ and 3/8th would be that noticeable, unless one was on the slack.................the other on the tight side of their denominations OR that the targets were generally rather close. In my experience Mini's tend to smoke when hit almost regardless of range or choke. 

I do however agree that once you get something into your head and believe in its benefits to your shooting, then a sudden change can play havoc with your mindset and tempo. 

Do you  really think that  an extra . 005” of choke affected your performance ?  I don’t .  I can think of a dozen things that could have , but honestly 15 thou v 10 thou will never be one of them . In fact I rank your choice  of tasteless knitwear as a higher possibility than the “ wrong “ choke  😂

many of the big scoring  consistent   shooters that frequent orston     shoot 3/4  3/4    I make a point of asking  !!     having said that  I have a feeling skillset might play a part !   :victory:  
Yes, I have encountered many shooters who would NEVER shoot less than 3/4 and Full too. Probably goes back to my days of shooting a fixed choke skeet gun and using a different cartridge to 'tighten' the pattern. Seemed to work alright for me.

I cant see 3/8 as apose to 2/8 is gonna make any difference, i think you had one of those days and noticing your "wrong" choke choice merely got in yer head.

I cant see 3/8 as apose to 2/8 is gonna make any difference, i think you had one of those days and noticing your "wrong" choke choice merely got in yer head.
If it had been 7/16 I'd be inclined to go with the choke excuse. But 3/8s.. no way.  Perhaps they just put different targets on this week preparing for 2019. 😉

you answered your own question I think, saying that you got the old auto out, didnt even have a few practice mounts,completly differant to the o/u you have been using of late, probably slightly differant on stock measurements,weight and balance. that in itself is reason enough to have a "bad" day before you even consider 1/8th choke tighter.

I shot like a twonk today. Just possibly because I had a four party weekend and tried to shoot in the middle 🙈😚😖 

Anyway, my remotely passable moments were on the longer targets at 4C. There was a truly long battue which with no birds I hit 5 out of 6. 1/4 choke, 7.5 shot and the best kills were vapour. 

I slept poorly last nite and feeling not 100% this AM but Westley, you made me :lolu: .  ROTF kinda :lolu: !  

You change guns, and a REALLY different kinda gun too, shoot a bit crappy and blame the CHOKE???  I mean award winning :lolu:  material!

you answered your own question I think, saying that you got the old auto out, didnt even have a few practice mounts,completly differant to the o/u you have been using of late, probably slightly differant on stock measurements,weight and balance. that in itself is reason enough to have a "bad" day before you even consider 1/8th choke tighter.
Apart from the grip diameter, I can assure you that the stock measurements, other than density of the wood,  are the same. I understand what you mean by the handling characteristics being different, including a vast difference in the quality of the trigger pulls too, but I doubt that a few practice mounts would have sorted that. The 303 is my 'back up' gun should the O/U be off the road for any reason. I have used it on many occasions over the years that I have owned it and IF I had NOT noticed the choke size and porting, I doubt I would have shot as badly. Hence my saying that I felt the reason was, BETWEEN MY EAR DEFENDERS  !  If anyone is looking for a Briley extended and ported Mobil choke in LM or 3/8, I have one for sale  !   😉

I would be up for the briley but dont think it would fit teague threads !! personally I wouldnt think too much on it, just crack on, does wrankle though when for what ever reason things go weird, hope you get your Browning back quickly and normal service is resumed, either way enjoy krimbo,and all the best for the new year, be interested to know what you think of the trigger pulls on the 725 compared to the older models? is it much of an improvement? cheers

And you know they were telling the truth .... how :)   :)   :)  

Honestly , while us plebs are fiddling about with chokes, cartridges, fancy sights, recoil absorbers and the relative benefits of oiled vs polyurethane stock coatings, the blokes with real talent are out there just breaking clays! :)  

And you know they were telling the truth .... how :)   :)   :)  

Honestly , while us plebs are fiddling about with chokes, cartridges, fancy sights, recoil absorbers and the relative benefits of oiled vs polyurethane stock coatings, the blokes with real talent are out there just breaking clays! :)  
+1

so true, I like varnished stocks, wipe it of put it away,doesnt matter what the weathers been its great.

I would be up for the briley but dont think it would fit teague threads !! personally I wouldnt think too much on it, just crack on, does wrankle though when for what ever reason things go weird, hope you get your Browning back quickly and normal service is resumed, either way enjoy krimbo,and all the best for the new year, be interested to know what you think of the trigger pulls on the 725 compared to the older models? is it much of an improvement? cheers
Thank you for that. I will PM you regarding the trigger.  W.

so true, I like varnished stocks, wipe it of put it away,doesnt matter what the weathers been its great.
It's a Beggar when they get scratched though  !

Latest posts

Back