contacs v glasses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

as a old person  my eyes like the rest of me have had it  !!!   I've been shooting  with Contac lens   and been happy enough ,   but I've decided to have some Zeiss shooting glasses  from stewards of bisley   ( purple )   prescription lens  obviously    ,    my glasses dial out my astigmatism   as I could not wear torric lens ,    anyway great service from simon goldsmith  quick turn around too ,  acid test tomorrow borders wood !!             

I had a set of those ! From the same opticians , over 25 years ago , nice to see they are still going !  Quality frame and lens . 

After a few years I took the plunge and had LASIK , which I was lucky in as much as it corrected my  distance vision problems , although now in my early sixties I need reading glasses . Good luck on your trial shoot . 

You may find it takes a while to get used to them, took me a couple of weeks when I made the swap. Best of luck.

One also has a pair, use now restricted to "practice" as they are for an old prescription, this the only drawback, my eyesight is slowing getting worse and I did not question when originally purchased, on how much use I will get out of these until I needed /was in real need of another prescription pair. If you get drift.

Also a torrid contact lens wearer, lucky for me Im comfortable with them.

One also has a pair, use now restricted to "practice" as they are for an old prescription, this the only drawback, my eyesight is slowing getting worse and I did not question when originally purchased, on how much use I will get out of these until I needed /was in real need of another prescription pair. If you get drift.

Also a torrid contact lens wearer, lucky for me Im comfortable with them.
torric   :oops:

I only wish I could get on with contacts but just couldn't for shooting when I tried them. As soon as I get my head down on the stock and look upwards they wanted to pop out.

I have a set of glasses with prescription inserts ( Evolution Hawle RX) that do....sort of and I use but I really would love a pair of Pilla or similar with my prescription in. I just cant justify the crazy price of them.

I considered buying a set of second hand Pilla and then trying to get the insert thing to have that glazed. I feel like I need glasses like Dennis Taylor for a clear view without the frame being in the way! But sadly I cant find anything to suit my £350 budget  :thumbsd:  For an eyesight test, glasses (single lens),  prescription insert, prescription insert frame (£110 for a piece of plastic) your looking at over £500  :fie:

There is a guy i see occasionally at the club shoot Andy something who has some Dennis Taylor style in purple pretty sure he got them from a local optician and i know they were cheap,i will see if i can find out.

I’m mainly using Specsavers these days. Buy a big frame. They do a few colours including a mid yellow. I stick some little bits of foam to the nose rests to raise them up for shooting eyeline. About £100. 

Of course, IF all else fails, you could just have a chat with one of our Members..................................Ed Lyons.   He seems to have an awful lot of satisfied Customers   🤔

He does and with no offence ment but their wallets I suspect are some what fuller than mine.

It's a shame as he's on my doorstep but it doesn't change the cost. I may just try again to pick up a something pilla second hand as cheap as I can and buy the prescription insert and get my local optition to glaze them for me like he did the others. Am sure there will be technical aspects am not aware of that Ed will be, but unless I come into some money that's my best option I believe.

don't just look to Pilla's , have a look at Castellani, they are similar in style and lens fitting and colours. They are a lot cheaper, I had Hi-Defs and more or less for the price of 1 coloured lens  I got a brand new frame and 3 lenses from Castellani.

Of course, IF all else fails, you could just have a chat with one of our Members..................................Ed Lyons.   He seems to have an awful lot of satisfied Customers   🤔
he  really is top draw   ,   but sadly  I am a pauper !    :umnik:  

I hear what you say Doc, but ONLY through ONE ear  !  I can also see what you mean, BUT having nearly lost the sight in ONE eye 2 years ago, I have now invested in some excellent shooting glasses. The thought of causing any damage to my eyes or further damage to my already knackered hearing,  did not appeal to me. Having already paid out a lot of money for laser surgery, many years ago, it seemed daft not to enhance my visibility,  or to protect it in the best way possible. 

my wife says laser eye surgery would be a waste at my age !     little charmer .  :cry:     think I would need  intraocular lens  fitted ?      was yours a success   hope so !!   

At the time I had LASIK ,  15 years or more ago I think it was £2800 , paid over 3 years “ interest free “ . My contacts and solutions were costing me around £400 a year . So there was a £3200 benefit to date  , but that was reduced by an average £45pa cost for reading glasses . So I reckon I’ve saved over £2000 in that period , ( plus a whole lot of hassle )  .  I don’t think any technique that enhances your vision is a waste of money at any age , I’m sure I’ll need cataract surgery before I pass through the pearly gates 😂 I’ve never regretted getting it done . 

I use Decot shooting glasses and the price for them here is well under your budget limit.  I just had a new pair of lenses made to my revised prescription and that was $125 fitted to my Hy-Wyde frames which I've had for many years.  Your duty/vat might cause problems tho.

I had cataract surgery a few years ago.  Cheap, painless, stunningly effective!  You will never regret having it done.

With reference to my laser surgery being a success, er................well, I've NEVER looked back !  When I was due to go on one of the several driving courses, when I was in work, it was usual to have an eyesight test. It was found that I needed glasses for distance, which I had to have prior to going on the course. Having completed and passed the course, I was told that I needed to be wearing the glasses at any time I was driving one of their vehicles, or NOT be insured. The glasses were paid for by work. After around 6/7 years of wearing them, taking them on and off each time I got out of the vehicle, having them pushed into my face taught me to leave them in the vehicle. They were renewed each year, or replaced when damaged. I was doing a lot of clay shooting back then, including competitions and glasses and rain were a pain  (note the poetry ?).  A GP friend, suggested  laser surgery. He had 2 Receptionists who had both 'been done' and it had been a great success. So, that was it. I signed up for both eyes (obviously 1 at a time) with Optimax in Manchester, just after they opened their place there. After having both eyes done over a 2 year period, it was a huge success and changed my life completely. I did need reading glasses, which I was warned about before the surgery, but I can live with that. That was back in the early 90's and I have not had any problems until 2 years ago when I had a detached retina. That required surgery and a follow on cataract operation. I did ask if it could be connected to the laser surgery and was told a definite NO. I was never given a reason and I do not believe anybody knows how detached retina's occur, but I would NOT like it to happen again. 2 weeks of laying down all day, in one position, I did not find easy  ! (they call it posturing !). My left eye was always weaker after a couple of minor strokes and is now lower and partially closed, the Grandkids just call me Isiah  ! (think about it).   But, hey, I do NOT have a master eye problem  ! I am now mid 70's and usually manage to hit 75% plus when shooting, I am happy to live with that. If you are interested in laser surgery, then I would certainly seek advice, that usually comes FREE. At NO time was I put under any sales pressure by Optimax, in fact quite the reverse. I was impressed that they still had my records too, which I needed when I had the retina surgery. It certainly worked for me.

very interesting  thanks for the info   ,   75%  after all you have been through  !!    I would be more than happy with that .   :thumbsup:

Hey,  WAIT until I get my 725 back (you know the one, it has a rust/black action !)  I am having the palm swell removed to suit my Elton John hands and I have enough swellings without having them on the gun too  !  Should be good for er..........................76%    😂

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back