Light strikes and fail to fire

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

Seen a number of these recently , mainly Fiocchii cartridges , but some others . Often in Browning or Miroku brands bottom barrel .

When asked if their gun has been serviced recently ? Blank stare ! Pardon? What do you mean ,service?

The Browning design has a very shallow angle of strike for the bottom firing pin , plus a shoulder that limits travel .Powder residue and carbon deposits from fired cases can over a very short period of time build up and limit firing pin travel , causing light strikes to primer face . If you suffer this issue , first try a differnt brand of cartridge as a temporary fix , but as soon as possible get your gun serviced and firing pins checked.

I've seen this with a Beretta and a Blaser while loading this season too, I've come to the conclusion that the owners just don`t look after or maintain them and so anything neglected is likely to fail soon enough. Its amazing how folk can afford the days shooting but fail to look after the guns.

Over the last 6 or 7 years of reffing I've seen dozens & dozens light strikes. Maybe once on a Blaser and 3 or 4 times on K80s but all the rest have been Brownings or Mirokus, and almost all bottom barrel. I can't say if it's more prevalent on any particular shell but it seems to be more about firing pin erosion through pitting than anything else. I have been told by a proper gunsmith (now deceased) that the length of the bottom pin is critical, and thanks to manufacturing tolerances, they might cause problems after only a few hundred rounds or they might go 50,000.

Interestingly the ones he made in his workshop from silver steel not only worked but didn't erode like the originals from Miroku.

Over the last 6 or 7 years of reffing I've seen dozens & dozens light strikes. Maybe once on a Blaser and 3 or 4 times on K80s but all the rest have been Brownings or Mirokus, and almost all bottom barrel. I can't say if it's more prevalent on any particular shell but it seems to be more about firing pin erosion through pitting than anything else. I have been told by a proper gunsmith (now deceased) that the length of the bottom pin is critical, and thanks to manufacturing tolerances, they might cause problems after only a few hundred rounds or they might go 50,000.

Interestingly the ones he made in his workshop from silver steel not only worked but didn't erode like the originals from Miroku.
Soft pins on Mk;s and Brownings. I got a machinist to knock me up some pins from hardened steel and they just lasted....and lasted forever

Seen quite a lot of low primers in the last year,i would suggest anybody having a problem simply just puts another shell flat metal to metal halfway across the primer and see if you have a gap before panicking about problems with your gun.

Soft pins on Mk;s and Brownings. I got a machinist to knock me up some pins from hardened steel and they just lasted....and lasted forever
I don't know if they're soft or maybe hardened but not fully annealed, but I've had 6 Italian guns and none of them suffered from FP erosion.

Seen quite a lot of low primers in the last year,i would suggest anybody having a problem simply just puts another shell flat metal to metal halfway across the primer and see if you have a gap before panicking about problems with your gun.
I've seen low set primers too but they don't seem to bother Beretta, CG, Perazzi etc. There's no getting away from the fact that the Miroku/Browning FP issues have been going on for many years.

Latest posts

Back